The Moment I Wake Up

Baby, Let's Cruise

Prompt: Person A and B live together in an apartment. Person A always wakes up first and makes breakfast, they always have to drag person B out of bed to eat it.

 

I could tell by the time I finished the first paragraph that this wasn't going to be short. It's less than 1k words, but it still seems long. I like to think of this as taking place sometime just after they moved in together. I don't know how I manage to make these stories so damn cute. I always have so much to say while I'm writing and then when I go to post, I can't think of anything. But anyway, enjoy~

 


 

It's not that Sungyeol is a morning person. If given the choice he would much rather sleep in, but in his profession (and with his popularity) he doesn't get that luxury very often. It also doesn't help that he's a very light sleeper. The slightest noise or movement tends to wake him up and then he has trouble going back to sleep. So one would think he would cherish his random mornings (or days) off. And he does; there's nothing better than waking up to Myungsoo laying on his chest and not having to ease him off so he can get up and be out of the apartment before his manager starts hounding him. Sometimes they spend the whole day in bed, "making up for lost time" as Myungsoo likes to call it, only getting up for the necessities.

Sungyeol smiles to himself at the memory of their last lazy day. Unfortunately, they won't have time for that. Although his morning is free, his afternoon and night are completely booked. It starts with an interview after lunch followed by a table reading for his latest drama then he has a photo-shoot for the clothing endorsement deal he'd recently signed and then his schedule ends with a cameo in an idol girl group's debut music video. (Woohyun had been insanely jealous of the last one—he still is, come to think of it. Sungyeol makes a mental note to casually bring up his friend to the girls if he can.)

With such a full schedule it would make more sense if Sungyeol stayed in bed for another hour or two. But instead he's standing in the kitchen at the stove trying to fry an egg in the shape of a heart. Technically it's not that hard a task. With the bit of advice he'd gotten from Woohyun and Mrs. Nam, he thinks he knows what he's doing. The rice had been easy enough; put the rice and the right amount of water in the cooker and set the timer and that's that. The side dishes had been a little trickier. Maybe if he'd watched his mother cook more often then he would have a better grasp of it. Either way, he's still proud of the outcome—only a couple of vegetables were burned beyond recognition. The finishing touch is the fried egg. He'd managed to find a heart-shaped cookie cutter lying around and imagining the look on Myungsoo's face when he sees the cute addition had been enough to convince him that it was a good idea.

He decides the small burns on his hands are worth it after he places the cooked egg on top of the mound of rice he'd scooped into a bowl. He mentally pats himself on the back as he looks at all of the food on the table. Mrs. Nam will be so proud of him. He snaps a quick picture of his hard work before heading to the bedroom to rouse his boyfriend. That's a challenge all on its own.

Myungsoo is sprawled across the bed when Sungyeol comes into the room. Clearly his absence hadn't made much of a difference to the other man. "'Soo," he calls out, shaking Myungsoo's shoulder gently. "Myungsoo." The other doesn't even twitch. Deciding on a change in tactic, Sungyeol drops down onto the bed and leans over Myungsoo. He takes a moment to admire the man underneath him. His eyelashes fanned out against his skin, the pink of his lips, the splay of his hair on the pillow. It should be impossible for someone to be so effortlessly perfect. Even though Myungsoo has proven that he's so much more than his face, Sungyeol doesn't think he'll ever get tired of looking at it. He's never met anyone as beautiful as Myungsoo and he feels incredibly lucky that the other man agreed to be his boyfriend; that he chose to be with him.

Leaning closer, he places a kiss on Myungsoo's forehead. Then another on the tip of his nose. "Myungsoo," Sungyeol calls again. He resumes shaking the other as he speaks right next to his ear. "It's time to wake up."

Myungsoo grumbles something unintelligible, turning his head away from Sungyeol, but remaining otherwise undisturbed. Sungyeol takes that to mean he should try harder. He puts his mouth on the exposed skin of Myungsoo's neck and blows a loud raspberry. With a grunt Myungsoo makes a weak attempt at pushing Sungyeol's face away. "Let me sleep," he mumbles, trying to turn over (and further away from Sungyeol). But the other man's weight is settled on his torso and keeping him from moving. "Move," he whines.

Sungyeol grins at how cute his boyfriend sounds despite the underlying annoyance in his tone. "The food's getting cold, you know."

As expected, Myungsoo rouses immediately. His eyes blink open and easily focus on Sungyeol. "Food? What food?"

"Food your very loving boyfriend made especially for you."

A sleepy smile stretches across Myungsoo’s face and Sungyeol can’t help reaching out to poke the dimple that forms in his cheek. “You cooked for me,” he asks, sounding touched even while he’s really only half-awake.

Myungsoo hasn’t even seen the breakfast Sungyeol’s prepared, but he seems excited by the idea. Sungyeol feels immensely proud seeing how happy his boyfriend is. He adjusts himself so that he’s lying next to Myungsoo. His hand goes from poking the other’s cheek to gently it. The food is probably not piping hot by now, but Sungyeol can’t bring himself to get up. “Of course,” he replies, returning Myungsoo’s smile. “I’d do anything for you.”