Tteokbokki and Fried Chicken

Don't Break My Heart

 

"I'm back!" I sat at the table across from Sana with a plate of tteokbokki and fried chicken. We decided to eat out, with permission, since we missed dinner at school.

Jongin sat next to me, and Tzuyu next to my friend.

Jongin and I immediately went for the chicken first, which Tzuyu found adorable or something.

"Ahh, you two have the same favorite food... how cute." She smiled as she took a bite from a rice cake.

Jongin and I looked at each other, embarassed, and laughed awkwardly. Sana nudged Tzuyu and slightly shook her head.

"I heard that you guys are both leaders this year," Sana smiled brightly saying this, making my heart beat speed up.

"Yes, it was my idea," Jongin said and took a sip of his soda. "I was voted to be leader, but Momo is an amazing dancer, so I thought we should mix it up this year. I'll try to be more of an assistant though. I'll give her most of the work." 

He and Sana laughed, and I felt my face grow hot. I didn't think about the amount of responsibility that would come with it until that moment. But I felt Sana's hand rest on mine.

"Momo can handle it though. She's very passionate about dancing." Sana smiled at me reassuringly, and I smiled back.

"Well, I'll try my best," I nodded and shyly pulled my hand away to continue eating.

"What style will it be?" Tzuyu asked. "Hip hop, jazz, ballet?"

"Umm... I'm still figuring that out..."

"I was thinking of trying a little fusion," Jongin added. "We'll figure it out."

I nodded and continued to eat silently.

"Umm... I think it's time for me to go." Jongin his fingers and stood. "I'm going to the bathroom to wash my hands." He looked at Tzuyu. "Would you mind walking back with me?"

Tzuyu looked at him questionably and pointed at herself. Jongin nodded.

"But I'm still eating..."

"Please, I don't want to walk by myself."

"Umm... why not walk with Momo! I'm sure she'd like to walk with you!"

"But she has to stay with Sana, they're besties."

Tzuyu looked at me and I shrugged.

"Huh... okay. I'll be ready when you come out."

"Okay," Jongin smiled and walked toward the bathroom.

"Don't worry Momo, I'll say something for you," Tzuyu drank the rest of her beverage. "I don't know if he's flirting or not, but I'll help you out."

I let out a loud sigh. "Tzuyu... I thought I made it clear, I don't want to be with him. If you like him, flirt away."

Tzuyu rose an eyebrow. "Nobody drops a guy that quickly, especially when he's Kim Jongin."

"Oh, come on..."

"You like someone else, don't you?" Tzuyu smiled mischeviously. "I don't know if he's as handsome and cool as Jongin, but I'll figure it out."

"Where did you get that idea," I pointed at her defensively, but Sana calmed me down quickly before I could say anything else.

"It's okay, whether Momo has a crush on Jongin or not, she has to sort her feelings out alone, so don't confuse her."

Tzuyu sighed and nodded. "Sorry, I just get excited about these things."

"It's okay," I smiled at her. Soon, Jongin came back from the restroom. He reached into his pocket for some money and handed it to me.

"I'll pay for the whole meal," he smiled.

"No, it's okay, I said I'd pay for it," I tried to give it back, but he wouldn't except it.

"Nah, it's okay. Enjoy the rest of the meal." He waved at Sana and I and he left, Tzuyu following him.

"Jongin is really quite the flirt," Sana said once he was out of sight.

"What do you mean?" I asked, laughing.

"It's hard to figure him out. I thought he was flirting with me at the park, now he's trying to get away with Tzuyu. He doesn't know what he wants, does he." She shook her head.

Of course, I knew Jongin was really trying to get Sana and I alone, but I didn't really want to be because I needed his help.

"Momo... can you tell me about her now?"

"Huh?"

"The girl you like. You still haven't told me about her."

"I don't want to..."

"Did you tell Jongin about her?"

"Well..."

Sana frowned. "He knows who she is, doesn't he?" She rolled her eyes. "You aren't ditching me for him, are you?"

My jaw dropped. "Sana, what are you saying, of course not!"

"How come you won't tell me anything then?"

I sighed. "She's cute, funny, nice.... what do you want to know?"

"Tell me how she looks if you won't tell me who she is."

Oh, great, I thought. Surely she'd guess right away.

"She has dark hair, pretty skin... aish, I'm not good with explaining people, you know that..."

Sana sighed. "Okay, I won't keep irritating you."

"Okay," I stretched. "You ready to head back now?"

"Sure."

We stood to go to the bathroom. As we were washing our hands, I spoke up. "I'm sorry if you feel like you're being... replaced. But there's no one who could take your place, you know that."

Sana smiled at me, blushing. "I feel ashamed. I guess I got a little jealous. I should be the one apologizing."

"No, it's okay, I understand. I just hope you know, you'll always be my best friend."

"Of course," Sana nodded, satisfied. She turned to grab a paper towel.

Her best friend... always. Was it bad to say that? As if I wanted nothing more than her friendship?

And her reaction, she seemed happy about that. She must not want anything more than to be... just friends.