Part 4: The Silence of a Warm Heart

Uni. Oneshot Series

He lifted her sobbing face up, cupping her cheeks, "Hongbin, wh-" the younger kissed her soft and lovingly on the lips. It lasted for a while the two froze to the spot, Sanghyuk couldn't believe what she had come across while just walking to the library.  

 

The object of her many daydreams backed away quickly from Hakyeon. His face flushed red, "I'm sorry, Noona! I-I wasn't thinking!...."

 

Sanghyuk stood there frozen, watching it all happen before her very eyes.

 

Hakyeon lightly traced the lingering feeling on her lips. "Hongbin?....", she quietly said after a few moments of silence.

 

"Yes?"

 

"Do you....", there was a pause, ".....like me?"

 

The younger blushed deeply again and nervously looked around, "I....I..." before taking a deep breath and facing her again. "Yes....I....I love you, Hakyeon-noona. I always have....I want to be the one who can love just as much as Wonshik loves Jaehwa. I want to be the one who can shower you with overwhelming warmth and love. I know you love Wonshik but.....I can wait...wait until you come running into my open arms no matter how long it takes. I love you, Cha Hakyeon."

 

Sanghyuk watched as her Unnie, her precious mentor, looked back at up at the object of her affections. It hurt, watching this happened, she couldn't watch anymore knowing what the answer is going to be. She doesn't want to hear it. "Hongbin...I.."

 

Sanghyuk walked away from the scene as quickly as she could. Blinking away the water slowly forming at the edges of her eyes and ignoring the slow ache in her chest, she walked on towards the library wanting to rid herself of that moment.

 

Sanghyuk found herself stuck in her own dilemma, the library was almost filled to the brim with students studying, which really wasn’t unusual for a late Tuesday night. She wonder if she shouldn’t just go back to the dorms to study but she really didn’t want to be alone with her thoughts right now. The crowded silence in the library made everything feel more alive and less alone.

 

Sanghyuk hoped she could at least an empty seat or table or, in the other case, a cushion. It was only then that the young dancer caught sight of the quiet gaze of a familiar black-haired male, who studied his books and scribbled down notes on his papers so intently, it was like he was in another world. Sanghyuk had noticed that he was the only person to be seated at the table and, personally, Sanghyuk didn’t feel like sitting down on the floor.

 

Gathering up her courage she walked over to the table, setting her books down and taking the seat across from him, she tried to ignore his gaze. Sanghyuk didn’t even take one look at him before she got down to work. Taekwoon glancing up at her every second wasn’t helping her focus anymore as if she really couldn’t focus on anything with her heart crying and breaking by the minute.

 

Being in the presence of him only reminded her of how he was long-time friends with her mentor, the one who had stolen her long time crush, and nothing about it could be changed. Just as Taekwoon moved to glanced up at her again he was met with the strong fierce eyes of hers staring straight back. He quickly looked back down and continued on with his work.

 

Sanghyuk felt slight disappointment at the sudden loss of silent communication between the two of them. She had met Taekwoon because of her mentor and Hakyeon has told her before Taekwoon communicates more through actions than words, but then why would he be worried about her? All she is just an acquaintance to him. Why would Taekwoon feel any interest in her at all? She has heard he has a girlfriend and Sanghyuk knows that no matter what she always has bad luck in things like love or friendship. She will always be overshadowed by others, that’s her fate in life, to always be the secondary character in the background, never the main character of her own happy ending.

 

Eyes clouded in deep thought, Taekwoon wondered what the younger was thinking about. He had seen Sanghyuk many times when he visited Hakyeon at the dance room. With youthful features and the fire of passion in her eyes as she danced, Taekwoon had seen another great dancer inside Sanghyuk, just as he had in Hakyeon. He had thought the young girl would never look so defeated. Maybe she was just having a rough day.

 

Frowning softly as he watched her struggling to study, he suddenly felt an urge to help her feel better. Standing up, Taekwoon walked away to somewhere.

 

Sanghyuk watched curiously, wondering where he was going.

 

A few minutes later, Taekwoon came back holding two cups of steaming hot coffee. Sitting down, he quietly offered one to her. Quietly surprised by the older’s unexpected offer, she took it in her hands, thanking him.

 

“Coffee always makes me feel better after a long day. I thought maybe….”

 

Sanghyuk had never liked the taste of coffee but she had never been offered a cup of the bitter drink like this before. Taekwoon had been thinking of her wellbeing. Was she too obvious?

 

Sanghyuk’s cheeks redden as she took a sip of the hot drink. It tasted sweeter than it usually does, maybe too sweet. The coffee made her forget for a short while why her heart hurt. She felt warmer than she has in years.

 

The two of them stay until the library closed. Enjoying their time together studying, as they helped each other understand problems they were having on college work. During those hours, Sanghyuk forgot her worries and heartbreak, maybe having found a close friend in the quiet Taekwoon.

 

They walked back to the dorms together. Having casual conversations in the cool night air. Taekwoon never thought he could grow this close to someone in such a short time. It even took him a while to become close to Jaehwa and Hakyeon. Maybe it was the younger’s energy, passion, and knowledge that was pulling him closer. Sanghyuk could come out to be a really great and loyal friend.

 

As they neared the dorms, Sanghyuk felt slightly disappointed and scared. Hakyeon is her roommate, which makes it hard to avoid her at all. Seeing Hakyeon may bring back heartbreaking memories she doesn’t want to remember.

 

“Taekwoon!” Sanghyuk looked up suddenly to see Jaehwa, one of her roommates, tackle him with a hug. Taekwoon embraced her, soft smiles on their faces.

 

That’s when it hit Sanghyuk like a heavy wave of water. Everyone but her had found happiness.

 

“Oh, Sanghyuk! You’re here?” Jaehwa turned to her with a smile, not knowing the kind of thoughts filling her mind.

 

She nodded.

 

“We met at the library this afternoon. I was just walking her back.” Taekwoon stated without thinking first.

 

Sanghyuk gripped her bag tightly, what if Jaehwa thought Taekwoon was cheating on her? She got ready for the fight but it never came.

 

Sanghyuk met Jaehwa’s grin, “That’s great! You know, it’s scary for a girl to be out alone at night. It was a good thing Taekwoon walked you back.”

 

Jaehwa giggled as she held his hand. She turned and kissed him on the cheek, “Thank you for taking care of Sanghyuk. Goodnight,  my Kitty.”

 

Taekwoon blushed at the nickname. Before he could respond, Jaehwa was already running off with Sanghyuk in tow.

 

Watching their retreating backs, Taekwoon wondered if everything would stay the same.

 


I had several ideas for this part (which is why it took so long to finish.) but I ended up with this. Originally, I planned long and hard for Sanghyuk to go cry in the school garden and Taekwoon sees her and comforts her. He hands her a flower...and Sanghyuk thinks that Taekwoon is actually really nice. When she gets back to the dorm Hakyeon teases her. Something like that...I’ve had to figure out a lot of what the characters relationships are with each other and what they would do and act in certain situations. After coming up with the library idea this was some of my notes for the idea: Sang runs off after seeing chabin. Meets up with Taekwoon at the local library, because Taek works until night time at a local coffee shop and Sang needed help on one of her classes. Sang at first thought Taek was cold and intimidating but after hanging out with the group, she found Taek to be warm and somewhat doting on her as the youngest. Sang sees Taek as a caring older brother and nothing more and Jaehwa openly accepts their friendly relationship. But it didn’t really work out so I went back to them not knowing each other very well. The garden part actually didn’t work as a idea in the end (no matter how much I liked it) because it was too similar to...another scene I shouldn’t talk about yet.

 

I don’t know when the next part will be out. College is coming up soon and it’s been a while since I looked at my notes for this series, I can barely remember what the next part was about.

 

Thank you to everyone who reads, subscribes, and comments!

You can always follow or message me at my personal tumblr, Starlightkat24 or my writing tumblr blog, tales-from-blizzard-the-kat.  

 

I hope you all enjoyed reading this!

Comments are always welcomed!