Part 7: A Realization of Longing

Uni. Oneshot Series

Smoothing out the paint across the canvas the painting turned into something a little more bearable.

 

At times such as this Jaehwa’s mind would be full of painting and nothing else. Painting calmed her and let her empty all her thoughts and feelings onto a picture. This painting was different, full of a empty night sky except for one star, Jaehwa wondered what this ache was deep down inside her chest.

 

Nothing but her thoughts and the ticking of the clock filled the room. Jaehwa stared up at the clock. It had been a few weeks since she last saw Wonshik. Usually he would already be here laughing and smiling with her. He did mention he might be busy for the next few weeks so they may not able to see each other, but Jaehwa could feel something was just not right.

 

Meeting back up with Wonshik after a year had truly been a blessing. Wonshik had been her closest friend for years, the first one to accept her for who she was. She had been delighted to see and talk with him again. But something had changed over the past year. Wonshik had begun to seem more down lately and now he seemed to be avoiding her.

 

Jaehwa knew Wonshik couldn't be that busy since Taekwoon took the same classes as him. Jaehwa worried that her old friend may be overworking himself.

 

“Jaehwa?” The soft voice of Taekwoon broke through her thoughts, “Are you ready to leave?”

 

Jaehwa wondered why she felt disappointed at the sound of Taekwoon’s voice. “Not really.”

 

Taekwoon sat next to her on a stool, leaning closer to gently talk to her, “Are you alright?”

 

Jaehwa wanted to say ‘No, I’m not alright’, but she settled for “I’m fine.”

 

It was different when they were separated by a long distance but now they are so close. Jaehwa is worried that her finding comfort in Taekwoon and the year they had been separated for changed something in Wonshik.

 

Taekwoon’s worried eyes scanned her face, holding her hands, “What’s wrong, Jaehwa? It looks like you're thinking hard about something.” He gently reached up to brush her hair out of her eyes, “You can talk to me about it.”

 

Jaehwa really didn’t know what to say, she felt so confused. “Wonshik...he’s been so busy lately.”

 

“He is a university student now.”

 

Jaehwa shook her head, “He should at least take breaks. He never comes around anymore, never to visit or just talk. It almost feels like…” Jaehwa’s voice grew smaller, “...he’s avoiding me.”

Taekwoon sighed, “Jaehwa, don’t think too much into it. I don’t think Wonshik would ever do that.” Taekwoon wasn’t dumb when he realized the way Wonshik talked about Jaehwa and the look in his eyes whenever he looked at her.

Taekwoon knew he was the one in Jaehwa’s heart instead, but the way she worried about Wonshik, it made him a little jealous. Gently he leaned forward and whispered into ear, “Jaehwa…”

 

“What?” That was the last thing she said before bursting into laughter. Taekwoon smiling as she struggled to get away from his tickling hands. Jaehwa dabbed her finger into some paint nearby and, in her struggles, swiped it across his cheek. She laughed harder at his surprised expression and Taekwoon took revenge by swiping paint across her cheek.

 

That issued a small paint fight between the two and laughter echoed the room. It took awhile before they found their breath again. Jaehwa lightly giggling in his arms while he smiled down at her. He was finally able to make her smile again and it sent warmth spreading through his body, he gently kissed her forehead.

 

As Jaehwa calmed down, she looked back up at him apologetically, “I’m sorry, Taekwoon, for not acting like myself lately. I guess I’m just stressed.”

 

He hugged her tighter, “You don’t need to apologize. I’m just glad I have you back.”

 

Taekwoon gently washes off the paint from her face as Jaehwa stares into his caring eyes. It feels warm and peaceful to be right here with Taekwoon in this moment, but she can’t help remembering the way Wonshik use to tickle her neck playfully as they would laugh together. Jaewha looked down at the floor as her heart ached. She missed Wonshik’s laugh.

 

Taekwoon watched carefully as her eyes shined with tears. He gently took her hands in his, meeting her gaze, “I love you, Jaehwa.”

 

“Taekwoon…” She didn’t know what to say. It scared her that her heart beat didn’t quicken nor did she feel any happiness, she only felt loneliness.  

 

“...I’m sorry.” She got up quickly and left the room afraid if she stayed longer she may say something she might regret.

 

Jaehwa never once turned back to see Taekwoon’s heart breaking.

 


 

Thank you to everyone who has waited patiently for the rest of this series. Also thank you to everyone who has subscribed, read, and commented.

 

Comments mean so much so don’t be shy to leave a comment whenever. (Even if it’s been a few weeks or months I'll still read it.)

 

The next parts are coming out everyday until Christmas, so I hope you all look forward to that.

 

Next,

 

Part 8: Under The Night Sky

Look forward to it!