Trust

Don't Break My Heart

 

As promised, we all got together an hour later to study. Jongin made every effort to make Sana and I interact, asking her to quiz me on something or having me check over her homework. It was a little embarrassing but I was grateful that he was still helping me. It made me wonder if he still had a crush on her or if he had already gotten over it. He never talked to me about it, which is understandable, but I was still curious about how he felt.

When we were finished with our study session, we all packed up. "I'm gonna grab a drink before we go," I smiled at Sana, walking over to the vending machine.

"Oh, um... you go ahead Momo! Don't wait for me."

I shrugged. "Okay, I'll see you later then!" I walked over to the vending machine and bought a drink and I heard Sana say something to Jongin in a low voice.

"I need to talk to you about something."

I turned around. They were stalling, slowly picking up the rest of the objects from the table and putting them in their bags. Realizing why they were doing that, I took my cue. "Okay, see you guys later!" I left the room and slid next to the door, staying very quiet and even holding my breath.

I didn't think too much about it before but my insecurities had started coming back to me: Jongin, one of the most popular guys at the school, who could steal the heart of any girl he wanted, was talking to my Sana. He was always encouraging when it came to her but how could I trust that he had no motives of his own? Because he said so? I felt bad but I never really was one to give all my trust to anybody.

Sana started to speak very slowly as if trying to gather all her thoughts. "I wanted to tell someone, and usually I would tell Momo but this time I can't.."

"Why not? Why are you telling me?"

"You're the closest to her out of anyone. I need your help with something."

What?? Does Sana want to talk to Jongin about me? But... why...

"Well, I told Momo this a while ago but you know Amber? I was talking with her recently..."

I started to block it out. Being reminded of Amber, I was so bothered that I didn't want to listen anymore. I remembered, there couldn't possibly be a way I could get any closer with Sana because she was interested in someone else. So I just walked away.

 


 

Jongin and I sat at in the library silently, supposedly studying. I noticed, however, that he was distracted. He was fidgeting a lot and looked like he was trying to keep from smiling.

I sat my book down. "What is it?"

"What's what?"

"You're way too excited about something and now I'm curious."

"I'm not."

I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "Really? Because it looks to me like you're trying to bite back a smile."

He laughed. "Okay, okay, I'll tell you afterward. We gotta focus, okay?"

"You're not even focused, just say it!"

Jongin sighed and closed his book. "Fine. I was talking to Sana about something yesterday..."

Oh , should I really be hearing this? Sana didn't want me to hear...

"Hey, she told you, not me. It's fine, now let's keep studying."

"But wait, Momo. It's important. She said she's not into Amber!"

My eyes widened. "Wait, what?"

"I think there's some hope for you." He smiled widely and then picked his book up again.

"Jongin..."

"Hmm?"

"You're hiding something else from me, aren't you? Don't just tell half the story!"

"Well... she told me, not you. Now, let's keep studying."

I slammed my fist on the table. "That's it?!"

"Hey, shh, Momo we're in the library!"

"That's all you wanted to tell me? That doesn't mean , she could be interested in someone else for all I know."

"Hey, Momo, don't feel discouraged. It's your insecurity that's going to mess up your chance, not whatever obstacles you think you have. You've got a chance to prove your feelings to her."

"Why should I show my feelings to her? So I can look like a ing idiot? To scare her off?"

"Momo," Jongin took both my hands and looked me dead in the eyes. "Sana is your best friend. Nothing you could do could scare her off. She loves you a lot, okay? So stop losing so much confidence in yourself. You got this."

He let go and after a pause, he picked up the book again, this time a lot more focused.

I sat in confusion, wondering what the hell had just happened. While Jongin basically scolded me, I could feel just how much faith he had in me. And I knew, he really wanted me to take a chance with Sana, even if she were to reject me in the end. He wanted this for me.

I guess I could trust him all along.