Discovery...?

Don't Break My Heart

 

As we sat on the bench, I told Jongin everything. From when I first met my best friend to that moment, and all the feelings I began to develop. It was hard... the whole time, I was shaking, but he rested a hand on my shoulder to assure that it was okay. Afterwards, I felt relieved. I felt like I didn't have to have all these feelings and never get to talk about it.

I wasn't confused anymore. Just talking to him, everything made sense. Without him saying a word, I could understand what I was going through. So it was easy for me, after telling him about all the things going through my head, I could say it clearly. I could say it without confusion or fear. In fact, I could say it, and felt so relieved because it was about time that not only I told someone, but that I admitted it to myself:

"Yes... I do love her. I'm in love with Sana."

After telling him, I felt like crying, but also laughing. It was so much, but finally, I could tell somebody! I didn't have to keep it in my head, which had become a cluttered mess. Just talking to Jongin, I could sort everything out myself.

I also learned something about Jongin: He does like to play the bad boy around people, but he's actually very humble and caring. He listened to everything I said, encouraging me to go on when I felt too scared to say something, and listened all the way to the end without judging.

I kept laughing before I covered my face in embarassment. "I love her so much... but I can't tell her..."

Jongin stood up. It must have been a lot for him to take in. "I'm really happy for you, Momo."

"Huh?"

He turned around and smiled. "It's great that you could discover that about yourself."

"I suppose..." I said, a little confused. Usually "discovery" was associated with children who go camping in the woods doing wild things and almost getting killed, at least in my household. I didn't quite understand, I didn't want to be associated with those people. And my confusion must have shown on my face, because Jongin clarified: "It's good that you can come to terms with your uality. A lot of people are too afraid to. I wouldn't want you to live on unhappy with yourself. So I'm glad you could admit it to yourself. That you're not 'straight as an arrow.'"

"Yah!" I exclaimed. "Did I say it that much?"

"Everytime Baekhyun called you gay, yeah, you said it a lot."

I grumbled. Ugh, even Baekhyun could sense it. But I didn't want to think about him. And Jongin knew that, too, because he changed the subject.

"So, what now?"

I looked up. "What do you mean?"

He laughed. "Momo, I mean, are you gonna tell her?"

"Eh?!" My hands flew to my mouth. It was probably an exaggerated reaction, but the thought of telling Sana scared me to death. "I can't do that!"

"Why not?"

"She couldn't possibly like me..."

Jongin kinda looked sad... which surprised me, since he was flirting with her over half an hour before. He quietly asked, "Is she... is she straight?"

"Well..." I didn't feel like it was right to tell Sana's business. She told me in secret... I didn't feel like it would be a good idea to tell other people without her knowing.

"Huh, that's too bad... even though I've seen her talking to Amber. I thought she was bi."

On one hand, I was surprised that he noticed, since I never did. On another, I was depressed... she couldn't like me, she likes Amber.

On the other hand, I wanted to punch Jongin. Was he stalking Sana????

"She's... she is bi."

"Oh." Jongin nodded, then said. "I suppose you didn't want to spill her business like that, sorry, I just wanted confirmation."

"Why?"

"So I can help you out."

"With what?"

Jongin laughed. "With asking her out!"

"What?!"

Jongin shook his head. "Momo, you just told me you love this girl. You don't want to date her?"

I looked at the ground. The sun was almost completely gone from the sky by this time, and we would probably have to hurry to the school before we get in trouble for being out past curfew.

"She couldn't like me though. I'm not... good enough."

Jongin sighed. He walked over to me and lifted my chin so I would look him in the eye. "You're an amazing person, Momo, why wouldn't she like you?"

I huffed and moved his hand. "I don't know, why don't you like me? Maybe she has the same reason."

Jongin laughed. "Are you serious right now? Do you want me or Sana? Because if you don't let me help you, then I'll go out with her myself."

"Ugh, weirdo." I pushed him, causing him to laugh.

"But seriously, Momo. Are you gonna choose me or her?"

I looked at him. It was a strange question... but I actually had to think about it.

Jongin: handsome, great dancer, popular, flirty, guy... that I like but he doesn't like me. He's probably someone my parents would like.

Sana: cute, adorable, beautiful, funny, sweet, smart, best friend, girl... that I'm in love with, but I don't know if she even likes me, not to mention my family would disown me

I guess only one answer really made sense.

"Even... if I have a hard time. Even if no one will accept it... even my family..." I looked at Jongin. "I love Sana. I just need the courage to tell her that. But you're not allowed to flirt with her, okay?"

Jongin smiled wide. "Okay, great!"

"But I need your help... I'm scared she'll reject me."

Jongin chuckled. "Why would she do that? Anyways, I can't make her like you. It's not something you can force onto someone."

I pursed my lips. "Well... you have charm. Everyone is attracted to you. Every girl at school wants to date you. If you could just help me have charm... what it is that everyone likes about you... just so Sana will look at me. That's all I want."

Jongin smiled. "I don't know if it will necessarily make her fall for you. If she likes you, she'll like you for who you are already, but I'm willing to help you nonetheless."

I smiled back. Already, I was beginning to feel better.

I was glad that Tzuyu and Dahyun encouraged me to talk to Jongin. I felt like we were becoming good friends.

 


 

"Not every girl, Momo."

"Huh?" I looked up at him. We were slowly making our way back to the schol campus. Sure, it was past curfew, but we didn't care. It was about time we really got to know each other, and about ourselves.

"You said every girl likes me, right?" He looked me in the eye, with a small smile that expressed some happiness and also some pain. "Sana never paid any attention to me. As nice as she is, she's obviously not interested in me. Which could only mean that she likes you, right?"

"Or Amber..."

He sighed. "Okay, we have to do something about her. But, even if she's flirting with her doesn't mean she has any real feelings towards her."

My heart dropped. Amber was the sporty girl, and everyone loved her because she's so funny. But I couldn't like her after knowing that Sana liked her. I envied Amber... she has something I want, that I can't get. And I don't know what it is.

"Yah."

I looked back up at Jongin.

"If I can't date Sana, neither can Amber. Or anyone else. So don't worry!"

I laughed, and Jongin wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He was so good at making me feel normal, unlike his friend.

"Ugh, why are you friends with Byun Baekhyun? He's so mean, especially to Sehun."

"He's meaner to you."

"Wow I feel so special. Thanks a lot, Kai."

He snorted, which caught me off guard. "I'm sorry, Momorin, but he really likes you!"

"Seriously, though. Jongin, why does he always tease me? Ever since I came here, he teased me about my nationality, my accent, my existence. How can you be his friend? He's rude to everyone."

"Except me," he bragged. "Honestly, I've never had problems with him. Anyways, Baek is my cousin, but we've grown up like brothers. He grew up in a broken home, and he was often neglected. My mother decided to watch him, and I helped him with math and reading. This was when we were really young, by the way. I even decided to let him be a part of my dance group towards the end of primary school, but he later found out his interest in piano and singing. We're really close, I can't just unfriend him in a heartbeat. Plus, his racist remarks comes from his dad. He's always talking about Japan being so horrible, which is one of the reasons my aunt couldn't deal with him anymore. Baek will learn one day, sure enough. But he just needs to know that bullying isn't the right outlet for his pain. I tell him all the time, he'll get it one day."

"Oh..." I had no clue, I hadn't considered that maybe Baekhyun had a past himself. And it shocked me that he and Jongin were related!

"You don't have to like him, but I just want you to know he's not as cold hearted as you think."

"No, he still is."

"Ha, okay!" Jongin shrugged. Then, my phone suddenly began to ring.

"Hello? Sakura?"

"Momo, where are you? We're starting to get worried, we haven't seen you since you left the park..."

"Sana, I'm fine. I'm with Jongin, and we're close by."

I heard a gasp over the phone. After some shuffling sounds, I heard her say, "Wa, Peach, you've done it!!"

"What??"

"I wish I coud get a picture, you two look so cute!!"

"Eh?" She sees me? Through a window!!

I pushed Jongin away. "We can't look this way."

"Oh, okay."

"Sana, I'll talk to you later, but there is nothing between us!! Stop saying weird things!!"

After quickly hanging up, I told Jongin about what had happened. He just shrugged. "It's fine. They'll see soon enough, especially Sana. Anyways, I'll see you tomorrow. Before breakfast, I'll try to help you with... charm lessons, or whatever."

I laughed. "Okay."

We waved goodbye to each other before walking to our separate dorm buildings.