Chapter 5

Crestfallen

Its already noon when they arrived in Jeju. Chaeyeon immediately check in to their hotel with obviously a not so happy face. The journey to Jeju wasn't okay at all with Jongdae next to her in the plane and trying to have conversation with her. She get into the lift with Jongdae follows after her without saying anything, probably tired from the journey. Just when Chaeyeon about to get out of the life, Jongdae finally speaks.

 

"I will be waiting at the lobby in 15 minutes." 

 

Chaeyeon turn around to face him, eyebrows slightly raised up. "I thought the appointment is at night?" When Jongdae just shrug and didn't say anything, Chaeyeon get out of the lift and enter her room while nagging to herself. She shouldn't come here with him because two days in Jeju will be in hell. Chaeyeon sighs softly as she plop herself down on the bed, her hand hugging one of the pillow as she close her eyes. Just when she's about to fall asleep, her phone ring. She groans as her hand roams on the bed trying to find her phone. She pick up the phone and put it on a loud speaker.

 

"Yes?" She answer tiredly. 

 

"Are you tired?"

 

Upon hearing the voice from her phone, her eyes wide open staring at the celing, a frown slowly curves on her forehead.

 

"Junmyeon?"

 

She hears a soft chuckles from the other side, and it makes her smile to herself. "Are you that tired?" Chaeyeon just hums in response. "Is there something wrong in the office?" she finally ask while she sit up and untie her hair, ruffling her hair softly.

 

"Nothing. I just miss you." Her heart skip a beat at those words. When Chaeyeon decided to give this relationship a chance, she finds that Junmyeon started getting touching and cheesy as hell with her, but strangely he doesn't dislike it even a bit. Sometimes she would squeals in her room when Junmyeon send her a text full with cheesy words. Perhaps maybe because she doesn't experience it after a long time.

 

Her lips curves into a small smile. "Well, if you miss me..you should come here~" She drags her tone a lil bit longer, trying to sounds cute and at the same time persuading Junmyeon to be here. But she knows, Junmyeon can't do that. Workaholic stuff. 

 

She can hear a soft sighs on the other side. "You know I want too right? But I can't. I still have to finish my work, and tomorrow I have-"

 

"Hey, it's okay." Chaeyeon cuts his words when she sense that Junmyeon is going to drag his sentences longer. "I will be fine alone..and uhm" She bites her lower lips lightly, hesitating whether to say this or not. "hm? What is it?" She clears before she mumbles softly. "I miss you too"

 

"What? I couldn't hear you" She isn't sure if that's a tease or Junmyeon really didnt't hear her. She frowns lightly while she punch on the pillow lightly, feeling frustrated and shy at the same time. "You really didn't hear me?" Junmyeon chuckles again. "I did. Just teasing you. Be safe alright?" 

 

She smiles at his words. "Hm I will. See you later alright?"

 

After a cheesy final words from Junmyeon which makes her feels butterflies, she unpack her luggage and take out her clothes while she glance at the clock on the wall. 5 minutes more. Chaeyeon quickly change her clothes to a pair of skinny jeans and a white t shirt before she get down to the lobby. She find Jongdae on the couch sitting while scrolling through his phone.

 

"Hey."

 

Jongdae look up from his phone and gives her a smile but Chaeyeon just nods at him. He gather his things and stands up, walking out of the hotel with her without saying anything. When they pass by the hall where Chaeyeon believe that's where the wedding will be held at, she finally break the silence.

 

"I thought we are going to see the place?"

 

Jongdae nods. "The bride change the location to outdoor wedding."

 

"She what? Why I didn't know about this?"

 

"Probably you should check your e-mail, missy."

 

She didn't say anything after that, but continue to follow him until they reach to a garden which fulls with flowers. She looks around the place to see if anyone is here, but she didn't see anyone. She check her wristwatch before turns to Jongdae who is busy taking picture with his DSLR. 

 

"Why they aren't here yet?"

 

Jongdae shrugs and continue taking picture of the venue as both of the team will need it later. "I will give you the pictures through email, so you don't have to take another pictures." 

 

"Then, why am I here? I can just meet the client later at night as what they requested and not be here watching you taking some pictures" 

 

She really doens't like the idea of being alone with Jongdae because she somehow feels uneasy. She doesn't want to develop feeling although Jongdae don't even do anything fluttering to her. But being with Jongdae makes her remember the past, something that she is trying to avoid since the incident, since she's trying to live her life happily. When Jongdae didn't say anything but keep taking some random pictures, she scoffs and turns around to walk away from the garden. But his words stops her from walking; "You like seeing me taking picture of anything before this."

 

That hurts her. She really doesn't want to remember anything regarding her past. Past is past, it's mean to be left behind. But Jongdae keep dragging their past into their conversation and makes her feel uncomfortable. She inhales deeply, her hand curls into a fist.

 

"Stop talking about our past."

 

She hears sound of clicking for a few time before it finally stops. She doesn't want to talk about their past or talking to Jongdae today too, so before Jongdae can even say a thing, she walk away only to be stop by him. She looks down on her wrist that Jongdae hold firmly, as if he refuse to let her go.

 

"It's just our past. Can't we have normal conversation without you getting upset?" 

 

She looks up at him only to meet his eyes staring at her with unreadable gaze. "I don't wish to talk about my past with my ex-husband and I don't wish for you to keep talking about it as if it doens't gave us pain. So please, let my hand go." Jongdae stares at her for a good few second before releasing her wrist from his hold, he suddenly looks guilty but Chaeyeon turns around, back facing him.

 

"I'm sorry"

 

"Just stop this, Jongdae. Let's be professional and don't drag our past into our conversation, please."

 

Jongdae doesn't say anything but Chaeyeon knows he must be staring at her back, trying to say something but he couldn't. She felt her tears fall down on her cheek, she slowly wipe it away before she finally walks away, leaving him alone at the venue. She doesn't know if  fate is playing wih her life or something else, but she really couldn't stand in the same place with Jongdae.

 

*** 

 

It's already past 7pm when she woke up with headache from crying to sleep. She let out a low groans as she sit up as she looks around the dark room. She slaps her cheeks lightly to wake herself up before she reach for her iPhone. She unlock it and see a total of 10 missed calls and few text from Junmyeon. 

 

Junmyeon

:Where are you?

 

Junmyeon

:Are you okay? You didn't pick up your phone.

 

Junmyeon

:What happened? Mr. Kim said he didn't see you after you guys part away.

 

She scoff at the mention of her ex-husband as she scroll through other texts. She frowns when she sees a text from Jongdae.

 

Mr.Kim

: I'm sorry. Can you go out now? Your boyfriend is worried about you..and so am I

 

"yeah right"

 

Her eyes widen at the last tex Junmyeon send her ;

 

Junmyeon

: I'm coming to Jeju.

 

Just in time she finished reading all text in her iPhone, her doorbell ring a few times desperately. She frowns as she make her way to the room, don't even bother to make herself look decent. Her eyes once again widen at the two male figure infront of her and she quickly shut her door close in shock. Junmyeon desperately calling for her as he knock on the door.

 

"Chaeyeon, are you okay?!" He sounds so worried that she finally aware that this is real and Junmyeon just see her just wake up face and Jongdae...Jongdae with him isn't making things better too.

 

"I-I'm okay ! Give me a minute !"

 

She quickly look at her reflection through the mirror and gasps at how terrible she looks right now, she reach for her comb and tie her hair into a bun after and spraying some mist on her face. "I don't look puffy, don't I?" She once again check on her clothes before she open the door, just to be shock when Junmyeon pull her into his arms, hugging her close to him. She looks away when her eyes meet Jongdae's unreadable gazes. 

 

"I thought something happened to you..pabo" 

 

Chaeyeon slowly wraps her arms around him, then rubs his back softly. "Nothing happened to me. I just overslept." Junmyeon finally let her go when Jongdae clears his throat, but his hand unintentionally wraps around her waist.

 

"I will see you guys later."

 

"Thanks Jongdae." Junmyeon bid him a goodbye and Chaeyeon just hums in response, still feel a bit upset for what happened in the afternoon. After Jongdae gone, Junmyeon looks at her with unreadable gazes, making her raises her eyebrows in response.

 

"What?"

 

Before he say anything, he pull her back inside her room and settle themself on her bed, his hand holding her hand. "You are making me worry about you."

 

"Talking about that, why are you here? I thought you have work? And appoint-" Her eyes widen again when Junmyeon leans his face close to her, her eyes blinking in nervous which makes Junmyeon chuckles. He cups her cheek softly, his thumb softly caressing her apple cheek making her heart beats faster. Strangely her heart beats crazily over small things that Junmyeon do to her now. His gaze, his attention, his touch..

 

"Sweetheart, I'm worried about you. I took the earliest flight they have and met Jongdae at the lobby. Are you sure you okay? You doesn't seems like one."

 

She find herself lost in Junmyeon's stare and she couldn't hear anything from Junmyeon. Just when Junmyeon ask her again, she clears . What is wrong with me? "I just overslept" Junmyeon nods in response but she still see that Junmyeon doesn't believe her yet, "You sure?" Chaeyeon nods, assuring him that she is fine and nothing worse happened to her. she just cried, it's not that worse.

 

"Well okay. I will go home with you tomorrow." Junmyeon still caressing her apple cheek and his face is still dangerously close to her, his eyes is still staring into her eyes but Chaeyeon couldn't look into his eyes for a longer time so she divert her gaze to somewhere else. Junmyeon smile at the sight. "Do you have anything to do tonight?" He ask again. Chaeyeon hums. "Mr.Kim and I have to meet the client tonight. Do you want to come along? if you are not tired."

 

"I like spending time with you, so I will go with you"

 

"Hm that's great. The meeting is in 15 minutes. Can you wait for me?

 

Junmyeon's lips curves into a smiles, his thumb moves down to caress the side of her lips softly.  "I waited for you for two years and I can see how you finally open up to me. I can wait for another 15 minutes, sweetheart." Chaeyeon feels her heart beats faster than usual as if it almost fall out from her chest, she inhales deeply. "You are so cheesy, Junmyeon." She try to joke it off but instead Junmyeon lean closer to her and pecks her lips lightly, softly, enough to make her heart burst out from the sudden too much feelings. She clutched onto her chest as if her heart will really fall.

 

"I miss you already. Go get ready, I will be here."

 

He scans your expression and a laugh escape from his lips, making you frowns lightly. "What?"

 

"Nothing" Junmyeon shakes his head lightly. "Go get ready now, or something else might happen, more than a kiss."

 

With that, Chaeyeon quickly get up and escape to the bathroom with a red flush cheek, she can hear junmyeon laughing and all she hears is a lovely laugh from Junmyeon. Perhaps its a good think to try to work out this relationship. She started to think the plan to get married with him is not a bad idea.

 

*** 

 

The meeting with the client went smooth although the client is a bit fussy, and seeing how the other relatives want to in to the conversation makes her pissed off a bit. Who is going to get married now? The couple or the relatives? She doesn't like the way the young girls from the relatives trying to flirt with Junmyeon and Jongdae, and doesn't respect her as someone older than them. After she bid a goodbye to her client, she walks away first leaving Junmyeon and Jongdae behind, looking down on her iPhone as she scroll through her schedule for the next few days. Her steps is stop abruptly when her head hit someone's chest. She wince in pain as her hand automatically reach her head to rubs it. 

 

"Told you not to walk around with your phone."

 

She looks up just to see Jongdae smiling at her. Chaeyeon make a face as she slip her iPhone on the back pocket of her jeans. "Where's Junmyeon?" Jongdae points out to the place they had a meeting earlier and she see Junmyeon is still talking to the couple and relatives. "The couple ask us to come over to their last bachelor party. Do you want to go?"

 

"No thanks." She was about to walk when Jongdae hold her arm while looking at her, Chaeyeon raises her eyebrows. "Come on. Junmyeon is going too." If there's one thing that Chaeyeon dislike about him is the fact that Junmyeon never say no to party and "I know you are not a party person, just sit and enjoy the music or something?" There, Jongdae still knows it. Junmyeon doesn't know yet that she dislike partying. Chaeyeon hums softly before nodding. "Well..okay. I will give it a try."

 

So they walk to the party place alone as Junmyeon is dragged by the girls earlier and Chaeyeon couldn't stop that. Chaeyeon greet the couple with a  smile when they are inside  before she settle herself on the couch, kind of away from the crowd. However she saw Junmyeon at the pool with the girls laughing and obvioulsy flirting. She can feel a pang of jealousy when she witness that but soon after she is distracted by Jongdae who call out her name. She looks up at Jongdae, smiling softly.

 

"I got you a peach tea, since you can't tolerate alcohol."

 

Jongdae still remember. Chaeyeon takes the glass from Jongdae as he settle himself infront of her. "Thanks" She mumbles before taking a sip of the drink. Jongdae only nods and proceed doing his thing, checking his works in the middle of the party. Chaeyeon still remember how she would sulk if Jongdae doesnt pay attention to her, and Jongdae would persuade her. Ah good old time before that happened. Sensing that someone is looking at him, Jongdae looks up from his work only to see Chaeyeon is looking at her. "What?" He asked, his forehead form a frowns. Chaeyeon shakes her head, lightly laugh "Just you..still doing your work in the middle of party." 

 

"Oh." Jongdae's lips curves into a small smile, finally he keep his DSLR into his bag and take a sip of his drink. He glances at her who is playing with her glass while looking down. "So.." Jongdae starts. "Hm?" Chaeyeon looks at him, still giving him her smile. "You are not mad anymore?" Chaeyeon shrugs before she takes another sip of her drink. She put down the glass on the table. "I was overreacting. I'm sorry too." if there's one thing that Jongdae like the most about Chaeyeon is how forgiving she is to someone. But he doubt she will forgive him after what happened. 

 

The time moves faster that she thought, Jongdae points at Junmyeon who is a little bit drink at the pool. Chaeyeon let out a sighs. "I'm not sure how much he can tolerate to alcohol. Can you help me bring him to my room?"

 

"You don't know? I thought he is your boyfriend?"

 

Chaeyeon have to keep it as a secret from Jongdae that her relationship with Junmyeon is force before this, and keep it a secret from Junmyeon that Jongdae is her ex-husband. Do you know how tiring it is?

 

"Yeah? But that doesn't mean-"

 

"I started to think that your relationship is fake" He scoffs. Her eyes widen at his words, her face turns red from being so upset at Jongdae. But before she can speak anything, Jongdae continue. "What kind of boyfriend let his girl alone with another man while he get some fun with other girls. Are you not jealous at all?" What a day. Chaeyeon thought. She stands up, trying to walk away from him when he reach her wrist, holding it tightly. "Look, I don't want anyone to hurt you after what happened to us alright? Its my good intention." Chaeyeon stares down at him, trying to calm herself down, "I can take care of myself. Junmyeon is a good man to me." Jongdae feel a slight of pang in his heart upon hearing that. He slowly let go of her hand before he stands up and walks over to Junmyeon. Chaeyeon hurriedly follow along. 

 

Jongdae clench his fist tight while walking towards Junmyeon, he forcedfully pull Junmyeon to stand up. "what the hell are you doing?!" Junmyeon has his hand on Jongdae's collar as well as they stare furiously at each other. Chaeyeon hurriedly approach them and hold Junmyeon's hand in case he will do something out of control. "Junmyeon, please..let him go. Let's go back to our room." Chaeyeon is worried for both of them but she also feel embarrass at the attention they get from other people. Her grips on Junmyeon's arms tighten as she look at Junmyeon with pleaded eyes. "Please.." Junmyeon push Jongdae away harshly but Jongdae still have the gut to speak after what happened. "If you love her, you don't leave her alone in this party while you have some fun with other girls" 

 

"Who are you to talk like this with me?!"Its like fast forward scene and everything happened just so fast, without chaeyeon realise Junmyeon already punch Jongdae on his face and Jongdae counter attack with another punch on Junmyeon's face. Chaeyeon is trembling on her spot while the other people try to calm the situation down. Chaeyeon approach Junmyeon and hold his arms, Junmyeon's eyes soften when he see Chaeyeon's expression. He takes a deep breath before he pulls her into his arms, hugging her tight. "Please..let's go, Junmyeon" He can sense that she is scared of the situation right now so he rubs her back soothingly as he let out a sigh. He places a soft kiss on top of her head. "Let's go, sweetheart."

 

While Jongdae who witnessing the situation is wondering why he feel a pain in his chest after so long. The sight of Junmyeon trying to comfort her is hurting him. The sight of another man placing a soft kiss on her forehead break his heart a lot. He then proceed to walk away after watching her being comfort by her boyfriend. Jongdae doesn't know why..he probably lie to himself all this while, telling people that he doens't love her anymore, but in fact he still do. He just lied to himself and he is going to regret it if he didn't do anything to get her back.

 

 

15.36k words. Probably the longest chapter I've ever write.

Which side are you guys at? XD