Chapter 8

Crestfallen

It feels like a dream. The moment she open her eyes, she realise that what happened wasn’t a dream, but a reality. The person lying down beside her isn’t someone she once hopes too, but someone new in her life. Someone that she promised she will try to open her heart to. Chaeyeon stares at the sleeping Junmyeon with a soft gaze, her hand reach to his cheek to caress it softly. Feeling guilty that he has to wait for her to open up to him without complaining much about it.

 

“You awake?”

 

His voice is croaked. Chaeyeon nods as she smiles, her hand still caressing Junmyeon’s cheek softly even when she knows that Junmyeon is looking at her. Probably wondering why she is different today. Even so his heart is full with happiness in the morning, this is something that he never experience before. Having Chaeyeon beside him after he woke up and feeling the warmth of her body against his.

 

“Do you want to go out with me today?”

 

“Hm? Where to?”

 

Junmyeon holds her hand and bring it near to his lips to kiss it softly. “Date? Anywhere you want to.”

 

“Let’s drop by my house first so I can change my clothes, okay?”

 

“There’s no need to do so.”

 

Chaeyeon clears when Junmyeon brushes his lips softly against her hand, nervous that Junmyeon get too touchy with her early in the morning. But Chaeyeon thinks this is a normal thing to do between couples, so she let him be. After all, she wanted to try this too.

 

“I don’t have any new clothes, Junmyeon.”

 

Junmyeon only stares at her with a loving gaze, telling her through his eyes that he is in love with her. Chaeyeon raises her eyebrows when Junmyeon remain quiet. “Are you day dreaming?” Junmyeon let out a soft chuckles as he let go of her hand and stands up.

 

“Nope. But..” Junmyeon open his closet and pull out the drawer. He rubs his nape as he look at Chaeyeon, gesturing her to come and see what’s in the drawer. Chaeyeon immediately stands up and walk over, only to be surprise at what’s in the drawer.

 

She look at Junmyeon with questioning face. “..What’s this? Why is there a women’s clothes in your drawer?”

 

Junmyeon look at her with an amusement smile, wondering if she is jealous, or mad that there’s a women’s clothes in his drawer. “Are you..jealous?”

 

“No, but I’m serious.” She shot him a glare. “Dead serious.”

 

Junmyeon let out a soft chuckles. He pull Chaeyeon closer to him and hug her from behind, making the woman blushes but she hide it very well. He whisper softly, “That’s yours.”

 

“What?”

 

She turn around to face him, taking a step back so that there’s a gap between them although Junmyeon still has his arms wraps around her waist. Junmyeon nods, a teasing smile plastered on his face.

 

“Yours. Your mom gave it to me.”

 

“For what?”

 

“Well, you surely doesn’t want to know the reason.”

 

“I wanna know.”

 

There’s a playful smile now on Junmyeon, teasing her that she will be embarrassed if she know what the reason is. When she insisted that she still want to know, and that she wouldn’t be embarrassed for whatever the reason is, Junmyeon take a step forward to close the gap between them, he leans down to her as he smile, making Chaeyeon flustered.

 

“So that when you come over my house so suddenly and we do that thing, you will have clothes to change in the next morning.”

 

Chaeyeon immediately pushes him away from her, her cheeks is flushed red from the sudden embarrassment she feel at the moment. Junmyeon has a great time laughing and teasing her until she kick him out of his own room.

 

Chaeyeon didn’t know that Junmyeon has this playful side too. All this while, she thought he is the serious kinds of a guy, where he don’t know how to get playful, unlike Jongdae. But one thing she have to admit that Junmyeon can get very touchy with her when she didn’t stop him. Well, maybe she will get comfortable with it as time passes. Just like she is comfortable with whatever Jongdae did before.

 

Junmyeon let her have her alone time to get ready while he use the other room to shower and get ready as well. Chaeyeon walks out of him room with new clothes, realizing that Junmyeon isn’t ready yet, she make her way to the kitchen. She scan the kitchen to find whatever thing she can made to bring for the picnic.

 

After so much thought, she made them a toast, and cut some fruits before she place them in a Tupperware. Junmyeon approach her when she’s still making a kimbap.

 

“We can just buy the food, sweetheart.”

 

Junmyeon helps her by putting the Tupperware in a paper bag. He then settle himself on the chair, watching Chaeyeon roll the seaweed to make a kimbap.

 

“Typical rich guy.” She playfully rolls her eyes. “What I made is way more delicious than the one they selling.”

 

“Right. That’s so true.”

 

Junmyeon scans her expression, wondering if she’s already okay. But judging from the mood right now, he thinks that Chaeyeon is at least not sad like last night.

 

“Why are you staring at me?”

 

Truthfully, he want to know what happened. Why did she came last night while crying? But Junmyeon decided that its better if he didn’t ask, he doesn’t want any fight with her anymore. Junmyeon shakes his head before he stands up, helping Chaeyeon with the kimbap and finally put the last Tupperware in the paper bag.

 

“Let’s go?” Junmyeon hold out his hand to her and Chaeyeon gladly hold his hand, making Junmyeon’s lips stretch into a bright smile.

 

After getting in the car, they head to the popular park where Junmyeon found on the internet after half an hour browsing through the internet. When they arrive there, Junmyeon pick a spot near a tree and set up the mat on the grass before they settle themselves on the mat.

 

Chaeyeon arrange the Tupperware on the mat and open the lid, while Junmyeon leaning against the tree, watching Chaeyeon with a smile plastered on his lips. He didn’t realize that he was staring until Chaeyeon call him name.

 

“Junmyeon.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“I never tell you about my past right?”

 

Junmyeon slowly nods as he look at her. “You don’t know what happened to me before?” He nods again. He is really curious to know what happened to her so much so he almost ask her mother about it. But Junmyeon shrug it off and believe that Chaeyeon will tell him about it one day.

 

Chaeyeon forms a thin smile as she change her position to sit comfortably. She feeds Junmyeon a kimbap, making him smile. Junmyeon thinks that this is a progress in their relationship because Chaeyeon is making the first move after so long. Realising the rather nervous expression on Chaeyeon, Junmyeon holds her hand as he remain smiling.

 

“If you are not ready yet to tell me, it’s okay. Take your time hm?”

 

Chaeyeon gazes at his features, wondering why she didn’t fall in love sooner with him. He’s handsome, he’s kind, he’s rich, he’s not fussy and what’s important is he loves her. Although she don’t know why on the earth he loves her.

 

“What do you know about my past? Didn’t my mom told you anything?”

 

Junmyeon shakes his head as he eat another kimbap. “Your mom wanted to tell me everything, but I figure out that it might be the best if you are the one who tell me everything. Also…” He glances at her when she look down on the food in front of them. He continued in a low voice. “..you are a widow.”


She freeze upon hearing the title coming out from his mouth. It didn’t hurt this much before, but it’s probably hurt now because the guy she finally open up to actually realize that he is dating a widow, making her feel insecure.

 

She nods as she fake a smile, Junmyeon seems didn’t notice the fake smile though. “You are right. I’m a … widow.” She swallow bitterly. “I don’t want to keep things from you anymore.”

 

The foods are long forgotten when Junmyeon has his all attention to Chaeyeon. He nods, signalling her that she can spill out whatever she want to, his hand holding her hand. Chaeyeon takes a deep breath before she looks at him, still unsure of how to tell him about her past.

 

“I once was pregnant.”

 

Junmyeon nods again while looking at her, encouraging her to speak. It’s hard to talk about the bitter incident that cause her marriage broke into pieces. “I lost the baby because of miscarriage.”

 

Junmyeon caress her hand softly, still didn’t say anything as he don’t want to interrupt her. He is surprised by the fact that she once pregnant, but he is more concerned about her pain expression. He now knows how much her past is hurting her, even until now.

 

“I fell from a chair and lost my baby.” She stops for a while before she continue. “And because of that we got divorced.”

 

“Why?” A thin of frown forms on his forehead. “Was it because you lost the baby that he asked for a divorce?”

 

Chaeyeon slowly nods. The flashback of the bitter memories make her heart tighten, so close to shed tears. “Yeah..” It comes out as a whisper as she’s trying not to shed tears in front of Junmyeon. She inhales deeply. “He thought I don’t want the baby. He thought I murder my baby. H-he doesn’t trust me anymore, that’s why he asked for a divorce.”

 

“You didn’t try to stop him?”

 

“I did. I lost my mind when he said I murder our baby, it hurts me a lot that I decided that it’s the best for us to go on our own way.”

 

Junmyeon couldn’t find a good words to comfort her, he know how much the incident hurt her so much so she close her heart for someone else. Junmyeon pull her into a hugs, he caress her back softly as he places a soft kiss on her head. Chaeyeon shut her eyes briefly as she feel Junmyeon's kiss on her forehead, feeling somehow relieve that she told him half of what has happened. "Don't you want to know what happened last night?"

 

Junmyeon pull away from the hug, still holding her hand. "I am. But if you don't want to, it's okay baby."

 

"..no." She whisper softly. "I want to tell you everything, including who is my ex-husband."

 

It doesn't matter to Junmyeon who is her ex-husband. All he want is to live with her because God knows for how long he's in love with her. But Junmyeon figured out that to live with her who keep the pain by herself, he need to know her story. Junmyeon nods. "Go on, sweetheart. I'll listen to you."

 

Chaeyeon once again inhales deeply before she exhales it slowly. "I slept at his house." Junmyeon looks taken aback by the sudden confession, but before he jumps into any concnlusion, Chaeyeon quickly add, "His mom was there."

 

"Oh..I thought.." He let out a dry chuckles. "You scared me."

 

Chaeyeon smiles lightly, fully knowing what he meant by that. She then continue telling him how she ended up sleeping at his house, and how they talked about their past. But she couldn't bring herself to tell Junmyeon that Jongdae wanted to try the relationship again with her.

 

"Why are you guys still talking about it if it hurts both of you?"

 

"I don't know..."

 

Junmyeon let out a sighs before he cups her cheek softly. "Sweetheart, past is the past. Talking about it will only make both of you hurting, no?" He caress her cheek softly. "I don't want you to be hurting."

 

"Junmyeon.."

 

"Hm?"

 

He softly touches her bottom lips as he stares softly at her.

 

Chaeyeon gathers her courage before she said, "He wanted to get back with me."

 

Junmyeon could only stares at her without saying anything for a moment, his hand drop on his own thigh. "How about you?" He asks with an unreadable gaze.

 

"I have you." She said softly. Junmyeon still staring at her until his phone buzz with a ringtone. He runs his fingers through his hair as a sighs escapes from his lips, he then stands up and answer the call a bit far from her. Chaeyeon watches him as he speak with someone over the phone, his expression doesn't look pleased at all so much so it started to worry her. It took him less than two minutes to end the call before he approach her back.

 

Junmyeon kneel down and starts to pack their food again without saying anything, not even bother to look at her. She taps his shoulder lightly, "Junmyeon, what's wrong?"

 

"I will send you back to home"

 

The drive to her house is filled with silence. Junmyeon didn’t say a single word to her since they are in the car and she wonder if he is mad at her for sleeping at Jongdae’s house, or if he’s mad that Jongdae wanted to get back with her again. Chaeyeon fidgets as she glances at him, he has the same expression when they were fighting at the restaurant week ago.

 

“Are you mad?” It bothers her a lot that Junmyeon is acting this way. She’s rather fighting with him than giving her a cold shoulder like this. Junmyeon let out an annoyed sigh as he rubs his face lightly.

 

“Damn it.” He cursed slowly. “Let’s just talk later.”

 

Junmyeon drives without saying anything to her. Even when they arrives at her house, he still didn’t say anyting to her. When Chaeyeon said that she will call him later in the night, Junmyeon only nods at her. Chaeyeon fake a smile before she get off of his car, she was about to bid a goodbye before Junmyeon drives off without even looking at her. Chaeyeon swallow bitterly, wondering why he is acting this way. She’s scared by the way his mood changes after what she told him. Once again, she go to sleep with a heavy heart just like when she slept over Jongdae’s house.

 

***

 

"How many days do we have until the wedding?"

 

"A week." Her assistant replied. "I checked with our team, they said the supplier will start deliver our items today. So we will have enough time to set up the garden." Chaeyeon nods as she sign the last proposal. She checks her phone before she look up at her assistant, hesitant to say something. When her assistant raises her eyebrows, she let out a soft chuckles. "What about photographer?"

 

Chaeyeon left her works for a long time until she couldn't recall what is her recent project, thankfully her assistant is smart enough to let her know that she keep the noted in her PC.

 

"I called Event Studios and they said it's all settled. We just have to wait for the wedding day."

 

Chaeyeon nods as she once again scrolls through her phone, crossing the things that they've done and checking what they haven't done yet. She look up at her assistant once again, "Can you email them two days before the wedding? Just in case they don't remember."

 

"Sure."

 

Chaeyeon watches her assistant walks out of her office before she sighs in relief. She leans her back on the chair as she close her eyes, mentally note that when her recent project is over, she will take a short break, probably agreeing to be a florist just like what Junmyeon suggested. She grab her phone and scroll through it again, checking her emails and SNS before she hears a knock on the door. Her assistant open the door. Chaeyeon look at her with a 'why' face. "Meeting in five. Mr. Kim want every team leader."

 

"Alright, thanks."

 

Chaeyeon grab her stuffs and immediately walks towards the meeting room. She is surprised that she's the only one who's late and everyone are there in their seat, including Junmyeon. She mutters 'sorry' as she settle herself on her seat. She glances at Junmyeon who seems don't care at her existance eversince yesterday.

 

"I don't want any one of you late in the next meeting. Or else, you can just quit." Chaeyeon pretty sure that those words are meant for her, but she shrug it off because there's no point in talking back, especially in his company. Team Leader Kang who's next to her pats her thigh softly to calm her down, she gives her a smile. Junmyeon starts the meeting by asking every team leader their progress, like usual. When it's her turn, Junmyeon simply stare at her without saying anything that it makes her nervous.

 

"Meet me in my office in five minutes."

 

He said before he end the meeting and walks out of the meeting room. Chaeyeon let out a sigh as she gather her stuff hurriedly. She turns to Team Leader Kang when she taps her shoulder. "Are you guys fighting?" Chaeyeon sighs again as she shrugs. "I don't even know." Chaeyeon walks towards his office as soon as she can but when she arrives there, Junmyeon isn't in the office. She get a package from his secretary asking her to put it down on his table. Chaeyeon enter his office and seat on the chair while waiting for him.

 

The name on the address bothers her a lot, she frowns as she touches the package trying to sense what's inside the package. The name is written 'For Mr. Kim Junmyeon. Personal, private.'. Chaeyeon look around to see if Junmyeon is around yet before she nervously taps her fingers on the package, contempleting to see what's inside the package or not. But her curiosity won't just died down so she tear open the upper part carefully but quickly as she doesn't want to get caught by Junmyeon.

 

The words personal and private bothers her a lot that she decided to open the package. There are few paper inside the package and when she flip it around, her eyes widen in disbelief. She blinks for a few time, hoping that what she sees is wrong. There are pictures of her and Jongdae outside of Jongdae's house, a record of her phone log and text message from Jongdae. She drop the papers down on the table shakily as she hears Junmyeon's voice outside of his office. Chaeyeon remain quiet in her seat until Junmyeon settle himself in his chair, not noticing that his packaged is opened by him. When he realise the papers and the look at Chaeyeon's face, he immediately snatch the papers from her, looking at it one by one without saying anything.

 

Chaeyeon curl her fingers into a tight fist, holding herself from shedding any tears. "Are you spying on me?"

 

Chaeyeon bravely look at Junmyeon who's still go through the paper. Junmyeon scoffs in annoyance as he set the paper down on his table. "Is it important? What are these?" He points at the pictures. "When is this?" he said in stern voice.

 

"I asked you, are you spying on me?"

 

"Are you cheating on me?"

 

Chaeyeon swallow bitterly as she briefly close her eyes, she feel a pang on her heart upon hearing the words cheating. Twice, Junmyeon accuse her of cheating twice. Perhaps this is her fault for not telling Junmyeon everything from the start.

 

"He's your ex-husband. So that's why you keep on changing your decision to quit." He chuckles bitterly. "Because he is here. You couldn't live without him that's why you keep working here even when I asked you to quit for your sake !"

 

"For my sake?" She stares at him in disbelief. "You did that out of jealousy because you thought I've something with him."

 

"Aren't you? That's why you slept at his house. Now I doubt if his mother was even there."

 

"Junmyeon !" She yells. "His mother was there ! I won't sleep over his house if he's alone." Chaeyeon scans his expression but she could tell that Junmyeon is no longer trust her. Her heart tighten and it hurts her so much. Junmyeon runs his finger through his hair in frustration, he let out a heavy sighs.

 

"I trust you Chaeyeon..."

 

"You trust me but you sent someone to spy on me?"

 

"That's because you were being secretive !"

 

"I already told you everything today, but you left me after that !"

 

Junmyeon clench his fist before he punch on the table in anger, making Chaeyeon flinch. Chaeyeon could see that he is getting teary, her heart soften at that. It's partly her fault too that Junmyeon is acting this way. He must been curious to know about her past, but what he get instead is a picture of her and Jongdae. If she's in his place, she would feel disappointed too. Junmyeon get up from his seat, facing the wall before he turns to look at her. His expression is tight.

 

"But that won't change the fact that you stayed working here because of him." His lips forms a thin smile. "That must because he asked you to stay, that's why you changed your decision back then. No?"

 

He is partly right. Jongdae asked her to stay because there's nothing between them, so she shouldn't run away from him anymore. Jongdae said he has move on and she should do the same too. "No. I stayed because-"

 

"You know what?" Junmyeon crossed his arms on his chest. "Maybe you should go back to him."

 

She let out a heavy sighs. Jealousy? That's what Junmyeon feel right now. Trust? He don't know if he trust her enough. How can he trust her when he saw the pictures of her and Jongdae together, at his house on top of that. "Look, I know you are just jealous, but Junmyeon-"

 

"Jealous?" He scoffs in annoyance. "This has nothing to do with jealousy. I saw the picture of you and him, and that speak a lot."

 

"You trust the pictures more than me?"

 

Junmyeon didn't answer her though, but instead he said softly, "You can go back to him. I will let you go."

 

If there's anyone who's hurting by this situation, it would be them three. Fate seems a little bit funny. She never think that she will meet Jongdae ever again, she never think that she will accept Junmyeon but here she is, starting to learn how to love Junmyeon, getting comfortable around Junmyeon more than before. but when she started to adapt to it, fate play it's game again. Junmyeon is letting her go. Perhaps she's getting used of her loved one leaving her just like that, she's too tired to cry, too tired to beg, too tired to ask him to stay and be with her. Her heart hurts so much.

 

Junmyeon loves her so much. So much that he is willing to let her go to find her own happiness. If staying with him won't make her happy, then what's the point? He knows, deep inside she still have feeling for Jongdae. She was indicivise about quitting her work. Doesn't it means something? Junmyeon knows since the day he saw how Jongdae look at her, the look of longing, Jongdae still loves her. Chaeyeon might not notice, but he did. Is it not hurting him? It hurts him like crazy. Everyday he hope for the best for their relationship, hoping that Chaeyeon will stay with him. But what's the point of staying with him if her heart belong to someone else? He waited for her for two years, he loves her since the day he saw her and he is willing to do anything for her to be happy. Even if it means to let her go and let him suffer alone.

 

No one seems to know what will happen, until the three sit down together and have a proper conversation. But it will hurt someone.

 

 

p/s : On a serious note, I don't know what will happen too.