Take the lead

Don't Break My Heart

 

After classes were over, I head straight over to the dance studio. While stretching, Jongin walked over to me and we greeted each other like best friends. I was fine with him as the leader, because he's such a great dancer, and I had to keep telling myself that despite the disappointment I felt.

"It'd be cool if you were the lead, though," he told me. "You have a different style, and I think we could use a change sometimes."

"School doesn't favor change," I said.

Jongin frowned. "That's not the attitude you should have."

"Well, I think that whether you, me, or someone else is leader, we should just try our hardest, right?"

"Of course," he replied.

As Jongin looked at his notes, I thought about how nice it was to be leader. He would pcik the song and choreograph, have the center position... It was something I had always wished to do. But... I decided it was okay.

"He's a better dancer than me, anyway..." I told myself. "It's better like this."

Jongin, who was standing next to me, must have heard what I said. I didn't notice he was looking at me, but he suddenly spoke up, "Can I... um. Is it okay if I choose someone to work with me? Like a partner or something?"

Our teacher looked at him curiously. "Well, I guess that would make the it easier on you. If you would like someone to work with, I'm fine with that, we can probably be more prepared for the performances that way." She looked around at the class with a smile, then looked at her notebook. "I'll choose... Park-"

"Wait," Jongin shouted, a little too desperately.

"Hm?" The teacher looked a bit shocked by his urgency.

"I would like... to choose my partner, if that's okay with you."

She nodded then put her notebook down. "As you like."

All the Parks in the class sighed heavily, their chance was snatched away from them.

Jongin smiled at me and put his arm around my shoulder. "I want to work with Hirai Momo."

I looked at him, taken aback. "Jongin, what are you saying?"

Even the teacher looked a bit surprised. "Why... exactly did you choose Momo?"

I was a little hurt, even though I knew already that my teacher didn't like my dancing very much.

Jongin looked around at the class. I could see he looked a bit disappointed in their reaction. He pursed his lips. "I won't give up on you, Momo." He smiled at me before walking to the front of the room.

"Maybe she has a different style. Maybe her music taste is a bit different. But that's exactly what we need. We have to change things up a little if we want people to stay interested in us. Besides, she'd make a great center! She's very pretty and likeable. And have you seen the look she has when she dances? it's very interesting to watch, it's a shame she's always hidden. So I think we should work together to choreograph this year's performances."

I'm not so sure how to explain the atmosphere of the room at the time. But the words Jongin said... I never knew he had observed me so much. I always felt invicible to him, I never knew he was my fan.

He smiled at me and nodded, and I was so touched.

The teacher nodded. "It's your decision. I hope you are confident in it."

Jongin bowed to the teacher. "Thank you!" then he ran over to me and smiled. "Momo, we did it! We can work together now."

I looked up at him, then looked down so he wouldn't see the tears in my eyes. "You're too much, Kim Jongin. How am I supposed to repay you."

"There is no debt between friends, is there?"

I looked up at him. He laughed and pat my head. "I'm glad to help you with anything, Momo. So don't get all mushy about it, okay!"

I laughed and nodded, wiping my eyes.

 


 

"Jongin, if I am spending all this time with you, doesn't it defeat the purpose of you helping me?" I glanced up at him. We were doing our homework on a table at an open space on campus, but it was getting dark so we decided to pack up and head to the cafeteria for dinner.

"Don't I still have things to teach you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, why don't you tell me then."

Jongin nodded, then pointed behind me. I looked back, and to my surprise, it was Sana and Tzuyu.

"How long have they been over there?"

"I don't know, but I don't think they know you're here either. Looks studying as well. Anyways, if you want Sana to fall for you, there are some things you can do for her right now."

I looked at him eagerly. "Tell me! What is it?"

Jongin laughed. "When you go over there, you have to get her attention of course. When you greet her, look her in the eyes."

I started to blush. "How am I supposed to do that?"

"It's not that hard!"

"Oh, lord..." I covered my face with my hands. 

"I'll continue, but this better not be for nothing! Anyway, I want you to go over there and greet her with a smile and look in her eyes. Ask her how she is, what she's doing, ya know, so she knows you care about her. Then, tell her you're on you're way to dinner and ask her to walk with you. And offer to hold her stuff."

"Jongin," I extended my hand towards my belongings. "I can hardly hold my own things without pain. Besides, it's a bit rude to separate her from Tzuyu, isn't it?"

He rolled his eyes. "You asked for my help, didn't you? I'll take care of Tzuyu, just do as I say!"

"Will she fall in love with me?"

He gave me this crazy look as if I said something stupid. "This is not something that happens overnight! Besides, the goal is to show her that you're interested in her, we can't make her fall in love."

I ran my hands through my hair. "She doesn't like me in that way though. She'll just reject me."

Jongin rolled his eyes in frustration, then paused. "They're packing up, you're going to miss your chance!"

I looked back, panic in my eyes. "Okay, let's go."

We walked over to them quickly, trying to look normal however. They had a blanket spread on the ground they were sitting at.

We greeted the both of them, then I kneeled down to meet Sana.

"Hi, Momo." She smiled at me.

"Hey," I looked her in the eyes like I was told. It was dangerous.... I couldn't stop staring at her.

"Momo?" Sana spoke.

I looked away quickly, my face turning hot. "I was on my way to the cafeteria for dinner. Would you like to come with me?"

Sana smiled. "I'm actually not very hungry, I'll just go to my room instead."

"Wait, Sana. You can't skip dinner. I'll pay for it if you like."

She shook her head. "I don't want you to spend your money on me-"

"Sana," I took her hand. "You can't skip a meal. That's not healthy. Come, let's eat together."

After a little hesitation, she nodded and smiled. Okay, let's go."

I stood up quickly, which made me a bit dizzy, but made sure to help Sana up and grab her bag. "Okay, let's go!" I stumbled a bit because the stuff was so heavy.

"Are you okay?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm fine." I smiled, hoping Sana wouldn't notice how much I was actually struggling. I looked back at Jongin, who was talking to Tzuyu. He laughed at me quietly.

I pouted. Is he using me as a joke. I shook my head. He seems to have good intentions, but he's always teasing me! Is this the kind of friendship we have?

I looked at Sana in front of me. If he can really get Sana to like me, I guess I can endure this kind of friendship.