Chapter 1

It Was Always You

I have 5 minutes. 

You quickly rushed to your lockers before the end of lunch break. You had forgotten to take part of your notes that morning, and the period right after break needed it. Especially when the teacher was an annoying one.  

Please let it be here, please. 

You heaved a sigh of relief as you took it out, double checking through your books to make sure that you did not forget anything else. At the same time closing the locker door behind you. 

So much for running right after lun- 

And just when you looked up, your books met the ground as someone knocked into you, hard. 

'Oh- I'm sorr-' You immediately apologized, but he was already out of hearing distance. 

Wait. Why is he- heading out of the school when it's still school hours? 

And his eyes. It looks different. 

You shrugged it off as you rubbed your right shoulder gently, before bending down to pick up your books. 

'Jieunie, you okay?' A pair of hands reached out to help pick up the stray pieces of paper for you, not before glancing at the direction that you were looking at. 

'Yeah, I just accidentally bumped into someone- He's from your class, isn't he?' 

'Who?' 

'Taekwoon sunbae. That's his name right?' 

You did not notice the change in expression of the person before you as you took back your books from him. 'Yeah he is. He didn't do anything to you, did he?'

'Nope. I just didn't expect to see someone there when I looked up and kind of tripped.' 

'Be more careful next time.' Hakyeon said as he nudge you slightly with his elbow. 

'Oppa, don't you have lessons soon?' You asked as you checked your watch. 2 minutes left. 

'The lecture theatre isn't far from here.' 

'Oh-Okay then I'll go first?' Hakyeon looked at you as you smiled at him. 'Oh! And I'm going out with Seyoung later! You can go back first!' 

'Mm. Don't trip!' He saw your petite figure disappear down the corridor, and noticed a second too late that a few pieces of your notes were still in his hands. 

This idiot...



You popped your head into the room and immediately spotted your best friend sitting at the side, gesturing for you to get in quick. 

'Ain't here yet?' You asked, still panting slightly. 

'Yeah. Did you get what you need?' 

'Mmhmm.' You took out the papers slotted between your books and started to rearrange it. And that was when you realized that you was short of some. Oh no no no no no. 

Seyoung sighed as she looked at you flipping through your books, turning them upside down. Not again... 'Did you leave some in your locker again?' 

'No! I'm certain I took out every single piece!' 

'Did you drop it on the way here?' 

'No-' Hakyeon oppa! You immediately stood up as you headed towards the door. 'I'll be back asap.' 

'Yah! The cher's going to come in anytime soon-' But you were already out of the door. 'How many times have this happened and yet she still doesn't learn her lesson.' 


 



The moment you took a right turn when you stepped out of the room, you knocked into someone again, who immediately held onto your shoulders to stabilize you. 

Don't let it be the teacher. Don't let it be the teacher. 

'Forgot something?' You looked up to see him grinning at you as he waved the notes before your face. 

'Thank you sooo much oppa! I don't even know why I'm so dumb and-' You squealed as you hugged onto the person before you tightly. 

Until you were interrupted by someone who wasn't pleased to see two people of the opposite gender hugging by the door of a classroom. 

'Miss Jieun, may I know what sort of behaviour is this?' The teacher tsked as you quickly moved away from Hakyeon. 

'I'm so sorry- I didn't- I mean- I was-' He couldn't hide his smile as he saw you stuttering while you tried to answer the teacher. 

'Get back to your seat.' Hakyeon immediately stilled when the teacher turned to him. 'And you, young lad, get to your class before I ask you for your details.' 

You hurriedly dropped Hakyeon a text once you settled back into your seat, and the teacher busied himself with another late student. 

To: Hakyeon Oppa
    I'm so sorry that you're late for lessons because of me! And thank you so much for the notes! I would have died-


'Ji the 'cher's staring hereee.' Seyoung whispered as you felt a sharp poke by your side. 

'Almost done almost done.' You quickly looked up as you fumbled for the send button, giving the teacher the most innocent smile you could come up with. 

And once he looked away, your attention shifted back to your phone. Oppa is definitely going to laugh at me again... 



From: Jiji Jieun
    I'm so sorry that you're late for lessons because of me! And thank you so much for the notes! I would have died lllkkksjbw isp


He chuckled as he looked at your message. Is it that hard to click the send button without looking? 

'Mr Cha Hakyeon.' He quickly tugged his phone away returning his attention to the front. 

'Sorry prof.'



But if they're in the same class, and Hakyeon oppa has lessons now, was he really heading out of school? 


 



'You should really up your game friend.' Seyoung laughed as she leaned on the locker next to yours, watching you struggle with the mess in it.

'What.' 

'Do you need help?' 

'I'm fine.' You gritted your teeth as you threw your book, and it landed with a slight tud at the top of the pile. Goal! 

'Now how are you going to get it down when you need it?' 

'Hakyeon oppa can help me since you're not helping.' You mumbled as you closed if shut, and walked away, with your friend quickly catching up. 

'You should get sunbae to share some banana milk with you. Maybe you can grow taller.' 

'I have been drinking milk since I was born, and have been stuck at this height since seven years ago. I don't think anything's going to help.' 

'Then too bad.' You shot her a look as she smirked at you. 'Great job today though. You forgot your notes twice, got caught by the teacher by the door doing who knows what, AND gave the wrong answer 'cos somebody was listening in class.' 

'You didn't have to remind me. And oppa was just passing me my notes.' 

'Sure.' 

'Since you're talking so much already right now, you better do your work later okay.' 

'Yeah yeah yeah.' 


 



As the waiter placed the cup before you, you smiled and said a 'thank you', seeing a new latte art before you. There were two stars towards the corner, a small one and a larger one, simple yet still pretty. 

And your phone was immediately taken out as it became an addition to all the various photos of latte art already stored in your phone. 

'I told you that it's certain that the barista secretly likes you. Though it's not much of a secret with all those latte arts.' 

'It's not that big of a deal Seyoung-ah.' You said, a wide grin still plastered on your face. 

'Look at mine! Do you see anything? No! 'Cos there isn't anything to see!' She exclaimed, exasperated as she pointed at her normal cup of latte, with no forms of aesthetic designs on it. 

'Maybe they randomly gave it everyday, and I'm just lucky enough to receive one!' 

'That's because someone secretly admires you.' 

'Not true!' 

'Then how come I didn't get one? They specifically hands you the cup. And even if we ordered the same drink, 'This one is for Jieun-ssi'. All the time.'

'It's not every single time, I get normal cups too.' And, it's not like the baristas are always the same every time I come... 

'Wait, does this happen when you're here with Hakyeon sunbae?' 

'Hmm? Nope.' 

'Is it him?' 

'Why would it be?' 

'Why wouldn't it be? He can just tell the barista before hand, 'Please prepare a cup of pretty latte for Jieun, yeah the tiny, annoying girl whenever she comes over without me? Not the other taller and prettier one who comes with her all the time. Yeah just the one who looks like a hobbit.' You shot your best friend a look when she called you that. The best insult that you could think of was calling her a giraffe, which again wasn't exactly an insult. 

'You can have my cup then.' 

'No! What if one of the baristas come over and be like 'Hey you can't drink that it's meant for Jieun-ssi and only Jieun-ssi.' Seyoung clasped her hands together as she looked at you, batting her eyelashes. 

Why do I even bother... You rolled your eyes as you decided to ignore her, and finally flipped open your notes. There was a graded test in three days and you've yet to start. But you were certain that you're not going to waste your time debating with her over a cup of coffee. 


 



Not too long later, she spoke again. 

'Do you think that one day, the person will write 'I like you' instead?' You sighed, looking up at her. 'Have you received any post its?' 

'Can you at least open your book?' 

'Why should I?'

'Your test is earlier than mine and it's tomorrow, can you please focus and do your work.' 

'You sure it isn't Hakyeon sunbae?' 

'Oppa wouldn't do this kind of stuff.' 

'Why not? You're his Jiji aren't you.' 

'Stop calling me that.'

'Why!! You let him call you that but I can't?' 

'It sounds weird coming from you.' 

'Maybe if I say it more often, you'll get used to it?' 

'Okay that's enough chit-chatting. We need to study.' 


It wasn't as if you didn't try to ask. A few times before, you would politely ask the person behind the counter, which became a friend of yours as you frequented the place, if anyone specifically requested for the latte to be designed. But all you got was simply a nod or a smile as she always kept quiet once that topic was mentioned and waved you off. 



 


You took one last glance around the cafe as you waited for Seyoung to pack her things, muting out her complains about the test. And that was when you saw one of the male baristas looking at you, smiling. 

It's him. He knows. 

And you immediately made a mental note to pry it out of him the next time you come. 

He knows. If it's Hakyeon oppa or not. 


 



As usual, when you got your cup of latte, you were too elated to see the art on it, that you did not notice the person watching you from the other side of the glass door. 

And once you would look around to attempt to find the person afterwards, you always and till now have yet to know who it was, as he was long gone, while your search always remained within the cafe itself. 

 


 

[A/N] First chapter is up! Hope that it's okay for now!

Do comment and subscribe!

Thank you :D

<3