Chapter 11

It Was Always You


'O-Oppa...'

You gasped as you tried to look at him through your tear-filled eyes, and he quickly knelt down on the ground, pulling you into him. 

'I'm so sorry that I'm late... Shhh, it's okay Jieun-ah...'

But all that came from you were sniffles and coughs as you tried hard to calm yourself, your arms clinging tightly around his neck.

'It's okay, everything's fine now hmm? Don't worry...' Hakyeon whispered softly as he hugged you closer to him. 'Shhh... It's alright now...'




 



'Are you feeling better?' Hakyeon asked as he felt your forehead gently, after refilling your mug with warm water and placing it by your bed.

'Why would a-anyone...'

'Don't worry, it's not your fault hmm?' He linked his hand through yours when he saw you reaching for him. 'I'll stay with you tonight.'

'What about the lights...'

'I'll leave it on. Do you need to take your medicine?'

You looked up at him, squeezing onto his hand tightly, and he knew immediately what you were worrying about. It was the same as always. 

'Give me a moment, I'll call hyung to check.'

 




'He say it'll be unlikely for you to get nightmares with it.' Hakyeon said as he popped open the bottle and took out two pills, which you quickly swallowed, before pulling him back onto your bed.

'O-Oppa, how did you know that I was there?'

'Someone told me that they saw you heading to the old buildings and found it strange.'

'Who?'

'One of those who takes the same course as me. I don't think you know any of them. Now, go to sleep hmm?' You felt Hakyeon run his hand gently through your hair, before pulling your blankets up close to you. 

'Okay...'

It can't be Taekwoon sunbae right? So it's really someone who I don't know? ...



 





He couldn't shake the thought off his mind that something bad happened to you because of him. Perhaps it was immature for the other party to do so, but it was still true that he harmed you, be it indirectly.

He knew that you weren't listening to him, instead hanging out with the other side of him even more often than before. But he couldn't get himself to tell you face-to-face to leave anymore. Especially when it took him so much energy simply to talk to you that one time, and when it was clear to him that you had no thoughts of avoiding him. 

I shouldn't have tried getting closer to her in the first place...

His self-blaming was put to a halt as he finally saw you entering the school compounds, with Hakyeon closer to you than usual.

She's okay...



 




'It's because of you isn't it?'

After finding out that you were involved with Leo, they've been talking to each other again. Though it was starkly different from how it used to be in the past.

'You're also partly responsible for it.' Taekwoon said indifferently as he looked at the lone tree a distance away. It was disturbing him that they had to talk behind the school buildings at a secluded area, of which Hakyeon suggested to meet. 

'I told you to leave her alone.'

'You know that I tried. And I can't control anything when it's not me.'

'Then why did you go to her in the first place?'

'You could have at least forged a response if you were going to steal all her letters. Or you could have just told her from the start and stop this stealthy thing you've been doing. And this wouldn't have happened.'

'That's a different thin-' Hakyeon was interrupted by his phone ringing and immediately stopped when he saw the Caller ID. 'Please. Leave her alone.' And with that, Taekwoon was left alone.

He shuddered when a cold breeze blew, that lone tree shaking gently as a few stray leaves were blown away in the wind.

Just then a squirrel scrummaged past the field of untamed grass and stopped at the foot of the trunk for a mere second before rushing up and disappearing into the branches.

But she was the one who came to me first... Even back then...


 




You looked up when practice suddenly came to a stop, to see the band looking at the door. Oh no...

'I'm so sorry, I'll be back quickly.' You quickly bowed to the rest of them before anyone could say anything, and dragged him out of the room.

'Oppa!' You threw a glare at him as he looked down at you smugly, his arms crossed.

'I'm staying here.'

'Leo-'

'I don't know how much time I have so I'm going to stay here because it's the only way I can see you. Did you not realize when was the last time I came out?'

That was only three days ago...

'And I'm already taking my all to not drag you out of that male-filled room.'

'But-'

'Unless you want me to go off killing someone while you're not in sight-'

'Stay.' He just have to use that line, doesn't he?

You saw a smirk, before he patted your head gently. 'Good girl.'


 



'We'll continue with practice, but just so you know, I won't tolerate any distractions.' Hongki said once you entered behind Leo, with the latter part directed at him. On the other hand, he simply shrugged as he settled down on the empty chair, not forgetting to throw you a cheesy smile.

Thankfully, practice went by quite peacefully, to the extent that you nearly forgot that he was in the same room. Until someone got too close to you. 

'No wait, the rhythm is wrong.' You could vaguely make out the sound of Leo clicking his tongue impatiently, but you quickly focused your attention back at Minhwan.

'It's zz zz tak. Your rolling should be shorter.' The moment Minhwan's hand came into contact with yours, a blur of white came flying across the room, and a ball of crumpled paper landed right next to the drumset on the floor.


'Is it like this?' You tried again, biting onto your lip as you hoped to get their attention back to you, but to no avail. The room was thick with tension as the boys engaged in a glaring battle. And Leo just had to break the silence.

'Don't touch her.'

'That's it.' Jonghoon placed down his guitar not so lightly, and stared straight at Leo, sending a chill down your spine. You've never heard such a tone before, and you would have been better off to never heard it from him. 'Jieun being part of the band is one thing. But you- you. Out.'

'I-I'm so sorry oppa, I'll talk to him.' You bowed your head deeply before quickly pulling him out with you. But you didn't notice that someone else followed the both of you out.

'Jieun, I think it'll be better for you to stop coming for practice these few weeks hmm?' You looked at Jaejin, your mouth hanging open slightly. 

There were only three people who knew how you felt towards the band. That it was a source of escape from reality for you, that it was close to your only form of enjoyment. And Jaejin was one of them. 

To hear that from him, you were horrified, to the extent that you didn't know what to say. 'But oppa-'

'I know how you feel Jieun-ah, but it's just-'

'O-Okay.'

'I'll call you later hmm?'

'Mm.'

Without looking back at him, you quickly headed off, only to be followed by Leo who was humming as he walked beside you. 'Leo, the oppas allowed you to stay in there, but couldn't you have controlled yourself a little?'

'Okay~' And he obviously seemed too happy that he got you out of the practice room.

It was always like this. Just that morning, you saw him and he simply walked past you as if you didn't exist.

But whenever and wherever he came out, he'll start clinging onto you.

It'll be fine. He's just like this whenever there's too many guys. It was part of our deal anyways. 'Where are we going?'

'Date.'

'Oppa I have homework to do.' And you just got me unwillingly chased out of practice, indefinitely. 

'That's why we're going on a date. At your house.'

I never should have brought him here the last time. Now he thinks its his house too.



 


'Now what are you going to do?'

'Go do your work.' He shooed you towards your study table, while he grinned and plopped onto your bed.

'While you...?'

'Watch you from your bed.'

'Watch me?'

'You have to study, don't you?'

Is he actually being considerate right now? Or does he actually feel bad about what he did just now? But his face doesn't look like he's guilty about anything...

Just when you finally stopped coming up with a thousand and one reasons as to what his ulterior motive is, you heard the door click open and you froze.

Your house was small to begin with, and when you quickly stood up, it was no surprise that Leo reached the door faster than you.

And the latter's eyes immediately turned bloodshot when this unknown guy invited himself into your house. And his immediate analysis told him that he obviously has your house key, and it probably isn't the first time he came over so casually.

And Leo went for his collar.

'Leo! Stop!' You frantically grabbed onto his arm, trying to pull him away but it was of no use. 'He's my samchon!'

When Leo registered that it made even lesser sense, you could see his grip growing tighter as his veins were already popping out of his forearm. 

'Oppa don't do this, he's really my samchon.' Your voice softened as you squeezed onto his arm, all the while your uncle watched the both of you silently.

'Don't lie! He doesn't even look that much older than me!'

'Can you remove your hands first? Please? Oppa?' What am I even doing- in front of samchon... This isn't a good day. 

When Leo saw tears welling up in your eyes, he unconsciously felt his grip loosening, as his hands fell back to his side. Before he could say anything to you, however, your uncle finally spoke. 

'Thank you. I really am her uncle. I can show you our family certificates if you want to?'

You could tell that Leo was still skeptical, but now wasn't the time to care about that anymore. You probably have to find out a way to explain to your uncle and hope that it doesn't get to your parents.

'Samchon, this is my friend, Leo-'

'Boyfriend. Without a space in between.' Leo emphasised as he pulled you closer by the waist, to which you frantically smacked his arm away. Did nobody teach this guy common sense?

'Friend. Just friend.' Leo glared at you and you glared back, mouthing a 'later' at him. 'So samchon, what are you doing here?'

'I heard from Hakyeon-'

. Leo will probably flip if he heard that someone did something to me, AND that Hakyeon oppa stayed over. 'About that, can we talk about it another day?' You whispered, pulling him further away from Leo, but he caught on nonetheless.

'What? What do you have to talk to him about? Why can't I hear?'

Samchon is making it hard for me to hide it from Leo and Leo is making it hard for me to hide it from uncle. Can they not do this to me?

'Nothing, it's nothing.' It was easy to tell that your uncle was displeased with the behaviour of the male that he assumed to be your boyfriend. Or at least, courting you.

Silence ensued as the both of them stared at each other while you awkwardly stood between them.

And unfortunately, your uncle decided to break the silence with not the most pleasant topic. 'Are you not leaving?'

'Are YOU not leaving?' You glared at Leo as you tugged onto his hand, but he did not even spare you a glance. Does he not have manners either?!

'As you can see, I just came.'

'I came not long before you either!'

'But you came before me.'

They should really stop triggering each other...

You blinked when you realised that it has once again fell silent, and noticed that the both of them has turned to you to get a reaction, both expecting you to take their side.

Oh no... This is bad...

'Erm... I'm meeting Seyoung in about 10 minutes... So the both of you would have to leave...' To which Leo smirked, before gesturing at the door.

'In that case, you can leave first, Jieun's sangchum.'

'Samchon, I'll call you back!' You shouted as you waved him goodbye, just before hearing the door shut in front of you. 



'Call him back?! I said no guys other than the ban-' You found yourself backed into the wall, as his tone turned for the worse again. 

'Oppa that's enough for today.'

'What do you mean by that? What did I even do that you're treating me like this? And you didn't even take my side?' 

You snapped your eyes shut as you breathed in deeply, before looking at his bloodshot eyes. 'I-I'm just tired. I'm really sorry oppa.'

Again, whenever he saw you this vulnerable, he could not comprehend how was it that he could no longer be mean to you. It wasn't like him, and to a certain extent, it scared him. 

'We'll talk about it another day.' 

And with that, the door slammed shut, and you found your legs giving way as you slumped onto your bed. 

 

For the next few moments, you were simply staring into blank space as you tried to gather your thoughts, until you finally decided to check your phone. Which was spammed with messages and missed calls. 

 

[Missed Calls]
2 Minhyuk Samchon
3 Hakyeonie Oppa
2 Jaejin Oppa

 

Jaejin Oppa ---

[17:03] I'm sorry for earlier. I heard about it from Hakyeon hyung, you sure you're okay? Call me back.

Minhyuk Samchon ---

[17:32] I'm coming over for a slight while. 

[17:58] Call me back. 

 


You thought back to all the trouble you've been causing everyone now that you were trying to help Taekwoon. If you never cared about him in the first place, Leo would just ignore everyone, and you didn't have to worry about him.

But if you left him alone, Taekwoon would have continued suffering.

I'm doing the right thing, am I?

 


 

[A/N] Hello! With this late update, unfortunately I'm going to put all my ongoing fics on a semi-hiatus... I'll still try to work on them on my free time but my national exams are this year and I really have to spend more time on my studies for the time being.

I hope that I'll still be able to find some time now and then to update this but no promises! ><

Meanwhile, I hope that this chapter wasn't too disappointing!

And thank you for all your support so far!

Thank you! 

<3