Episode 1: Flipped

∞ Over and Over Again ∞
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

flipped

»  "I'm leaving mom!" you shout from the door to your mother in the kitchen.

"Is Mark there already?" she shouts back.

"Yea! Bye!" you close the door behind you and you run to your boyfriend's car. You have been in America for a little over 11 years now. You came from South Korea when you were only 8 years old because your parents wanted you to receive the best education possible. You are now a second year college student at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA). Mark Twan is your boyfriend of 3 years now and you both go to the same college and met at Arcadia High School. 

"Good morning," Mark hands you your daily Oprah Chai Latte from Starbucks and you give him a quick peck on the lips.

"What-? That's it?" Mark smiles playfully and puckers his lips for more. You chuckle and kiss him, a bit longer this time. He smiles and thanks you for your kisses.  Once you get to school, Mark walks you to your first class and then goes to his class.

---6 PM---

Your last class just finished and Mark is on his way to pick you up. You are happy. Your life in the US is pretty easy going. You have lots of close friends, a boyfriend who loves you, and a family who always look after you. 'I wish this never ends,' you smile to yourself as you think pleasant thoughts. Mark finally comes and he takes you home.

Usually when you come home, your mother has just finished setting the table and you and your father enter at the same time. He would usually greet Mark with a firm handshake and Mark would say goodnight to both you and your dad. But tonight was different. You approach the door by yourself tonight and when you open the door, the table has yet to be set.

"Omma? Is everything alright?" you drop your backpack next to the shoe rack and approach your parents, who are huddled close to each other.

"Sarah...Suk Hee-ah," your mom approaches you and holds your hands in hers. You start to get a bit worried that something grave might have happened.

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" you ask once again.

"We're moving back to South Korea," your dad breaks the news to you. You stay frozen for a while, unable to process.

"Oh!" you exclaim, "When are you guys leaving?"

Your parents exchange looks, "Honey, the three of us are going back to Korea." You look at them, frozen yet again.

"How long are we going to stay there? 1 month? 2 weeks? 5 days?" you ask, afraid of what their answer is going to be.

"We're going to stay there. Permanently." This puts you in extreme shock. Your shoulders slump and you don't want to believe anything they're saying. You make your way to the couch to sit down and process everything.

"Suk Hee-ah, your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter