And Forever It Will Be, You and Me

Baby, Let's Cruise

Prompt: Imagine Person A proposing to Person B by leaving a ring box (or just a ring) in their own jacket pocket and lending it to B on a cold day.

This was bound to happen, I think. And I shouldn't be surprised that it's as long as it is. I was wondering if I should write a couple other stories before posting this one, but since this isn't chronological I guess it doesn't matter. Maybe one day I'll write a good ending. This'll have to do for now.

 


 

"How are we out of coffee," Sungyeol asks, turning the empty coffee container over as if that'll make more appear. It doesn't work, obviously.

"Maybe because you drink it every day," Myungsoo supplies from his slouched position on the couch. "Just have juice or something. We can get more coffee later." Later meaning the next day. It's the first time they're both off at the same time in weeks. Myungsoo has no intention of going anywhere or doing anything productive.

Back in the kitchen, Sungyeol sighs dramatically—he's an actor, after all. "I can't 'just have juice or something'. I always drink coffee in the morning. I need to drink coffee in the morning." Myungsoo gives an ambiguous grunt. Apparently the children's' cartoon playing on the TV is more interesting than the life or death situation in the kitchen. Tossing the empty container on the counter, Sungyeol makes his way into the living room. "'Soo," he says pitifully as he sidles up next to his boyfriend and rests his chin on his shoulder. "I need coffee."

Myungsoo reaches up to pat Sungyeol's face with an amused smile playing on his lips. Sungyeol's so cute when he's whiny. "So go buy some more," he states simply.

Sungyeol groans, burying his face in the other man's neck. "Come with me?"

"Nope." He laughs and pushes Sungyeol's head away when the other lets out a high whine. "I just got comfortable," he explains, "I don't want to have to start all over again."

"'Soo."

"'Yeol."

Sungyeol huffs, put out that Myungsoo isn't caving as easily as usual. "Fine," he sighs as he stands up. He disappears into the bedroom for a couple minutes. When he comes back into the living room, he's changed into a hoodie and jeans with a baseball cap pulled low on his head. "I'm not getting you anything," he tells Myungsoo.

The haughtiness of his tone only makes Myungsoo chuckle. They both know he can't stay mad at him for very long. He'll probably find something Myungsoo would want. (Although, when it comes to food it's almost guaranteed that Myungsoo would want it.) "I'm not asking for anything," Myungsoo replies easily. Without a response, Sungyeol turns his back to his boyfriend and bends down to put on his shoes. As Myungsoo watches him getting ready to leave, a thought occurs to him. He's been waiting for the right time to ask Sungyeol a very important question. It feels long overdue, but also like he's getting ahead of himself. There's no reason to suspect that Sungyeol won't feel the same way; that he doesn't feel the same. He thinks they're ready for this next step and he hopes like Hell that Sungyeol thinks so too.

When Sungyeol finishes tying his shoes Myungsoo gets up to stop him before he can walk out the door. "Take my jacket," he suggests in what he hopes is a casual way. "I don't want you to catch a cold."

"It's not that cold out. And I'm just going across the street. I think I'll be fine."

"It's cold enough," Myungsoo insists.

Sungyeol tries and fails to hide the smile on his face. He's still pretending to be mad; he doesn't want Myungsoo to see him enjoying being worried about. "You won't let me leave without your jacket, will you?" At Myungsoo's answering shake of his head, Sungyeol pulls him closer with a hand cupping his cheek. Myungsoo melts under his touch, wrapping his arms around Sungyeol's waist as their lips meet halfway. He's sure Sungyeol is just indulging his own whims, but for Myungsoo the kiss is more about showing his boyfriend how much he loves him. Especially when he's about to ask such a big question.

Whether Sungyeol gets the message or not, he doesn't know. But the look in his eyes when he finally pulls away tells Myungsoo enough. "I'll be back," Sungyeol says softly. It's not a necessary announcement, but Myungsoo still appreciates it.

"You kind of have to go if you're supposed to come back," Myungsoo comments when Sungyeol continues to hold him. He gives him one more quick kiss just because he can before extracting himself and reaching for his jacket. He holds it up for Sungyeol to get into it, holding his breath in anticipation of the other noticing the weight in the left pocket. His worrying proves to be unnecessary as Sungyeol simply turns back around to give him one last kiss. He walks out the door in better spirits than when he'd first decided to venture outside.

Myungsoo finds himself holding his breath again. He expects Sungyeol to walk back in immediately. He stares at the door handle and counts to five. Nothing happens. Then he goes up to ten. Still nothing. He's halfway to twenty when the sudden beep of the door unlocking surprises him. Sungyeol strides in, head bent in embarrassment and slightly out of breath.

"I forgot my wallet," he answers Myungsoo's unasked question.

It's hard to say whether Myungsoo is relieved or disappointed. Maybe it's a confusing mixture of the two. His eyes follow Sungyeol as he heads into their bedroom to retrieve his wallet. He chews on his bottom lip while he waits for his boyfriend to come back out. After a full two minutes pass and there's no sign of the other man, Myungsoo starts to suspect that he must have found the ring.

"...'Yeol," he calls out hesitantly as he walks toward the other room. He stops in the doorway when he finds Sungyeol standing in the middle of the room with a little box in his hands. (A little box that seems to be holding all of Myungsoo's hopes and dreams for the future—for their future.)

Sungyeol looks up slowly, his eyes wide with shock. "Is... Is this what I think it is?"

Myungsoo can only nod. His throat feels too dry to get any words out. He hadn't really thought about what he would say after Sungyeol found the ring. He'd been too nervous thinking about the other's reaction.

"Did you—are you—" Sungyeol seems to be having trouble finishing his sentences. He looks back down at the box as he collects his thoughts. Myungsoo ventures a couple steps further into the room, trying to gauge his boyfriend's reaction. He doesn't seem particularly happy, but he doesn't seem upset either. "Y-you want to marry me," Sungyeol finally manages to ask. His voice is close to a whisper and full of disbelief.

Myungsoo walks closer to Sungyeol until he's right in front of him. Lifting Sungyeol's gaze up to meet his with a hand under his chin, Myungsoo musters up as much courage as he can before speaking. “I love you. So much. And I know it might sound crazy, but I think you’re it for me. I couldn’t imagine being with anyone else; loving anyone else. I only want—well, I want us to be together. Forever, as cheesy as it sounds. So…” He stares at Sungyeol expectantly. Maybe he should have got down on one knee.

The shock has finally worn off on Sungyeol. He looks down at the box again, his long fingers running across the black velvet before he pries it open. The ring inside is a simple silver band that, when he picks it up, he realizes has words engraved on the inside. "Forever and ever," Sungyeol reads the words out loud. He lets out a soft laugh as he holds the ring out to Myungsoo. "I think you're supposed to do the honors here."

"Really?" Myungsoo looks down at the ring and then back up at Sungyeol. It's not a yes outright, but it still means the same thing. He'd been hoping for this; for Sungyeol to want this too. And now that it's actually happened he can't even believe it. Sungyeol nods enthusiastically, his smile wide enough to show his gums. Myungsoo takes the ring and immediately goes to put it on Sungyeol's fingers, but he's stopped short.

"Do it the right way," Sungyeol says—demands, really, despite the cheery tone. Only when he points down at the floor does Myungsoo understand. He sinks down to one knee, a smile on his face to match Sungyeol's, and goes to slip the ring on again. And again Sungyeol stops him. "No, you have to ask the question first."

Myungsoo heaves an exasperated sigh, but listens to Sungyeol anyway. "Sungyeol." He pauses to clear his throat. He's nervous all over again. "Will you marry me?"

Sungyeol hardly waits for him to get the whole question out before he answers. "Yes," he grins. His smile gets impossibly bigger as Myungsoo slips the ring onto his finger. And then he's pulling the other man up to his feet so he can wrap his arms around him. Myungsoo can feel Sungyeol's heart pounding with how firmly their chests are pressed together. It's a little relieving to know that Sungyeol is just as excited (and just as nervous) as he is. His heart is beating just as fast and he smiles against Sungyeol’s lips when he tilts his head up to kiss him. This is the happiest moment of his life so far. And he can’t wait for the day he says “I do” to top it.