18. For you.

Autumn Leaves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For you.

 

 

It had been two weeks and three days since Baekhyun attended college. Three weeks and five days since he saw Baekhyun's face up close. And, Park Chanyeol was worried! To say that he was tensed is an understatement. He had almost punched the window of his car with frustration. He had no idea whatsoever about Baekhyun and it got his mind in a tangled mess. The last few days had been the worst because Luhan and Chen refused to talk to him, always in a hurry and always worried. Even Kyungsoo had no idea about Baekhyun's conditions which was surprising to Kyungsoo himself. Baekhyun had not responded to any of his calls and this got Kyungsoo tensed.

"What do you think has happened to him?" Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo whilst biting his nails.

"I don't know... It might be serious. No, it's got to be serious. Why else would he skip classes for weeks altogether?" Kyungsoo said, equally worried and clueless.

"I'm afraid... I-I... He can't-" Chanyeol's voice suddenly cracked and his eyes grew teary, lips tightly pressed to prevent any cries that were threatening to spill out. Kyungsoo reached out to Chanyeol and tried to console his friend.

"Hey. It's okay... He'll be fi-"

"Kyungsoo and Chanyeol! Both of you. Please go out and do the chatting. You're disturbing the class." Mr. Seo's voice boomed and immediately silenced the duo.

__

"So, Baekhyun, can you tell me, in brief, about your dreams?" The therapist asked.

"They...are not dreams..." He whispered.

"Umm...Okay, I know, they're nightmares. Now, can you tell me about them?"

"Neither are they some nightmares..." Baekhyun whispered again.

The therapist looked at him quizzically, waiting for him to continue and let her have an insight into his mind. But when there came no further explanation, she urged him to talk.

"Give me some time... I'll be back..." Baekhyun said and sped away into the balcony attached to the doctor's cabin.

Baekhyun shivered when a wave of wind swept across him. He was suffering from a fever for a few days now. The lack of sleep had fatigued him. His body was in pain and his headache worsened with each sleepless night. His eyes were red, the corners of his eyes swollen from crying continuously.

The therapist stood behind him, trying to gauge his body language. She observed him for a long time without the exchange of a word.

 

 

 

"So, what you see at night are your memories. Hmm..."

With difficulty, Baekhyun had finally managed to narrate all about his past with trembling hands clutching his own shirt and voice cracking from time to time.

"Baekhyun, have you had this problem all along? I heard you were treated before, just after this incident transpired. Did the treatment work for you?"

"The treatments and those sessions worked well. It took me a little more than seven months, but the sessions were very helpful... I could at least sleep..." Baekhyun sighed, a lone tear escaping his swollen eyes.

"What do you mean by 'at least'?"

"I mean... The doctor said that he would help me... to..to get over the incident... but that never happened. The memories were fresh all this while, but I could always distract myself from them. After the treatment, I never had nightmares about my mother or brother... Not until a few weeks ago..."

"Baekhyun, I think your memories were triggered. Something must have happened... I need you to think about everything that happened for the first time the nightmares came back. Take a deep breath and-"

"I don't need to think, doctor. I already know the reason..." Baekhyun squeezed his eyes shut, trying to keep away the disturbing memories of his brother falling down lifelessly and the sight of the hooded figure, standing right behind his brother. He gasped and choked on the air, coughing violently, fingers clenching even more tightly around his shirt.

"Baekhyun, calm down. Don't let the memories bother you. Don't try to force them out. You can't. You're only worsening this. Baekhyun, open your eyes and let them go. They'll go away just like how they came. Do you understand? Baekhyun?"

"Um, yeah. I-I understand... But... i-it's har-d." Baekhyun mumbled. Baekhyun took in a deep breath in an attempt to calm his raging thoughts. It took him a few minutes to calm down and the therapist waited patiently.

"Are you okay, now?"

"Yeah... Thanks."

"You told me that you know the reason. What is it, Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun closed his eyes again, finding it difficult to keep himself from hyperventilating. "The reason... it-it was a man. A man with his face almost covered in a black hoodie. H-he kept following me that day... I-I wa-was afr-aid... terrified... That's when t-the ni-ght-mare started..."

"Who was it? Why was he following you?"

"I-I'm not...s-sure... It must be some sort of prank… A day before that I was pulled into a dark room by someone in the changing room… I don’t know when or how he got into that room… And I didn’t get to see his face… I couldn’t see the face of the person who had followed me, either… but, I think these two are the same person…”

“I don’t think it’s a prank, Baekhyun. Did the guy try to harm you in any way when he pulled you into the room? What did he do? Why did he pull you in?”

The memory of being pulled by the stranger made him remember all the crazy things he did that night, trying to get rid of the feeling of that person’s fingers on his waist and all over the torso. Just recalling it made his skin tingle.

He cleared his throat to get his mind off that memory.

“Umm… no. He didn’t harm me or anything. He just pulled me inside. In fact, he helped me escape from them. He did nothing to alarm me.” He gulped after mumbling the last part.

“Escape?”

“Ah! Umm… I was escaping...from my friends. We were just having a small fight like we always do. Yeah.” Baekhyun lied, awkwardly clearing his throat at the end.

“Oh okay. Baekhyun I think it’s enough for today. I have noted down a few points, I’ll see through them and figure out about your condition. Try to sleep tonight, Baekhyun. You can’t go on like this forever. If you had a nightmare, then think about all the fun time you had with your mother and brother while they were alive. If it doesn’t help, think about your friends, your girlfriend or boyfriend. You know, if you have one, that is.”

Baekhyun lightly choked when he heard the last bit, making the therapist chuckle. He picked his coat from the hanger and walked off after mumbling a small bye to her.

__

Kyungsoo was sitting on a bean bag, facing the window, while Chanyeol was sprawled on his bed. The atmosphere around them seemed remorse and Chanyeol's mother found it devastatingly depressing. She was surprised to see a grim Chanyeol and Kyungsoo at the doorstep, punching the calling bell impatiently, Chanyeol forgetting to use his keys to unlock the door instead. She had been observing her son for a few days now. She could not figure out what was bothering him. But she could clearly see the worry and sadness shadowing his features. She wanted to confront him, but she thought of giving him his space. She wanted to be understanding and so did not press the matter when Chanyeol told her that he was fine.

The moon rose high in the night sky, but the two friends could not sleep a wink. Kyungsoo g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter