Chapter 2

It Was Always You

He waited impatiently outside your test venue, tapping his feet repeatedly as he checked the time again. She should be done by now? 

Right then, the door opened, and the teacher walked out with a stack of papers in his hands, not even glancing at the person by the door. 

And just as he contemplated whether or not to go in to find you, people started streaming out of the room. 

'I am certain I'll fail it' ... 'That was just horrible.' ... 'First test of the year and what??' ... 'Did we actually just take that paper?'...

He was getting increasingly worried as he heard all the negative comments made, and when every single one coming out seemed extremely upset.  

But when he saw you humming as you exited the room, even going past him without even noticing, he began to have second thoughts.

'Oh! You've been waiting?' You were pulled back by your arm, and turned to saw Hakyeon staring at you while you grinned.

Do I ask, or do I not? 'I just reached.'

'Oppa, I need help with something.' You chirped as it was now you who was pulling him along as you headed towards your locker. 

'Jiji.'

'Yeah?'

'How was it?'

'You mean the test?' He nodded. 'It wasn't that bad.' Hearing that, he was just about to finally be able to heave a sigh of relief, until you added. 'Since I'm going to fail it either way.' 

Hakyeon did not remove his eyes from you as he watched you unlock your locker, and opened your bag, unsure if you were feigning it or not. If it bothered you so much that you went a little insane, or if you were genuinely unaffected. 

'I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know how to do it if I studied for it anyway. Hakyeon oppa can you help me with this?' You asked as you placed your notes in his hands for him to put it on the shelf at the top, where your things have piled up too high for you to reach. 'Oh and I need the green coursebook. Yeah that one.' You attempted to point at it as you stood on your tiptoes, before he retrieved it for you. 

Then it struck him. 'You didn't study?'

'Mmhmm.'

'Mmhmm as in you didn't study, or mmhmm you did study?'

'The first one.' 

'Why didn't you study? Weren't you with Seyoung?'

'That's exactly the point. I can't study with her.' And he sighed as he knocked your head lightly. 

'I don't get why you girls have so much to talk about.'

'It's not me! It was entirely her!' You pouted as Hakyeon shook his head in disapproval. 'You're too strict!' 

'Me, strict?' 

'I study better alone!' 

He knew that. Whenever he would study with you, you would be talking to yourself even if he didn't want to respond to you. 

And then you'll end up playing with his homework and hair and his cheeks. Which he actually didn't mind at all. 



 


'Who is it?' You asked, again, staring at the person before you. 

You tried asking politely, then a little more firmly, then with a slight pout, and maybe a low level of your puppy eyes, and it was heading towards the passive-aggressive level. 

Why weren't you more alert just now when any one came in or did anything weird? Then you would've seen him! 

'There isn't anyone, Jieun-ssi. I just saw that you didn't seem like you had an umbrella with you.' 

That doesn't even make sense! Does he have eyes that can see through my bag and know that I didn't bring an umbrella? 

'Can't you just tell me? Pretty please? I promise I won't tell anyone!' The barista shook his head again. 

'I told you that there isn't anyone. We're just providing a service to our customers.' 

'In that case,' You eyed the umbrella held out in his hands, 'I'm not going to take it.' 

And he wasn't expecting that. 'You can't not take it.' 

You looked at his nametag, and then back at him. 'Hongbin-ssi. I might just complain to your manager that you're not making sense. And that you're stopping me from leaving. Hmm, is that counted as harrassment too?' 

'But then how are you going to go back?' 

'It's okay, the rain isn't that heavy.' Who were you even kidding, when it was pouring outside, and you could even hear it from inside the cafe. 

'But-' Hyung's going to kill me if she actually- You internally cheered when you saw him starting to get fidgety, and was expecting him to give in soon. As long as you just continued to pester him for a little while longe-

'Jiji?' 

You snapped your head around and saw Hakyeon standing before you, with his hood over his head. 

'Oppa? Why are you-' 

'You didn't bring an umbrella did you?' You blinked as he placed his cap on your head and pulled you towards the exit, while you turned back to glance at the barista for the last time. 

'I did-' He nodded as he helped you with he windbreaker he brought along, 'not.' 

'I'm not surprised.' You pouted as he straightened back up and opened the umbrella. 

'You came from home?' 

'Yeah.' He held you by your shoulders closely next to him, while you held onto his arm too for support. 

'You didn't have to!' 

'Am I supposed to leave you here alone knowing that you can't get home then?' It was getting harder as the sound of the rain drops covered your voices. 

'Oppa, put it more to your side, your jacket's getting drenched.' You attempted to tilt the umbrella over to his side, but he placed your hand back down. 

'The water doesn't seep through.' 

'But still-' 

'Look in front. Or else you'll trip.' 


 




Which lecture theatre was it again? 6? 

After more or less confirming that his first lesson that day was supposed to be there, which coincidentally coincided with your free period, you hurried over to see if you could find him. 

He wasn't waiting for you outside your house that morning like usual, and when you called him, he didn't pick up. And you were starting to get worried. 

Peeking in from the door, you scanned through the seats which were mostly occupied, since lessons were going to start soon. But after scanning through thrice, with you making sure to look closely at each and every one of them, you still couldn't find him. 

He isn't here? 

But I don't know anyone to just go up to them to ask them- And they're all older than me... 

And as the bell rang, you quickly turned around, only to bump into someone again. 

'O-Oh, I'm sorry.' 

'Are you okay?' You looked up and froze slightly when you saw him before you, and quickly came back to your senses. 

'Yeap.' 

You felt a little self-conscious when he scanned you up and down. 'Sure?' 

'I'm okay. Really!' Taekwoon looked at you as you waved your hands before you. 'It wasn't even as hard as the previous time. Hehe.' 

Previous time?

'I'll go first then!' 

What previous time? 

He could see the professor heading down the hall from the other end. But he found himself holding onto your wrist, which caused you to turn back to him. 

'What previous time?' 

'It wasn't anything!' Aish! You shouldn't even have mentioned it! Now you just caused a stranger to have a bad impression of you being so petty about a slight bump! But his grip did not loosen. 'I bumped into sunbae the other day. It wasn't much actually. Just a slight bump 'cos I wasn't looking.' 

'When?' 

You looked at him, where you could not tell anything from his expressions, or lack there of. 'Last week?' 

'Day?' 

He watched as you etched your eyebrows. Last week. It can't be- 'I think it was Tuesday?' 

'Where?' 

'At the lockers?' From the corner of his eyes, the professor was reaching, as you looked at him curiously. 

'I'm sorry.' He immediately let go of your wrist, heading back into the lecture theatre. 

'Wait!' He stopped. 'Sunbae, did you see Hakyeon oppa around today?' 

With a shook of his head, not even turning to look at you, he closed the door behind him. 

The last time someone asked him about Hakyeon, especially that nonchalantly? He couldn't even remember. 





'Oppa Hakyeonie Oppa Oppa?' You chirped as you unlocked his door, placing your bag down on couch. 'Oppa?' 

You did not bother to knock as you opened his room door, and panicked when you found him lying in bed. Pale and coughing. And with a high fever. 

'Oppa?' 

'Ji?' 

'Look at you. So sick that you couldn't even say 'Ji' twice.' You nagged as you wiped off the beads of sweat on his forehead. 

'Ji.' 

'Now that's more like it.' You grinned as you saw the sides of his lips tilt up ever so slightly, before he burst into a coughing fit again. 'It's because of the rain isn't it?' 

More coughing. But he still dared to shake his head. 

'You could have dropped me a text.' 

He answered. Or at least attempted to. But you figured out what he wanted to say when you heard 'didn't' and 'worry'.

'I'm even more worried when you just disappeared without a trace. I even went to look for you.'

His mouth opened again, but you quickly stopped him. 

'Shh. Quiet. Or else you wouldn't get better. You have to get better or else there's no one to for me to bully.' 

And you earned a hard knock on your head, which probably used up all of his remaining energy. 

'Oppa!' You pouted as you hit him lightly. 

'You need to get better soon okay? Or else I'll feel really guilty.' Hakyeon mirrored your frown as you ran your fingers through his hair. 'Wait here.' 





'Hyung, she isn't here today.' Yeah, I know. 

Taekwoon sat down opposite Hongbin as he stared at his own cup of latte. The same as which you always ordered. 

'She's been really bent on finding out these days too.'

'Don't ever tell her. Just say that it's randomly given out.' 

'Hyung, you know that doesn't make sense.' 

'She can't ever find out.'

'Not even if he threatens to go back under the pouring rain without an umbrella?' And Taekwoon finally looked up. 'She even said that she's going to sue me for harrassment.'

'Let's stop for now.' 

'But why? Then why did you start it in the first place?' 

I didn't know that she'll see him. I didn't know that it would lead to this. 'You can't say it's me. You don't know me.' 

'Taekwoon hyung?' 

'You don't know anyone who looks like me, or who's called Taekwoon, Jung Taekwoon.' 

'Hyung, are you okay? You're acting really weird.' Hongbin could tell that Taekwoon was serious. He always meant what he said. And this time wasn't an exception either. 

Weird. That word always got to him. 

Weird? Not just really weird. I am more than that. 

 


 

[A/N] Here's the second chapter!

Okay I was really pleasantly surprised to see that there's already so many subscribers when I only posted the first chapter. Thank you all so much hehehe <3 And also for the comments too!

Updates might not be very frequent/consistent, but for now I'll try to update this at least once per month! 

Comment and subscribe? Hehe xD

Thank you!!

<3