Chapter 2

Crestfallen

In a matter of fact, Jongdae has move on from his past life. But he never thought he will meet her again after the painful incidents that cause everything to fall apart, the incidents that break his heart into pieces, and the incidents that cause everyone around him feeling resentful at his decision. Unfortunately, he didn’t feel regret at all even after he decided to divorced her. But when he saw her for the first time after he divorced her two years ago, somehow he’s feeling a little bit regret.

 

A little bit.

 

He never think of her after the incident, perhaps he’s still feeling mad-the truth is even until now, he couldn’t forgive her, for what she had done. He didn’t know how to face her after all this while, not because he decided to divorced her two years ago, it because of the mad feelings that’s still dominate half of his heart. How is he going to work under the same roof, the same field, the same profession if he can’t face her, because honestly it reminds him about the past?

 

But, he is a professional when it comes to work, and he’s going to be professional.

 

“Hey.” Baekhyun taps his shoulder. “Are you alright?” The older settle himself in front of Jongdae who looks so lost in his own thought, so much so he didn’t heard the knock come in before Baekhyun enter his office.

 

Jongdae looks taken aback though, he flash his smiles before he nods. Well, what can’t be alright? He thought. Everything is alright.

 

“Yeah, I’m good.”

 

Baekhyun raised his eyebrows; questioning his answer because Baekhyun was so sure that Jongdae is not alright when he saw his ex-wife in the company they are going to work together with. Jongdae’s expression was terribly serious, as if he’s thinking about how to rules the country.

 

“Are you sure you can work with her? I mean, she’s your-“

 

“It’s all in the past, Baek. I’ve move on, and she’s definitely already move on. There’s nothing between us, so working together should be no problem.”

 

He dismisses the latter thought, because he is so sure that his heart does not flutter anymore for her, like it used to be. Even after seeing her passed by him when she dashed outside the meeting room, he is sure that he has zero feelings for her.

 

Baekhyun nods. Jongdae knows himself better than him, and if Jongdae insist on working with them even after he knew his ex-wife is going to work around him, what can Baekhyun say? He has no say in this matter, although he kinda worried how these two are going to face each other.

 

***

 

Who would ever think that she can ask to resign in the middle of expensive restaurant, during their engagement anniversary though? The dinner wasn’t going so smooth, because before Junmyeon could say what he wanted to say, Chaeyeon who was feeling terrible and down after seeing Jongdae-his ex-husband, only have one thought in her mind.

 

That is, she wanted to resign.

 

Junmyeon dumbfounded asked why, what’s wrong and any other questions that exist in this world, but Chaeyeon couldn’t bring herself to speak the truth. If she tells him the truth, will Junmyeon nullify the contract between J&M co and Event Studios? Even if she wanted it to happen, she can’t.

 

She can’t be childish about this. Nullifying a contract is not as easy as signing a divorce paper.

 

Oh.

 

Thus, there are only two choices for her. It’s either kept working and pretends like she never knew Jongdae before this, or resigns. Of course, without much thought she chose the latter.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

She said, eyes darted on the floor, couldn’t bring herself to look at Junmyeon.  Unfortunately, Junmyeon was so mad at her last night, that he cancelled the dinner and drove her back to her house, without no conversation.

 

Chaeyeon being a guilty person she is immediately went to Junmyeon’s office when she arrives at the office the next day. No matter how much she thinks, what happened was her fault. Junmyeon didn’t say anything though, his attention still on his work, flicking pages of the files, sign here and there.

 

Junmyeon doesn’t want her to resign, but honestly he’s tired. He’s tired of chasing her around when Chaeyeon don’t even care about his existence. At this rate, if Chaeyeon ask to cancel their engagement, he might say yes.

 

“Suit yourself; you won’t listen to me even if I beg.”

 

 Chaeyeon slowly nods. “T-thank you. I will send you the resignation letter” Finally at ease when Junmyeon just agree with his decision. It’s not like they won’t be seeing each other after Chaeyeon resign.

 

She can hear Junmyeon let out a heavy sighs, probably tired with all these scenes created by her, but Chaeyeon is persistent, she won’t change her mind. Because working with her ex-husband will make her days miserable, she thinks.

 

Chaeyeon turns back and slowly walk to make her way out from Junmyeon’s office, but before she can pull Junmyeon’s office door, Junmyeon stood up, walk quickly towards her as he pull her wrist first, making her turns around facing him back. 

 

“Junmyeon, what are you-“

 

Junmyeon shut her up when he lean closer to her, lips inch away with each other. Junmyeon looks straight into her widen eyes, his hands slowly wrapped around her waist.

 

“Do you know this is the closest we ever get?”

 

She can feel his breath, she can feel his scent but strangely, again her heart does not flutter for him. Chaeyeon put both of her palms on his chest, drawing a boundary as she trying to break the hugs.

 

“Stay till, or I will really kiss you.”

 

He said, almost whispering.

 

“Let me go, Junmyeon.”

 

“Why are you doing this to me?”  His eyes look sad. “Do you know how much I’m suffering all this while?”

 

She knows, and she is sorry for that. Even if she say sorry for millions times, that won’t change the fact that Junmyeon is hurt, and she is the reason why.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“I don’t need your sorry.” His hands reach up her nape, his thumbs slowly caress her lips and Chaeyeon knows where this action will end up at.

 

“Junmyeon, stop !”

 

He doesn’t care, he won’t listen to her. His eyes travel down from her eyes, to her nose and finally landed on her lips.

 

“You are treating me like I’m no one to you, when the fact is I’m your fiancé. I thought you will at least try to acknowledge me as your fiance, but you never try. You never give me a chance to love you properly. How could you do this to me?”

 

He lean closer, their lips dangerously will touch with each other if either one of them move. How could she do that to him? She can’t force her feelings to accept him. She can’t force her feelings to treat him differently, to treat him like he’s her fiancé.

 

She still can’t move on, and no one can replace her first love in her heart, not even Junmyeon. And she’s sorry for that. If only she didn’t accept the engagement, this won’t happen.

 

“I do everything for you, I tried to win your heart, and I tried to give you as much time as you want so you can accept me, wholeheartedly, but what did I get on our first engagement anniversary?”

 

“You asked to resign. Why? Do you really hate me that much?

 

No, she don't hate him, and she couldn't tell him why she wanted to resign. Silence fill the office as they keep in the same position, Junmyeon refuse to let her go. He keep staring on Chaeyeon’s lips, wondering if he should just kiss her or-

 

"No, I don't hate you. But- I’m sorry, Junmyeon.” She said softly, sincerely, unable to explain more.

 

Junmyeon pull away from her, as much as he loves her, and as much as he wanted to kiss her, he won’t do it without her concern. Junmyeon settle himself on his chair again; pretend like nothing happened before this.

 

“Team Leader Kim, I hope I won’t receive your resignation letter this evening, but if you insist to, please hand me the resignation letter before 5pm.”

 

Junmyeon fix his collar shirt and look at his employee. The gaze in his eyes totally changes now, there’s no trace of sadness, there’s only a leader gaze. Chaeyon knows that he is hurt by her, but then there’s nothing that Chaeyeon can do, unfortunately there isn’t. Chaeyeon slowly nods.

 

“T-Thank you, Mr. Kim.”

 

Chaeyeon quickly pull the door, doesn’t want the same thing happen between Junmyeon and her. It will be awkward to face each other the next day. Chaeyeon didn’t realize that there’s someone who’s waiting for Junmyeon outside his office when Chaeyeon inform Junmyeon’s secretary about her resignation letter. She just realizes that it was her ex-husband when finally he decided to ask her.

 

“You are going to resign?”

 

 

***

 

Chaeyeon never dream to meet Jongdae again after the painful break up. She doesn’t even think that they will bump into each other on the street and say hi with each other. Because she knows that both of them were hurt by each other, so much so even a simple greeting will reminds them of the past. But Jongdae just greeted her with a question, and that’s the last thing she wanted to happen before she finally resign.

 

“Take a seat, Mr. Kim”

 

Now, that must be confused to address him as Mr. Kim when all this while she just called him as Jongdae, or Dae.

 

Jongdae, surprisingly was brave enough to asked her if she’s going to resign when he heard her few minutes ago. Honestly, Jongdae thinks that it wasn’t a good idea to actually greet her with question and he thinks he shouldn’t have asked her in the first place.

 

They have bad memories with each other, remember?

 

Jongdae settle himself on the chair across Chaeyeon. She looks much matured now, she cut her hair short up until her shoulder and she dress better now.

 

“I will pass all the files I’ve been working on to your secretary, or anyone in your company. So, you can work it out with another Team Leader from Event Planner department. Unfortunately, I will resign today.”

 

Jongdae just keep staring at her, he doesn’t know why but he just feel like he need to stares at her, look at her because two years weren’t a short period. He wanted to look at her like he used to, but when the painful memory slowly came into his mind, he look away as he clears his throat.

 

“Is it because of me?”

 

Jongdae drop the formalities while Chaeyeon insist on talking with formality. They are nothing with each other, but a stranger. Chaeyeon feel his body trembling, she knows where this conversation will end up at.

 

“I will give you the soft copies too along with the files. If there’s something you want to ask, you can ask my assistant out there.”

 

“You know you don’t have to resign just because of me, Chaeyeon.”

 

How many years since Jongdae last say her name? Two years. Two painful years for her. She let out a sighs.

 

“If there’s nothing anymore, I think –“

 

“I’ve move on.” Jongdae said. “I think you already move on too, so why can’t we work together? I don’t think there’s a problem?”

 

“Do you think I decided to resign have something to do with you?”

 

Jongdae knows her, he knows her too much that he can detect if she is lying. Jongdae nods, slowly. Not really sure if he should say this to Chaeyeon, but still, he doesn’t want her to quit just because they are uncomfortable with each other. If they are bounds to work together, then they should work together like a professional. no hard feelings attach.

 

“We knew each other too much you can’t even lie to me, Chaeyeon.”

 

“Why are you doing this?”

 

“Doing what?”

 

“This !” Chaeyeon shouts, eyes finally have its full concentration on Jongdae. “You don’t have to concern about me, if I want to resign; it has nothing to do with you. Let’s pretend that we didn’t know each other.”

 

“Like what you said, we didn’t know each other before this. Why should you resign?”

 

Oh.

 

There’s only one reason why Chaeyeon would resign. She loves her job even though it’s kind of tiring for her, she loves her work place although working with Junmyeon, her fiancé doesn’t sounds so good. The only reason why she would resign is Kim Jongdae.

 

But now, since he said they didn’t know each other before this, she won’t resign. And yes, she will pretend like they didn’t know each other, and the relationship between them is only a colleague.

 

“Plus, it’s not like we will be working together too often.”

 

Right.

 

 

***

 

She didn’t know if this is the best for them, but Jongdae has move on from his past life which means he no longer loves her. She is so sure about that. She can’t keep cling onto something that will never happen, especially now that she knows Jongdae has move on. She need to- no, she have to move on too.

 

Chaeyeon hesitantly pick up her phone, one touch and she will be connected with Junmyeon, and if that’s happen, there’s no way she can turn back anymore. Eventually, she touches the dial icon. After a few ringing, Junmyeon pick his phone.

 

“Chaeyeon?”

 

Chaeyeon clears her throats.

 

“Uhm..Junmyeon.. I wonder..if..”

 

“If?”

 

“If we can start over?”

 

Chaeyeon let out a heavy sighs. If this doesn’t turns out well, well screw her ! Before Junmyeon could reply to her, she cut off quickly.

 

“But before that, we need to talk.” 

 

 

 

Well, screw me. /  \