Chapter 7

Crestfallen

It's been over two year since she left the house, a place that she once live in that contain their memories, as well as the pain that Chaeyeon wish she can forget in a blink of eyes. It takes her a lot of courage to agree to his invitation. An invitation that she never thought will come out from her ex-husband. Out of respect and the longing feeling she has for her ex mother-in-law, she decided to meet her. It will be hurt because of the memories she had with her ex mother-in-law, and she is sure too that her ex mother-in-law would feel the same.

 

Every steps that Chaeyeon takes towards Jongdae's house make her heart beats faster than usual, a feeling that she can't describe. Is it fear? Is it excited? Is it nervous? She feel all kind of emotions at once, taking her breath deeply before she exhale it slowly, trying to calm herself down. Her fist stops an inch away from the door, completing whether she should knock on it or walks away. She let out a soft sigh as she knocks on the door a few times, her heart is beating like crazy while waiting for the door to be open. She just stares at the old woman in front of her, the face that she misses sometimes, the face that she dream sometimes. His mother pulls her into a tight and warm hug, caressing her back gently as she whisper something that Chaeyeon couldn't process at the moment.

 

Pulling away from the hugs, his mother softly cupping her cheek while giving her a sweet smile to Chaeyeon. "My daughter, I miss you so much." His mother's eyes are getting teary and the sentences from his mother making her sobbing quietly, nodding at his mother, Chaeyeon wishper softly. "I miss you too, m-mom." It's been a while since she call his mother as 'mom' and its making her feel sad.

 

When Chaeyeon feels Jongdae's presence around them, she quickly wipes her tears away although she is not sure whether Jongdae notice the emotional reunion. His mother must notice how awkward Chaeyeon is around them, her ex family, so she bring Chaeyeon towards the dining while talking about the dinner she made for Chaeyeon. Jongdae follows from behind and settle himself on the chair in front of Chaeyeon, watching both of the women catching up with each other. For the first time, he sees the sincere smiles from Chaeyeon, all this while when she was with him for work, she never smile at him, he thinks.

 

After the not-so-quiet dinner, his mother bring Chaeyeon to the living room, Jongdae excuses himself to his room as he himself feel quite awkward with Chaeyeon in his house. Chaeyeon take the chance to look around the house, the interior are basically the same as two years ago, there are no recent picture of the family. Chaeyeon shifts her attention to his mother when she calls Chaeyeon.

 

"Will you stay for the night?"

 

As much as Chaeyeon miss her ex mother-in-law, staying for the night will be too much for her. She shakes her head lightly, giving the old lady a smile when his mother's expression become dull. "I would love to stay here, mom. But.." She couldn't find the right words as why she couldn't stay for the night, the desperation from his mother's eyes make her feel weak.

 

"Please? We can watch drama before we sleep, like we used to do." The smiles from his mother make her heart sting in pain, the things she used to do with her ex mother-in-law flashes in her memory one by one and it hurts her. Chaeyeon eventually give in and so she stay for the night in Jongdae's eyes. She only hope that Junmyeon wouldn't come by to her house, if not she have to create another lies.

 

When they get up from the couch, Jongdae comes down from his room. Glancing at Chaeyeon before he looks at his mother. "I will send her home." Jongdae takes his car key from the table near him before his mother could stop him. "No need to, she will sleep here tonight." Jongdae's eyes widen, but soon he clears his throat and nods. "Well then, I will send her tomorrow."

 

Chaeyeon spend the night in the house with heavy heart, that explain why she woke up early that she should be. It's only 5.00 a.m in the morning when she looks at her ex mother-in-law who's still sleeping soundly next to her. She slowly sit up and tie her hair into a messy bun as she looks around the room. Sometimes, she would sleep with her ex mother-in-law when Jongdae had to stay back to finish his work at his office. They both love dramas, so it was a good thing for her back then because she has such a good chemistry with her ex mother-in-law.She still remember, Jongdae would carry her in their room in the morning when he just get back home from work. Her ex mother-in-law would teases her, saying she was being a big baby. Chaeyeon smiles to herself at the memory. It was a good time. She slowly get up from the bed and walks out of the room without making any sounds since she doesnt want anyone in the house to wake up.

 

She let out a sigh when she's outside of the room, she looks around the place. The place that feels so familiar yet feels strange to her, her eyes fixed at one place, her hands are shaky. The room. The room for their supposed baby. She bit her inner cheek while slowly approaching the room, eager to know what's inside the room. Does it still look the same? Is there their baby's stuff still in the room? Or did Jongdae get rid all of it? She doesn't realize Jongdae was staring at her when she reach for the door knob, she only snap back to reality when Jongdae hold her wrist. His gaze are unreadable. "What are you doing here?" His voice is cold, Chaeyeon clears while pulling her hand away from Jongdae. "I..I..water."

 

She walks downstairs without looking at Jongdae, completely embarrassed that she was caught trying to get into the room. Settling herself on the chair while holding a glass of water, she inhales a deep breath then exhales it slowly. Moment after, Jongdae decided to join her in the kitchen and sit next to her while drinking his favourite drink. Neither both of them say anything and Chaeyeon feels suffocated by the awkward air. The situation where it feels so intense and quiet, especially when she's alone with her ex-husband now. She put down the glass on the table and get up from the chair, when she take a step away, Jongdae calls out her name.

 

"Are you curious?"

 

Chaeyeon knows where this conversation will lead to and now she started to regretting her choice of staying the night in this house. She mutters, "No, I'm not." Her feet feels so heavy to walks away from Jongdae. Truthfully, she is curious. How Jongdae was doing after the incident, how was he coping with the situation. Was he hurting like her? Did he felt like his world is shattered into pieces, like how she felt? Everything, Chaeyeon want to ask a lot of thing to him, but her ego is a great wall.

 

"Lies." Jongdae's voice come out as a whisper. Chaeyeon takes a deep breath when Jongdae approach her, he is standing infront of her, his gaze is unreadable when his hand reach to her cheek. "I know you are curious." Chaeyeon's heart beats faster than usual, actually scared of the sudden skinship. She takes a step back while looking at Jongdae. Jongdae give her a smile as he drop his hand, he then settle himself on the chair again.

 

"How do I cope with it after the incident, right?"

 

Chaeyeon takes a deep breath upon realizing where this conversation will lead them to. She's not going to lie, she is curious about how he continue his life. And so, she ask him after gathering her courage. "How?" She settle herself on the chair, making sure theres a fine gap between them. Jongdae shrugs. "I just simply continue with my life." There's a pause before he continue with a low voice. "Afterall, I can't bring our baby back to life."

 

She swallow bitterly, her hand grips on her pants as she looks at Jongdae. "I took a damn year to recover after what you did." She said in a low voice. Her heart feels heavy, she is upset at the fact Jongdae continue his life easily after the incident. "The fact that we divorce...it doesn't bother you, at all?"

 

Chaeyeon was so close to cry when she felt Jongdae's arms around her, pulling her close to him. She didn't realise when did Jongdae stand infront of her and pull her into a hug. This topic is sensitive yet they still talk about it. Chaeyeon know damn well that she will be in a crying mess again when this topic is open, and she is crying in Jongdae's arm, letting Jongdae hugging her like the old time.

 

"I'm sorry." He whisper softly, his hand softly caressing her hair. "What I did to you was unforgivable. I realise that I made a stupid decision by divorcing you. I'm sorry." Chaeyeon find comfort in Jongdae's arms, without she realising her arms are around Jongdae's waist, leaning her head on his chest just like the old time.

 

"It was too hard for me." She sniffles before she continue. "The fact that you blame me for everything..I had to endure everything alone, my body hurt from the miscarriage and yet you weren't there for me..instead..you blame me.." There's a long silence before Jongdae pull away, he cups her cheek softly making her look up at him with teary eyes. Jongdae softly caress her cheek as he wipes the tears away.

 

"I'm sorry." He whisper as he looks into her eyes. "I regretted my decision." He said in a low voice, his eyes are getting teary but he quickly inhales deeply before his tears drop on his cheek. Chaeyeon didn't say anything but she wait for Jongdae to talk again, to clear all the misunderstanding between them.

 

Jongdae bring his other hand to caress her hair softly, something that he did to her before to calm her. Jongdae know exactly how to calm her down, how to make her feel comfortable in this situation. The soft touch from Jongdae's hand make her calm for a while, until Jongdae speaks again.

 

"I was wrong for not listening to you. I was wrong for accusing you of..." Jongdae shut his eyes for a second before he look at her again as his lips forms a thin smile. "...killing our baby. I know it wasn't your fault, but I guess I was just too hurt by the fact that we lost our child."

 

"I was hurt too, Jongdae.."

 

"I know.." He smiled. "That's why I said I'm sorry. For all what I did to you."

 

They simply just stare at each other for a while before Chaeyeon looks away. "I have move on. I'm okay now. You don't have to apologise anymore." She only realise that she is hugging jongdae's waist so she pull her hand away from him, although Jongdae still caressing her hair. She lowkey enjoying the soft touch from Jongdae, that's explaining why she didn't ask him to stop.

 

"I haven't."

 

Chaeyeon stares at Jongdae, trying to read his expression. When Jongdae leans forward, she's getting flustered and doesn't know what to do. Jongdae stops when there's an inch of gap between them. She swallow nervously.

 

"Seeing you with your boss, hurt me."

 

His fingers softly brushes against her cheek as he look at her with unreadable gaze. "The first time I met you after two years, I hate the feeling of meeting you again. I thought I've move on, from you, from our past life." His thumb reach to her lips, caressing it softly. Chaeyeon only look at him without saying anything although her hearts almost drop from the sudden skinship. "When I saw you with your boss, I know that I still couldn't move on from you.."

 

"Jongdae.." It come out as a whisper. She's also confuse, is it to stop him or giving him permission to continue speaking his thoughts.

 

"Do you ever think.." Jongdae leans closer than before until Chaeyeon could smell his scent. "..that we can try this again?"

 

Chaeyeon's eyes widen at that. As a respond, Chaeyeon push Jongdae away but the man is quicker as he hold her hand instead, eyes still looking at Chaeyeon with unreadable gaze.

 

"Tell me.." Chaeyeon could sense a bit of desperation in his tone but Chaeyeon doesnt want to judge too quick. This doesn't seem real to her at all. Weeks ago, Jongdae looks like he would kill her anytime they meet, they would argue over a little things, they would get mad at each other for something related to their past when they shouldn't. But now, Jongdae is asking her if they can try this again? Try what? Relationship like the old time? "Tell me. if we can be like before, Chaeyeon."

 

"I'm with Junmyeon now. You know that too.."

 

"I don't care with who you are now. I only want to hear your answer."

 

"I'm engaged to Junmyeon."

 

Jongdae looks taken aback by what she said, his grip on her hand loosen. "W-what" He clears his throat before he shakes his head. "I still want to hear your answer." Chaeyeon doesn't know why but she's suddenly feel piss off. If Jongdae didn't gave her a second chance, why would she do that now?

 

Chaeyeon take a step back so that there's a gap between her and him. She inhales deeply before she exhales slowly. "After what you did to me? After I begged you for second chance and you still divorced me, now you want a second chance?"

 

"..Chaeyeon. I said I'm sorry.."

 

Jongdae tries to hold her hand but Chaeyeon take a step back again, widen the gap between them. Jongdae look desperate to get closer to Chaeyeon, but everytime Jongdae take a step towards her, Chaeyeon will ask him to stop. Chaeyeon bites her inner cheek as she's getting emotional. This might looks like a revenge, but she is still hurt although she said she's fine now.

 

"I said sorry too Jongdae. But you never listened to me. Now you want a second chance? Will you give me a second chance if I ask you now? No. Because you will never listen to me and my explanation."

 

Jongdae sighs heavily, his hand runs through his hair in frustration. Tears drops heavily on her cheek, sobbing just like when she asked Jongdae to give her a second chance. "Will you divorce me again if I kill our baby?"

 

"Chaeyeon!" Jongdae shouts in frustration. "Don't say like that! I said I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to call you a killer of our baby. Please.." He bravely move forward and pull Chaeyeon into a hugs. Chaeyeon tries to pull away from the hug but Jongdae tighten his arms around her, letting her cry on his shoulder.

 

"You hurt me a lot, Jongdae. Now you want a second chance? That easy? Am I that easy for you, Jongdae?"

 

Jongdae closes his eyes as he hugs her tight, his other hand caressing her hair softly. He didn't say anything to let her spill out about her feelings. Chaeyeon grips on his shirt as she cry in his embrace. Completely forgot that she was mad at him a moment ago but now she's a crying mess and being emotional. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, sweetheart." He whisper softly against her ears as he places a soft kiss on her head.

 

Chaeyeon pushes him away, she wipes her tears away as she walks away from the kitchen. Jongdae follows from behind. "Chaeyeon..please?" She grab her car keys on the table and rush towards the main door. She can't look at Jongdae now or else she would explode in anger even more.

 

"Where are you going? It's still early !"

 

"Home."

 

 

****

 

It's 6.30 a.m and it's Sunday. She doesn't know why but she's infront of Junmyeon's house. Unsure of what to do for a moment, she decided to knock on the door. After a few loud knocks, Junmyeon open the door with a sleepy eyes. His eyes widen when he saw her, he rubs his eyes repeatedly before he frowns.

 

"Chaeyeon? What are-"

 

Chaeyeon immediately hug him before he can finish his words. She hugs him tight, she buries her face on Junmyeon's shoulder when her eyes getting teary again. Junmyeon close the door before he hug her as well, caressing her back softly.

 

"Hey, what's wrong?"

 

Chaeyeon shakes her head, trying to tell him that nothing is wrong, but Junmyeon won't buy it. He gently cups her cheek, he is taken aback when he see her crying face but he keep silent. He wipes her tears away. "Do you even sleep?" Chaeyeon shakes her head again. Junmyeon gives her a smile. "Let's sleep some more then? I'm still sleepy too."

 

Junmyeon bring her to his room, when he's about to walk away from his room, Chaeyeon tugs on his shirt lightly. "Why?" He ask while holding her hand. Chaeyeon mumbles softly. "...Sleep with me?" Junmyeon's lips stretch into a happy smiles, he nodded right away. Chaeyeon immediately snuggles to Junmyeon in which he wraps his arms around her, letting her smell his sweet scent. He softly caressing her hair, making Chaeyeon comfortable in his embrace.

 

He placed a soft kiss on her forehead before he closes his eyes. " Dont cry anymore..I won't ask you anything. Get some sleep first hm?"

 

Chaeyeon nods. She inhales his scent before she closes her eyes, trying to get some sleep. Wondering how Junmyeon cope with her all this while, she often ignored Junmyeon before this but he will always be there for her, without asking anything, without demanding anything, although he knows Chaeyeon isn't fully ready for this relationship. After thinking for a while, and secretly looking at the sleeping Junmyeon, she decided to tell Junmyeon everything about her past when they wake up.

 

 

kind of a ty chapter, but at last...I updated TT