Special: What Hurts Can Always Heal

Uni. Oneshot Series

Taekwoon sipped his coffee, taking in the warm atmosphere of the cafe. Other students in their groups of friends and couples out on dates. He turned from the sight deciding to look out the window instead.

 

It has been a month since they broke up. Taekwoon still finds it hard to move on from Jaehwa, she had been his first love, it was a special bond that could only last for a short time. Taekwoon had cherished their time together but Jaehwa had really deserve to be with someone who loved her and could take better care of her heart. Taekwoon wished Wonshik and Jaehwa the best. They had been meant for each other from the start, no one could deny that.

 

The bells at the cafe’s door ringed through the bustling cafe. “Taekwoon!” Sanghyuk bundled up in a pale coat, a knitted hat ontop of her head, a huge scarf, joyfully bouncing up to him with a happy grin.

 

Taekwoon couldn’t help as his lips curled up into a soft smile. The younger girl sat down in the chair across from him, thanking him for the hot chocolate to warm her up.

 

Ever since the time they talked again in the practice room, they’ve been meeting up more for studying and just to generally hang out. They were the only two among their friends who weren’t in a relationship and Taekwoon was uncomfortable being around the others at the moment. It was only Sanghyuk that made him feel comfortable and not as if he has just gone through a breakup.

 

And Taekwoon won’t deny that he has grown a soft spot for the younger girl. Though he would never think of her as more than friends.

 

“So what are we doing today?” Sanghyuk excitedly asking, holding the warm cup in her hands.

 

He placed his arms on the table about to answer when he spotted chocolate near her lips. Without thinking he grabbed a nearby napkin and leaned forward, “You got chocolate on your face.”

 

Before he could wipe it off, Sanghyuk covered and looked embarrassed, her cheeks turning more red than they had been from the cold. Taekwoon blinked, confused at her sudden actions. Sanghyuk swiped the napkin out of his hand and wiped with it. Taekwoon sat back down and just stared at her, Sanghyuk avoiding his eyes.

 

She wasn’t the same joyful girl from a few minutes, now she is acting so strange and he doesn’t understand why. He had done nothing wrong. It was only a little later into the silence he realized why she was acting like this.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry, Sanghyuk. I didn’t mean to....”

 

Sanghyuk giggled softly, “It was just so sudden and I didn’t know how to react.”

 

Taekwoon looked down, “Jaehwa was sort of a messy eater so I used to do that all the time…”

 

“Jaehwa huh?” She whispered.

 

Taekwoon glanced back to the younger, her eyes downcast. Taekwoon decided he should lift the mood a little, “There is that new movie you been wanting to see. You want to go?”

 

Sanghyuk perked up, her eyes shining, “Today?!”

 

Taekwoon nodded.

 

Sanghyuk excitedly cheered, “I can’t wait to go see it! Thank you, Taekwoon.”

 

Taekwoon’s heart warmed as he watched the younger smile, her eyes crinkling into little half moons, suddenly his heart hurt.

 

Sanghyuk stood up and Taekwoon followed her out the door into the cold, pushing away the memories from his mind.

 


 

Sanghyuk placed her hands in her coat pockets, trying to stay warm from the bitter wind. She snuck a glance at Taekwoon. Sanghyuk realized she was almost about his height. She could just reach up and-

 

Sanghyuk turned away, blocking out the thoughts from her mind as pink covered her cheeks.

 

They walked silently down the colorfully decorated sidewalks. People busily rushing around trying to get their last minute shopping done before the holidays. Couples laughing and cuddling up to each other for warmth. Carols being sung in the background of the shining lights that surrounded them.

 

Sanghyuk glanced down to Taekwoon’s hand, a million of thoughts racing through her mind.

 

“Sanghyuk?”

 

The younger stopped walking to stare up wide eyed at Taekwoon, “What?”

 

He watched her curiously, “Are you alright?”

 

Her cheeks redden and hoped Taekwoon thought it was just from the cold. She avoided his gaze, “I’m fine.” She walked on, Taekwoon following a few seconds later.

 


 

Sanghyuk chattered away about the movie they just saw. Taekwoon couldn’t help the soft smile to fall on his lips as he watched her get all happy about it.

 

Suddenly her eyes lit up and she started to run, calling for him to hurry up. Taekwoon let a small chuckle fall from his lips from her childish actions. He joined her underneath the giant Christmas tree.

 

Standing under the shining christmas lights on the tree, Taekwoon remembered last Christmas.

 

Her hand touched his gently their eyes never leaving the lights. Her shaky voice echoed in his ears, “Can I trust you?”

 

Taekwoon looked down into her eyes, shining brightly along with the festive air, Taekwoon thought his heart might stop in that moment.

 

Now standing in the exact same spot from last year without Jaehwa by his side but another girl, he doesn’t feel as lonely as he thought he would.

 

“Taekwoon.”

 

Taekwoon looked over to the younger. Sanghyuk wore a bright smile and it did nothing to help his heartbeat from speeding up in his chest

 

Suddenly she shook her head and looked back up at the lights, pink on her cheeks probably from the cold air and her eyes shining brightly.

 

Taekwoon did everything he could to stop himself from reaching up to touch her pink cheeks. He looked back up at the lights with a shaky heart.

 


 

Hakyeon looked up as Sanghyuk entered the dorm. Her cheeks flushed red with a smile on her lips, as she took her coat and scarf off. Lately, Hakyeon has been so busy with college work and...Hongbin that she hasn’t really talked to the younger in a while. The older turned around in her chair with a smile, “Did you have a good day?”

 

Sanghyuk nodded happily, sitting on her bed cuddling a pillow to her, “hm! The best!” she giggled.

 

Hakyeon looked questioningly at her, “Why are you so happy?”

 

Sanghyuk sighed, “I guess it’s just because I never been so comfortable around someone before.”

 

Hakyeon pouted, “And I thought we were friends. So who is this person you’re talking about?”

 

Sanghyuk mumbled into her pillow.

 

“What?”

 

“It’s Taekwoon.”

 

Hakyeon knew it had only been a month or two since Jaehwa and Taekwoon had broken up and now seeing the younger dancer fawn over him, she really doesn’t know what to say.

 

“Taekwoon is a really great friend. There is nothing between us at all.” Sanghyuk answered as the silence grew on between them. Sanghyuk is just too smart for her.

 

Hakyeon hesitated, “Sanghyuk, I’m not thinking that it’s wrong for there to be something between the two of you. But you know it’s only been a short time since-”

 

“It only took Jaehwa a few weeks to be in the arms of another.”

 

“That was another matter entirely and the reason for that is between Taekwoon and Jaehwa.”

 

“Hearts can change quicker than you think, Hakyeon.”

 

“Yes, but memories from the past take a long time to fade away.”

 

Seeing the seriousness in Hakyeon’s eyes, Sanghyuk looked away. She knew what Hakyeon was saying, she had her own hard time getting over Hongbin. But, Taekwoon is different than how it was with Hongbin and she finally feels alive again. Sanghyuk laid down hugging the pillow to her as she turned her back to Hakyeon.

 

‘Hakyeon, just doesn’t understand.’

 


 

Taekwoon walked out of his classroom chatting away with Wonshik. They were excited that their class was finally over for the semester and couldn’t wait for the holiday break. He suddenly stopped when he spotted Hakyeon leaning against a wall, staring at him. Wonshik greeted Hakyeon and she smiled back, but Taekwoon could see that she just wanted to talk to him alone.

 

Wonshik soon got the message and he patted him on the shoulder, whispering ‘good luck’ before walking away.

 

As she stared harder at him, Taekwoon knew this wasn’t going to be good.

 

Hakyeon relaxed a bit but still stared at him while smiling, “I heard you’ve been hanging out with Sanghyuk lately.” She said casually.

 

Taekwoon sighed, “We are just mutual friends.”

 

“It doesn’t seem that way.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Sanghyuk seems to have a thing for you.”

 

“That can’t be true. She likes- she likes someone else.”

 

“Is there something you're not telling me, Taekwoon?”

 

“Why don’t you just leave us alone! We’re just friends! And even if we become something more that is none of your business!”

 

Taekwoon walked off. He knew he shouldn't have snapped at his old friend like that. He just couldn’t stand the false accusations and...Sanghyuk didn’t like him, it wasn’t true.

 


 

Sanghyuk took another bite of the cake, savoring the taste. Taekwoon watched every move. What Hakyeon had said has been bothering him. Does Sanghyuk actually like him? And why does the thought of her liking him make him so happy?

 

Sanghyuk looked up cheerfully, “You have got to try this cake, Taekwoon! It’s delicious!” Before Taekwoon could tell her ‘no’ she was putting a piece of the cake into his mouth. Sanghyuk watched him expectantly as he chewed. But all he could think about is that he just had an indirect kiss with her.

 

He nodded after a while, “It’s delicious.”

 

Her face lit up and Taekwoon could barely remember the smile Jaehwa use to have, he could only see what is in front of him now.

 

“Really! Would you like some more?” She held out another piece on the same fork.

 

With a soft smile he shook his head, “No.”

 

She still put into his mouth anyway and she laughed so hard at how surprised and funny his face looked. Taekwoon knew he couldn’t get mad at her, not when his chest is fluttering with butterflies from her laugh.

 

Maybe Sanghyuk is more special to him than he realized.

 


 

I actually really enjoyed writing this special and I hope you all enjoyed reading it too. The Last Part: Under The Mistletoe will be up soon.

 

Look forward to it!