Part 1: Longing

Uni. Oneshot Series

Part 1: Longing

 

Fading sunlight poured into the room splaying across the dark tiled floor. Wonshik’s gaze lingered on Jaehwa from where he stood at the doorway. She sat on a stool with her back to him, gentle brushstrokes coming to life on the canvas situated in front of her. Rays of the sun cascading upon her soft blond curls laying gently across her shoulders, so soft, he wanted to gently caress her hair in the most painful way for him possible.

 

The young male took a deep breath, trying to calm his heart. Slowly, he stepped towards her. Red, green, and yellow littered the blank canvas, smooth green plains stood out amongst the sunset sky. Her hand slowly and expertly painted a soft white figure, features fanning out, ready to take off and soar through the endless sky.

 

Jaehwa was always such a great artist. He lightly touched her shoulder, offering her a smile of his own as she turned to him with a stunning smile that left him weak in the knees.

 

"Wonshik! You came!", she called out excitedly.

 

Chuckling at her excitement, Wonshik pulled up a stool and sat down next to her, "I finished my project a little earlier than expected. So I decided to come and visit today."

 

A small smile was painted on her plush lips as her eyes crinkled up in a way that it shined in the faded sunlight. "Wonshik, you know you didn't have to." Jaehwa softly pointed out, swirling her paintbrush in a mixture of red and yellow.

 

"I know, but we haven't seen each other for awhile." Wonshik answered back gently.

 

Jaehwa hummed lightly as she begin to add more detail to her painting.

 

Wonshik sneaked a glance at the older girl. Admiring how her long soft eyelashes complimented her dazzling brown eyes. Even more breathtaking was her plump lips, which set into a concentrated pout that made her even more cuter than before. Wonshik found his heart felt like it might fall out any second with his eyes never leavIng hers.

 

"Wonshik?"

 

Jaehwa turned to him, she was so close, so very close. His eyes drifted downwards for a moment before shooting back towards her questioning gaze.

 

He backed away sharply before he could do something he regretted, "What?" Wonshik's cheeks were painted rose-colored with his gaze averted from hers.

 

"You've.....", her eyes narrowed in a calculating way, the paintbrush she was holding pointed towards him, ".....been acting strange lately."

 

"Strange? Wh-Why would I be acting strange?", his smile barely reached his eyes as the younger let out a forced laugh.

 

Jaehwa set down her paintbrush, turning to him with a concerned look. "Wonshik, is there something wrong?"

 

Wonshik bit his lip nervously and twiddled his fingers, "There isn't anything wrong....."

 

Jaehwa pouted cutely and returned to her painting, Wonshik felt suddenly guilty for turning away her offer for help. "I'm sorry, Jaehwa. I'm just...stressed."

 

The older turned toward him again, grinning so brightly Wonshik didn't think he would be able to see anything for awhile. "Is that all?", she turned back to her painting with a soft expression, "Being a music composition major must be hard work."

 

Wonshik let out a nervous smile, glad that she didn't press any further into the matter, "It must be harder to be a Arts Major, always having to stay after class."

 

Jaehwa shook her head, her blonde curls softly moving with her. "Not really, I love to paint and draw, especially during this time of the day."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yes!", Jaehwa turned to him with an even brighter smile than before and Wonshik wished that kind of expression would be directed towards him forever. But it was too good to be true.

 

"Jaehwa."

 

Wonshik's heart felt like it had dropped to the pit of his stomach as Jaehwa sat up almost immediately at the soft voice. Only worsening when she began to smile so lovingly, the one expression Wonshik knew would never be directed towards him, over his shoulder to where an older student stood leaning against the doorframe.

 

Jaehwa immediately set down her paintbrush and took off her apron to quickly walk over and hug the newcomer. Wonshik could hardly watch the two as they exchanged a small kiss, sharing such affectionate gazes and touches. He knew it was a bad idea to come today.

 

With a cheery smile, Jaehwa cleaned and packed up her supplies. The two men stared at each other saying nothing.

 

"Bye, Wonshik! See you tomorrow!", Jaehwa called out as she walked out of the room with Taekwoon, the older male's arm affectionately around her waist.


Wonshik watched from the stool that was once warm, but now had become bitterly cold. He wondered if he would be given the chance to one day trade places with the luckiest man in the world.

 


 

I hope you all enjoyed reading Part 1 and look forward to Part 2 soon! Thank you to everyone who comments, reads, reviews, and subscribes! You are all welcome to comment and send in your personal thoughts!