Chapter 5

It Was Always You

'Are you sure that you don't need help?'

You bit onto your pen cap as you ignored the person at the other end of the table.

'Jiji, you've been stuck at that question for the past twenty minutes.'

'I don't want to do this anymoree.' You pouted as you turned to him, to find him jerking his chair closer to you.

'You're going out later, so you have to at least do some work now.'

'I'm getting dizzy.'

'Then you should rest and not go out later.'

'I should rest now and then I'll be able to go out later.'

No matter how whiny you were getting, Hakyeon wasn't allowing any of it as he looked through your homework. But all you did was nod blankly when he started explaining to you. And he knew clearly that you weren't even bothering to try.

'Oppa, can I do this tomorrow? I'll pay full attention and dedicate ALL my time into this tomorrow! I promise!'

'Yesterday, you told me to make sure, by hook or by crook, that you finish at least one assignment today. And to not give in to anything you're going to say today.'

'You .'

Hakyeon tried to hide his smile as he took the empty jug from the table. 'I'll go get more water and some headache medicine for you.'

And the moment he left the room, you invaded his bed, hugging tightly onto his pillow while you retreated to the furthest end of it.

Which was how he found you when he came back.

'I should get paid more for babysiting you.'

'But you wouldn't get lonely if I'm here. And I'm not a baby.'

'Come here.'

'No!' And she says that she's not a baby.

'You said that you were feeling dizzy. Take the medicines first. Unless you want to faint when you're outside.' You reluctantly crawled towards him, as you downed the tablets after gulping down the water which he passed you.

'Rest first, I'll wake you up when Jaejin is here.' He saw you looking at him in slight shock, as you expected him to continue supervising you with your work. 'Tomorrow, you'll be mine. I'll make sure to haunt you as you do your work. Okay?'

Your slight giggles contrasted his serious gaze at you. 'Oppa you didn't have to phrase it that way. But okay.'

 

 

'Wasn't Jaejin oppa coming along too?' You asked as you found Jonghoon waiting by the door. 'And Minhwan oppa?'

'I'm here!'

'Jaejin has something to attend to, so he wouldn't make it.'

'Oh. Okay. So what are we getting for Hongki oppa?'

'Bag? Clothes? Shoes? We'll just see if there's anything which is suitable.'

 

 

'We'll look around and come back later! Thank you!' You smiled at the salesperson, as you placed the bag back down on its rack before turning to the other shops.

'Jaejin hyung?' With a slip of tongue, you were soon looking around, but found yourself immediately steered into another shop that you were going to skip.

'What where-'

'I mean that. Look.' Minhwan quickly pointed at a random bag on display while Jonghoon shot him a look for what he accidentally said.

'But if Jaejin oppa is here we can just ask him if-'

You felt his grip on your shoulder tightening as Jonghoon kept you from turning your head around. 'The texture looks good doesn't it? Maybe another colour will be better-' What am I even saying right now. Why are they shopping for her present here when we already said that we're coming?

'Oppa, this is Vans, we can't-'

'Oh what about the other one?' The both of them stuck close to you as they made sure that your line of sight stayed to the front, despite your attempts to turn around. She didn't see hyung right?

With a last glance to the back to make sure that they were gone, he loosened his grip on you as you found yourself getting pushed out of the shop. 'Let's just check out other places. I think the one at the end might have what we're looking for.'

 


 

You were heading to the library, when you skidded to a halt as a notebook appeared before you. But it had your name on it. And it obviously wasn't where it should be.

Instinctively, your hand flew to grasp onto your bag only to find that it was indeed still closed. 

Why is it- When you reached out to grab it, it was raised even higher, and now the person's face was revealed.

'That's mine.'

'I know.' It's him again, and unknowingly, you felt yourself tensing up as you stepped back a few steps, which got a glance from him.

She's fast.

'I might have dropped it-'

'No you didn't.' He saw your eyes widening as you looked at him. You knew for sure that you didn't leave that notebook lying around, but you didn't actually expect him to say what came next. 'I took it. Your phone too.'

You looked blankly at him as he did not remove his eyes from you. He's definitely not sunbae.

'Are you not going to ask me why?'

'No.'

'You-' He pursed his lips as he looked at you. You thought that was it, until you found him dragging you elsewhere.

'W-What are you doing? I have lessons to go to!'

'No you don't.'

'E-Excuse me, Taek-' You tried raising your voice as he pulled you around the corners. 'Uh- Stop.' But it fell on deaf ears. 'Don't you have lessons now?'

As you hesitantly followed the person before you, you noticed that the amount of people were decreasing as you headed to wherever he was leading you to.

Until you reached another smaller building next to the one which you came from. 'I-Isn't this place restricted?'

And with a few more turns and meanders, you found yourself at a bench facing a small garden towards the back of the building. How on earth did he find this place? Where is this place?

It wasn't hard to realize that the only people there was the both of you, and you found yourself on full alert as you glared at the person before you. 'I'm going to scream if you take one step closer.'

'Then scream. Nobody will be able to hear you.'

'I don't even know you.'

'You don't throw sticks at someone whom you don't know.'

'That was a mistake-'

'You still haven't asked me who I am.'

That's because I still haven't figure out if my gut feeling is right. 'You're not Taekwoon sunbae.'

'Bingo.' 

Taekwoon wouldn't have acted this way. He was reserved. And from that one time he spoke to you, you knew that the person before you wasn't him. And the way he looked at you, it was totally different. 

You could not help but to look downwards as you could feel the person before you staring at you intensely. And it was getting on your nerves. 

'Are you close to him?'

'Him?'

'The one who goes around with this body saying that he's Taekwoon.'

'I only bumped into him once before.'

'That's good. Since it means that I have a head-start.'

Head-start? 'What do you mean-'

'Sit. I won't kill you.'

'How would I know that you wouldn't kill me.' You flinched once he made contact with you, as he held onto your arm, tugging you towards the bench, this time his grip much gentler than when he was pulling you here. But it was still different as compared to the other.

'I wouldn't bring you here if I wanted to kill you.'

'Why not? There's nobody here. And you said that nobody will hear even if I screamed.'

'Are you hungry?' He asked as he took out a sandwich from his bag, and began munching on it.

'I just had lunch.' 

'I know. I saw.' And now that his attention shifted towards the food in his hands, you found yourself looking at him, scanning him as you noticed that you weren't as creeped out as you thought you would be. 

'Who are you?'

'I did save my number in your phone, didn't I?'

'Leo sunbae?' He shook his head. 'Leo?' And glared at you. Okay. He's older. How did you forget? 

You looked at him as he took his time to swallow his mouthful of sandwich, before answering you, clearly. 'Leo oppa.' 

Oppa? But- It's not like we're- 'Why?'

'Can I call you when I need help? It's shortcut number 1.'

'What is?'

'My number on your phone.'

You didn't know what was going on. Why you were actually sitting opposite someone who isn't the type that you'll hang out with. When you didn't even know him. And your conversations were starting to get hard to keep track of. 

'You have a tendency to make people like you.' The topic changed again, and you went along with it.

'Nobody ever told me that.'

'That's a really bad thing.'

'Why?'

'Many guys will be around you.'

How is that- I don't see the link between anything he's trying to say- 

'Which is what brought me to you then again.'

'Why did you take my phone?'

'I'm curious about you.'

'And you brought me here?'

'I was trying to decide if you were straightforward but I guess you are.'

'I'm- Not.'

'Didn't someone teach you not to talk or follow strangers though?'

'You're not a stranger. I threw my sticks at you. Accidentally.'

'How would you have known that I didn't bring you here to kill you for doing that?'

'You said you won't kill me and made me sit here.'

'I'll get confused talking to you.' For the first time, you found yourself smiling when you heard how his tone was softening as compared to the very start. And you could tell that he was letting his guard down, and so were you. 

'You're not the only one confused.'

'Jieun-ah.' That was the very first time you heard your name from him, which didn't felt out of place, surprisingly. 'I might get annoyed if you call me his name. Though you probably would be the last person to get it wrong.' The sides of his lips tilted up slightly as he patted your head twice, before standing up, and left. Just like that. 

Did he just smile? That was his smile right?

/ Weren't you supposed to scare her away? Getting friendly with her is was never on your list... She really does have the tendency for people to like her.

/ But really, what was that?

/ Did I actually talk that much with her just now?

/ I still don't know who he is.

/ Wait, and how did I even know of that place?

 

 

For the rest of the day, he was the only person on your mind throughout lessons, even after you were called out a few times for zoning out in class. 

And once you reached home, you unknowingly found yourself staring at a page for hours.

... Dissociative identity disorder is characterized by the presence of two or more distinct or split identities or personality states that continually have power over the person's behaviour. With dissociative identity disorder, there are also highly distinct memory variations, which fluctuate with the person's split personality. ... an inability to recall key personal information that is too far-reaching to be explained as mere forgetfulness. ...

The different identities have their own age... has his or her own postures, gestures, and distinct way of talking... As each personality reveals itself and controls the individuals' behavior and thoughts, it's called 'switching'. Switching can take seconds to minutes to days. ...

So Taekwoon sunbae asked me when I bumped into him the other day, because it wasn't him. And it was Taekwoon in the morning but Leo in the afternoon. 

Is this why Hakyeon oppa told me to stay away from Taekwoon sunbae? And Jonghoon oppa too? Or is there more to this that I don't actually know?

What happened?

 


 

'Are you okay?'

'Mmhmm.' You smiled, but he could tell that you were lying.

Things were definitely not okay after you spent 1 hour in the staff room when you said that you'll only take 20 minutes. And when you came out with swollen eyes. 

You found his arm over your shoulder as he pulled you closer to him, giving you light squeezes now and then. 

'The teacher was being unreasonable.'

'Is it about your grades?'

'He is always unreasonable.' 

'Jiji, do you want to get food? You've been having cravings recently, weren't you?'

'But there's work to do.'

Hakyeon looked at you, body slumped as you frowned, comparable to a zombie. 

Stress from studies has taken a toll on you, and he knew that your teachers weren't exactly being the most helpful, accusing you for things that you didn't do, when in fact you did put in much more effort. It's just that they didn't know the full picture. And whenever you tried explaining, they would misunderstand and tweak it against you. 

'Do you want to come over to my place? You can sleep over tonight if you want.'

You shook your head as you looked up at him. 'I think I'll go home and rest. Oppa, you'll come tomorrow morning right?'

'Of course.'

 

 

You had been staring at your phone ever since you woke up from a three hours nap once you got home, with absolutely nothing done. 

And the screen had been displaying the ten numbers for ages. 

Can I call him when I need help too?

But what if its Taekwoon sunbae who answers? He doesn't know what Leo did right? Like the conversation that we had. 

Your finger lingered over the '1' button, and as you snapped your eyes shut, you clicked onto it.

It rang. Once, twice.

And you stayed quiet as you waited for the other end to speak first after hearing a soft click. 

'Hello?'

 


 

[A/N] Updated!!

Time check: 4.15am and my laptop is running out of battery. Hahahahah.

So much for holidays = more time >< But on the bright side, I've succeeded in updating this within a month! (okay who am I kidding. I'm two days late. hahahaha)

Thank you so much for the comments and subscribes, and do keep them coming in!! :D

And I hope that this chapter was alright!

Thank you!

<3

 

p.s. I still can't believe that I saw VIXX in real life omg (THEY'RE REALL) (okay i shud calm down) (breathes) (omg)