Chapter 16

It Was Always You

'Where did y-' Hakyeon stopped before any other words could leave his mouth, noticing your swollen eyes once you entered the room.

'Oppa.' You nodded once to acknowledge his presence, before heading straight to your bed and burrowing your head into your pillow, your tears flooding out again as the conversation which you overheard replayed in your head.

How is it even possible for there to be such evil people that made him go through so much at such a young age-

'Jiji?' Hakyeon asked cautiously, getting worried when he saw that you made no move to leave your bed.

But the moment you felt the corner of your bed dip down slightly, you sat up and snapped at him. 'You're another evil person too!'

Me?

'Sunbae had enough when he was young, and if his one and only friend distanced himself from him, do you think it wouldn't have worsened his condition?'

'Ji-'

'For what great reason was it that you had to leave him alone? It better not be a pesky one or else I'm never going to see you again!'

That was enough to keep Hakyeon's mouth shut as he silentely looked at you. It really is a pesky reason- Probably the peskiest reason to ruin a friendship over. And he sighed.

Not getting any justifications or excuses from the male, you threw him another glare before hiding beneath your sheets again. 

And only when you weren't staring at him with raging eyes, could Hakyeon speak up again. 'Jieun-ah, do you want me to-'

'I don't want to hear samchon!'

'Okay, okay. Do you want me to stay?'

He waited for a few seconds for your answer, but he saw that you made no form of movement as you disregarded him. She likes him alright. To be this shaken after hearing about it. 

'Ji, I'll go first okay? Call me if you need anything.'







Right when Taekwoon finally decided to ring the bell, the door opened before him, startling him slightly when he saw who it was that greeted him.

And Hakyeon can't say that he wasn't surprised.

'What are you doing?' Hakyeon asked as he held the door open, to which Taekwoon returned with a silent look as he made no move to enter. 'Before I change my mind. Me being dumb is enough. Can the both of you not end up like me?'


 

 

 

You could hear what Hakyeon said by the door, and knew who it was when your bed sank down again. And you waited for him to start speaking while silence ensued for a good few minutes. 

Is it not Taekwoon? It has to be. Since he's not speaking. It's not like Hakyeon oppa dumped a package on my bed. 

Having had enough, and with your curiosity getting to you, you lifted the blanket off you only to make eye contact with him. 'You left without passing your uncle his lunch.'

At that, you threw a glare at him through your teary eyes.

What's with her? She left crying, and now she's angry with me?

'Hakyeon let me in.' 

Glare.

'Did you have lunch?'

Glare.

Taekwoon sighed. 'Jieun-ah.'

This time, you cried as you plunged into his arms. And now she's bawling again. You heard a slight chuckle from him and cried even harder.

Why is he trying so hard to be okay?

He didn’t want you to find out about what happened to him. He wasn’t planning to let you find out. Ever. Knowing how you would react. And he wasn’t wrong the slightest.

'Are you sleeping better lately?' He asked, once he felt your sniffing come to a stop as you kept your arms wrapped tightly around him, your face hidden in the front of his shirt. 

However, you kept your mouth sealed as you refused to look at him, afraid that you’ll start crying again once you see him.

'Jieun-ah, I'm okay, so why are you being like this?'

It's not fair. It's just not fair. 

Another sigh was heard from Taekwoon and you felt his hand rubbing your back gently. 

But it wasn't long before he tried getting you to look at him again. 

'Yoon Jieun.' Taekwoon held your face gently as he made you look at him, but your eyes darted elsewhere. 'I'm okay being like this. So you should stop before it's too late.'

Hearing that, you could not help but to look back, your eyes tearing up again. 'It's not okay for you to be okay with it.'

'I can deal with myself. But I don't want to hurt you anymore.’

'But you're the one who's hurting. You're hurting yourself.'

'I told you that if you get treated, I'll do something about myself too right?' 

That too, successfully got your attention as you quickly wiped your tears off with the sleeve of your shirt. 'Are you sure?'

'I promise.'


 






'Are you free today?' Was the first thing that you heard once you opened the door. 'It's the last day of the holidays, you've finished your work right?'

To think that he was actually speaking up more than you. You were slightly taken aback. 

But you couldn't help it, seeing a cheery and talkative Taekwoon by your doorstep without warning was probably something that wouldn't even dare to appear in your dreams. So you started to feel insecure instead.

'Yoon Jieun?'

'Y-Yeah, I'm done.'

'Would you like to spare me some time then?'

'Sure.'






You were going to get a headache soon by trying to coming up with every single possible reason behind Taekwoon's sudden behaviour as you looked at your hand in his. 'Sunbae-'

'Until when are you going to call me that?'

H-Huh? This can't be a new personality right? But I'm certain he's Taekwoon sunbae. But he's like a different Taekwoon. Or is this new personality really just a 'different Taekwoon'?

'You're zoning out a lot today. And since when were you this quiet?' 

You pursed your lips and leaned back slightly when he eyed you closely, only to back away with a slight chuckle soon after. Since when were you this not-quiet?

'Taekwoon su-'

'Oppa. If it's that hard for you to keep calling me that, just do it for today.' Taekwoon gulped slightly when he unconsciously added the last part. Keep it subtle, she isn't supposed to catch on.



 

 


'Welcome~' Hongbin looked up from the counter when he heard the light jingle of the bell from the entrance, and grinned when he saw Taekwoon pulling you into the cafe, your hand held tightly in his. Finally, took him long enough.

'Get a seat first, I'll do the ordering.' He gave you a light pat on your shoulder and that was when you noticed that it was the first time his hand left yours ever since you stepped out of the house. 

'Oh Taekwoon hyung~' Hongbin teased the older male as he took a look at the menu. 

'Get me the usual, and two ice cream.' 

'With the art?'

'As you deem fit.'

'Hearts?'

Hongbin noticed a smile making its way up on Taekwoon's face for a brief second before he replaced it with his usual poker face again. 'No, she doesn't know that it's me.'

 

 

'Oh!' Taekwoon could not hide his grin when he saw how your face lit up when you noticed the two hearts in the cup of mocha before you. 'He did it again.'

'What do you mean?' He asked, watching as you excitedly took out your phone for a quick picture. 

'The barista has been doing the art for my cup, I'm not sure why though?'

'Just for you?'

'Mhmm. Seyoung called him my secret latte admirer.' 

'The barista?'

'I don't think it's him- It seems to be someone else.'

'You do notice that you're talking about your secret admirer when I'm right in front of you right?' Taekwoon added, and saw how you immediately blushed as you quickly stirred away the floating hearts and let your hair fall to the front to cover part of your face. 

'You started asking first!' 

'You pointed it out first.' The way you whined as you dug your head even lower had him grinning from ear to ear as he felt his heart racing while he watched you. It was the first time he could be this carefree with you, and he was glad that he made this decision. Even if it meant that it was also the last time. 

You refused to say anything else for the rest of the time as your line of sight stuck to the cup before you, not wanting to further embarrass yourself. 

Until you felt his hand reach out to wipe the slight foam by your lips, and you froze when you saw the bright smile on his face up close as he leaned in close to you. 

'Look at you, are you a kid?'

You've been wanting to ask him 'Why?' since the very start of the date. But you took your all to resist it. You could already get an inkling as to why he was behaving this way. And you hate to admit it, but your selfish self wanted to live with this while it lasted. 

'Do you want me to take a picture for the both of you?' Hongbin's voice interrupted your train of thoughts and you turned to look at the barista, not noticing the glare that Taekwoon was shooting him. 'Do pass me your phone.' Hongbin grinned as he grabbed Taekwoon's off the table and was soon in position, waiting for you. 

'Hyung why don't you sit next to Jieun-ssi? The table in between looks quite out of place.' And with a roll of his eyes, Taekwoon complied. But of course, Hongbin was not satisfied. 'Can the both of you sit closer?'

You were starting to find the actions of this barista really weird. Wait. Did he call Taekwoon, hyung? Does it mean- You quickly turned around, but right at that moment, you felt Taekwoon's arm wind gently around your waist as he scooted closer to you for the picture and you immediately turned back to look at the front.

'Now, that's much better. 3, 2, 1!' 

 

 

After a short trip round the park, without the both of you talking much, the sky has gradually darkened and the both of you were soon at your place. 

'Wait a minute.' Taekwoon watched as you motioned for him to stay by the door, before you started fumbling about the place for first a cookie jar, and then a paper bag. 

'Why are you giving me this?' He eyed the bag that was soon placed in his hands. 

'Umma came over the other day. She asked me to pass this to you.'

'To me?'

'She found out that you're the reason behind why my cookie jars are depleting at an exponential rate.'

Taekwoon kept silent for a moment as he did not recall actually eating it at your place previously, and concluded that it was probably Leo. But he still accepted it nonetheless. It heartened him, whenever you refered to them both as the same person, whenever you treated him like a normal person. 

'Thank you. I'll go first then?' He asked, but his feet remained rooted to the ground as he still had something else to say. ‘You’re taking good care of yourself now right?’ 

You looked up at him as he patted your head gently, smiling back at you. ‘I returned the pills to samchon already.’

Yeah I heard. ‘That’s great.’

That means you have to keep your promise too. You stared silently at his face, imprinting the moment in your head. Who knows when I would hear from him next. Knowing him, it wouldn’t be a surprise that I might not ever see him again.

Seeing that you had your lips sealed shut, Taekwoon took it as a sign for him to leave as he turned to get his shoes, only to freeze when he felt your hand tugging onto his right when he was about to step out of your door. And he quickly mustered a smile before looking back at you. 

'Sunbae.'

'I thought I told y-'

But the moment he locked eyes with you, he regretted it. But it wasn't until he heard what you said, did he get stunned in place. 'When are you leaving?'

How did she- I thought I tried to cover it up-

'Tomorrow?' You prompted again, seeing that the smile was no longer on his face as he stared back at you with his usual straight face.

And he refused to reply. 

'Well, I kept my side of the promise. See you soon, Taekwoon sunbae.’

Just minutes ago he was determined to get out of your house as soon as possible, knowing that if he didn't, he wasn't going to leave, ever.

And now it was too late.

You weren't stopping him, but he couldn't find the energy in him to even move his legs.

And before he knew it, the door closed before him.

‘See you soon.’ Taekwoon’s heart clenched. The last time you said that to him, it took him 12 years before he found you again.

Another 12 more years- He didn’t even want to consider that possibility.



 




It took merely two rings before the call was answered. And both parties remained silent for a good few seconds before Taekwoon broke the silence.

‘Hakyeon-ah.’

‘Mm.’

'She probably wouldn't be able to sleep tonight. And she doesn't have her pills with her anymore.'

So he’s leaving. ‘Are you sure about this?’ He was worried, for Taekwoon. Now that he’s leaving for good, Hakyeon couldn’t even steal glances to make sure that he’s fine anymore.

‘Mm. It’ll work out.’

'Stay safe, Jung Taekwoon.'

He couldn't remember the last time he heard Taekwoon chuckle so light heartedly, and he could not help but to feel a stab to his heart.


 


 

[A/N] YAY UPDATE!!! I'm really sorry to keep you guys waiting for so long but here's the long overdue update!!!

So much has happened since the last update omg (it's been nearly half a year omg I'm really really sorry for the wait) and I'm starting uni soon AHHHHH

Anyways, hope that this chapter is fine and thank you guys so much for the comments and subscribes!

And AHHHHHHHHx2 Can't wait to see VIXX on the 26th OMG SHOOKT

<3