The phone call

You're my bright star

           

             “Right, auntie.  I’ll tell Myeon,” Minseok bow a little and ended the conversation on the phone.  It’s a Joonmyeon’s mother. She asked Minseok to tell Joonmyeon about anniversary party which will be held next two month. She tell through Minseok because Joonmyeon won’t answer the phone.  

                 From kitchen window, he look Joonmyeon who  serving the customers.  That boy working non stop since morning. Joonmyeon request an extra working shift during a short mid semester holiday.  He need to save an extra money. He’s been working ten hours with one hour of break only but keep smiling and laughing.  One thing that Minseok always admire from his dongsaeng is his hard working ethic and never complain.  He glad that now Joonmyeon found someone he can lean on and give him so much love.  That boy deserve it. And that’s also make him have no heart to tell about the phone he just received. Surely it will ruin Joonmyeon happy mood.  

            “Myeon, have you eat?” Minseok asked when Joonmyeon placed an empty basket on table.  

             He nod and busied refill a glass jug with ice lemon.

            “Don’t  forget  your vitamin too,” Minseok add.

            “I did,” he said and walking so fast to the front.

            In a moment he back with pilling cups. Prepare a new plate for another customer, walk to the front. In another second, he almost running to the kitchen to take a full basket of baguette and walk to the front while yelling something to Yixing. Then he walking with another empty plate. He smile when their eyes meet.   

            “Have you got your lunch?” Minseok asked again. He still try to find a right way talk about the phone.

            Joonmyeon frown and put all the utensil in the sink.   “ I had my lunch, Minnie. And yes I already take my vitamin too.”

            Minseok chuckle.

            “What’s wrong?” Joonmyeon sat on table next  to bread dough that Minseouk’s   kneading.  His hand playing with rolling pin.

            “ Well, aunty called me.”

            Joonmyeon stop his hands.

            “She told me about your parent anniversary and…. “

            “ I’ll think about it,” Joonmyeon jump a little  from a table and stand up.

            “Myeon, wait. Aunty said it’s 25 anniversary. She really hope you come.”

            Joonmyeon still in silent.  Family! Doesn’t matter how you want to avoid it. There’s a time it will haunting you again like a ghost from the past. Every thing work so smooth in his life lately. Joonmyeon fell so bless that he surround with great  friends and  one particular guy, Yifan. Now, one phone called  can ruin every thing.

                  He certainly remember his parent anniversary. Since kid he always prepare something for their anniversary. Unfortunatelly his brother, his parent’s favorite, always has a better gift.  After high school he decide to stop prepare anything. But this year is 25 anniversary.  His brother sending him an email about his parent planning of  big party. All the father colleague and extended family will come.  He’s not sure if his heart ready for another insulting from his parent. And  make things worse, his brother definitely will be there too. Should he bear another day seeing  his brother arrogant face?

                 “Think over carefully,Myeon. This is 25 anniversary. That will be impolite and disgrace your parent if you not come,” Miseok finally said after a long silence.

                 “I don’t want to be a ungrateful son too, “ Joonmyeon take long breath. He suddenly feel nause and dizzy. He take  a handkerchief to wipe the runny nose. Snort almost in audible.

                   “ If you need company, I can go with you,” Minseok said again after another death silence.

                  Joonmyeon nod and suddenly he hug Minseok tighly.

                  “ Myeon. It’s alright!  I’m always on your  side, okay,“ Minseok hug Joonmyeon back.

           

                                                                     

 

                   Joonmyeon try not to think much about his parent anniversary. He pour all his energy and thought for working. But, he can’t hide it in front Yifan

                   “Joon, are you alright?” Yifan caresses his head from behind.

                  Joonmyeon turn around and flashing his smile.  “ Yes. I’m alright.”

                  “Are you sure? You can talk to me if something bothering you.”

                 Joonmyeon tilt his head in surprise.  It’s absolutely weird how Yifan can see a tiny different in his expression. Not even Jondae, Yixing or Luhan.

                 “’I’m fine. Wy you ask?”

                 “ You just look… “ Yifan raise his both hand in confuse. He try to find a right words but can’t. Joonmyeon does’t look sad but he not really happy either. He still smile and laught to customers. Joke a little with Jongdae and Luhan, but his smile not really reach his eyes. There’s a thin cloud in his eye.

                  “I’m 100% fine. Thanks for asking.”

                  Yifan nod and back hug him.

                  “Yifaaaan, please… “ Joonmyeon wiggle and try to get out from Yifan tight hug. They still in working shift. He standing in sink with big jug and his hand is bit slippery because of the  soap.  Too much risque thing can happen.

                   “ I don’t careeee.“ Yifan still hug him and now place his chin in joonmyeon’s head and shaking the hug until Joonmyeon’s body moving right and left.

                   “Oooh God!  Not you too, hyung!” a screaming coming from the door.

                    Yifan released  his hug. Joonmyeon smack Yifan’s hand lightly and glare.

                     There’s Jongdae standing with both hand cover his eyes.

                     “Don’t be so dramatic! “ Yifan pull Jongdae hand off from his eyes. “ We’re  just hugging. No tongue  involves.”

                     Jongdae give a disgusting expression and pretend to puke.

                      “You need to find some one, you know,” Yifan  nibble a left over bread from basket in Jongdae’s hand.

                      Jongdae snort.  “Actually I’m thinking about Myeomyeon hyung, but you stole it from me!”

                     Yifan and Joonmyeon widen their eyes in shocked.

                     “Dae, I didn’t  know  that you…” Joonmyeon  walk slowly to Jongdae  in concern.

                    Jongdae laughing and clapping his hand so hard. “ Gotcha! ”

                   “That’s not funny!” Yifan smack Jongdae’s head really hard until that boy squirm  a little.

                    With sulking face Jongdae rest his head in Joonmyeon’s shoulder, asked  for protection.  Joonmyeon pat his dongsaeng’s head and subtly laughing.

                    Yifan laugh too. He’s glad that Joonmyeon laugh reaching  his eyes now.

 

                                                         

                                                                              

 

                    After his car fixed, Yifan doesn’t really need extra money. But he still working in shop once a week. He choose a same day as Joonmyeon with a shorter working hours. He really enjoy the four hours working when Joonmyeon are around.  He has this kind a adobrable and cute gesture that send Yifan a happy vibe.  

                   Sometimes in quiet day where only a few customer come, they have an extra time hanging out in the kitchen with  Jongdae bragging about baking recipe he tried. Joonmyeon always be the first person  who has the privilege to try it.   

                   This afternoon Jongdae try  a difficult recipe again.  It’s his third attempt to  make a classic cheese souffle.  The hardest part make souffle is keep the batter rising in right height and not easily collapse like a flat tyre. He really hope this souffle rising perfectly.

                  Joonmyeon peeking from oven in excited. He cupped both his hand near his face.  His forehead almost touch the oven door  glass.  “Dae, it’s rising. It’s rising.  Looook!”

                   Jongdae standing next to Joonmyeon and shriek in exciting.  “ Yes it is. Oh god.. oh god.  Almost done!” He look to the timer intensely.  

                  Like waiting for the countdown  in New Year’s Eve, Joonmyeon and Jongdae watch carefully the timer change its number  and as soon as the the ‘ting’ sound fill the room, two of them claps hand happily.

                Yifan sit on the table in amuse, mostly watching Joonmyeon who look so excited and jumping a little when Jongdae pull hot tray out   from oven.

               “Careful.. careful….  Fan, move a little bit!”  Joonmyeon sush and keep walking next Jongdae like a bodyguard who company the VIP person.  His hand straight  forward to clear  the way.

               Slowly Jongdae place the hot tray of eight portion of souffle  in table. Yifan standing behind Joonmyeon and place his hand in his shoulder. Joonmyeon turn around and grin. “You have to try Dae souffle it’s soooo delicious.”

               Jongdae examine his souffle and waiting for a moment of truth. The tricky part is how long souffle still rise perfectly after it take out from the oven.  He nod happily when the souffle not deflated after several minutes.  He take a small spoon and slowly dip it to the souffle. He taste it and  shake his head in happy. “ Man, I’m good!” he compliment himself.  

             “Let me try… let me try… “ Joonmyeon asked in exiting and jiggle a little impatient. Yifan can’t help laughing seeing Joonmyeon moving his body  almost in bounching like  bunny who waiting for the carrot.

             “ Take this, hyung,” he give one portion of souffle for Joonmyeon.  

            Joonmyeon  spoon the souffle quickly. His mouth open a little to get rid the heatness. His eyes widen in exiticing. “ My goodness,  it’s sooo delicious, Dae. You’re really good!” 

           “I know!” Jongdae reply in proud.    

           With eyes closed ,head shake in pleasure and a sound of humming  come out from his mouth, Joonmyeon enjoy another spoon of souffle  like a model doing some commercial.   

          Yifan watching in amuse.  Joonmyeon expression is easy too read when he like something.

         “You want some?” Joonmyeon open his eyes and turn to Yifan. He spoon a souffle and feed Yifan who open his mouth happily.

           “Ewww!” Jongdae complain.  “ Why I always  see thing like this.”

           “Oh, sorry, Dae,” joonmyeon apologies.

           Yifan laughing so loud.

 

                                                                        

 

          Jongdae share his beautiful souffle with  Minseok and Yixing as well. He grin widely  when Minseok compliment  and thinking to let him make another souffle for the customer. Jongdae give the last two souffle for Joonmyeon and Yifan bring home.  He put it in plastic box.   

           Joonmyeon placed the box in his lap carefully and put a seat belt.  Their shift are over.  Yifan would drop Joonmyeon in his apartement. But, today Yifan manage to persuade Joonmyeon to stop by in his place.   This is the first time Joonmyeon visit Yifan’s place. He let Joonmyeon sitting in kitchen island when he make a hot chocolate with marshmallow and brew a coffee  to pairing with  souffle.

             Joonmyeon really like a Yifan apartement. The interior  really clean and minimalist  with wooden funitures.  Yifan said that he’s very lucky that his mom found  the place  and pay all the yearly rent in advance. She has a good bargain since the owner is one of her colleague who just temporary move to Australia and need someone to use their place.

               The apartement is really  luxurious for college student’s standart.  It has of two bed room, living room, kitchen island and balcony.  Joonmyeon can see how close Yifan’s with his mother. There’s a lot of picture of him and his mother everywhere. There’s a picture of  both of them in the Niagara Fall.  Picture of Yifan and his mom reading a book together.  And one of black and white picture of pretty young lady. Joonmyeon bet it was Yifan’s  mother when she’s still young.  He can see where Yifan got the eyes and smile.

                  Joonmyeon walk to the balcony . He look up to the sky. Yifan's  apartement really give him a clear sky view. It’s been a long time seen a great view like this. He used to sit near a window in his room watching the sky, seeking a star. He really like watching a sky at night and let his mind wandering.  Hope for a shooting star and make a wish. 

                  “What are you looking at?” Yifan back hug Joonmyeon and put his head on Joonmyeon’s chin.

                “Star. A  shooting star.“

                Both look up to  the sky. It’s dark clear. Unfortunatelly no stars at all. There’s  some twinkling  but Joonmyeon sure it’s just city light from another apartement’s tower.  Yifan agree with him. Then another twinkle light seeing on the sky.

                “Look!” Joonmyeon said in exciting.

               “I think it’s airplane, Joon.”

               Joonmyeon frown and look really closely  in the sky.  Again, Yifan’s  right. It’s airplane.

             “ Can we pretend that airplane in the night sky are like shootin’s stars. I could really use a wish right now, wish right now, wish right now,” Yifan suddenly sing Airplane song.

            Joonmyeon laught subtly and start singing too with head still looking up to the sky. He see another twinkle. Must be another airplane.  It’s really hard this day to see a star with bare eyes.

            “What wish do you want to make?”  

          Joonmyeon thinking for a  moment. He has a lot of wish. Probably too many.  He wish his family can leave him alone. He wish he graduate with GPA 4.0  and move  to New York immediately.  He wish he will found someone who love him unconditionally. He wish Minseouk’s shop will expand all over the Korea. He wish Jongdae can go to Paris  for culinary school.  He wish Luhan can be happy with Minseouk .  But he only mention one,” I wish we always happy and healthy. How about you? ”

           “ To be with you forever,” Yifan said.

             “Come’ on be serious!” Joonmyeon chuckle.  

            “I am serious.” Yifan release his hug and turn Joonmyeon to face him. Joonmyeon held his breath. The way Yifan gaze always give him crazy sensation.  Yifan’s hand move to his waist and tight his hug until their chest meet. Joonmyeon slowly put his arm to Yifan’s neck. Yifan kiss Joonmyeon’s  forehead.  

            “Thank you, Fan,” Joonmyeon answer softly.  In tip toe he  give a peck in lips.

            Again Yifan kiss Joonmyeon’s  head. Althought that’s  not what the answer he expect but he still happy. As long as he can feel his bunny on his arm then he’ll be fine.  

            Suddenly Joonnmyeon sneeze again. This time longer than usual. Until his head dizzy, his eyes watery and his nose turn really red.  Yifan caresses his back slowly. 

             “We should see a doctor,” Yifan said help Joonmyeon wiped his nose. As soon as they arrive at home, Yifan’s made Joonmyeon wear his sweater to prevent the night air. Apprantely that’s not enough.

              “No it’s alright.  I’m fine,” Joonmyeon wipe again his runny nose.

              Yifan sigh heavily and shake his head disagreee. Sometime Joonmyeon is so subborn when it come to himself.  He always said  ‘I’m alright’ ‘ don’t worry’  over and over again.

             “Really, Fan. I always sneeze in night. I’m bit sensitive to night weather.  Nothing  to worried about.”  

            “But.. “  

           A sound of phone ringing interrupt.

            Yifan take a phone from his pocket. “ My mom,”he smile.  

           Joonmyeon can see how Yifan’s  face glowing with his gummy smile. They speak in Chinese mixed with English. He only caugh a little about  time of flight and some souvenir. 

            “ I love you, Mom. Bye,” Yifan ended his phone.  “Sorry about it. That’s my mom.”    

            “Something wrong? “

            “Nope. She’s asked about our short mid-term holiday. She want me to go with her  meet the relatives in Guanghzou. She’s going to book a flight ticket. I think I have to go for two  or three days.”  

            Joonmyeon wonder. When was the last time he say  ‘I love you’ to his parent?  Mostly he remember was  about all  the fights.  He fought with his big brother over a new robot’s toy  and his parent  take  side on his brother. He fought with his mother who said he’s not  study hard enough and only got  B on math. He fought with his  father about the major he choose. He didn’t want to be architecture. His a mother coax his arm and beg him to obey his father.  He remember his mother only said  ‘suit yourself’  when asked  her permission to chose study in international relationships.   

            “Hey, are you okay?” Yifan see mist in Joonmyeon’s  eyes again.           

             “Yeah, I’m fine. “

            “I won’t be long, Joon.  What do you want me to bring for you?

            “Just enjoy your time  dan come back safely.”

            “Sure. I’ll will,” Yifan kiss a joonmyeon’s tip of his nose and hug him.  

            Joonmyeon tighten the hug with unreadble epression.  It make Yifan’s worried again.  Slowly his hand touch Joonmyeon’s waist and tickle it. Joonmyeon giggle a little and tickle Yifan’s waits. But Yifan not a ticklish person. He keep trying but Yifan not move at all. In fact it make him easily attact by Yifan’s hand and he laughing non stop. 

            “Please… Fan. Enough… enough,” Joonmyeon wipe his laughing tears and walk circling the balcony to avoid the attack.

            “Say sorry!”

            Joonmyeon shake his head, “Never!”

            Yifan keep tickling Joonmyeon until that boy walk backward and found the way to the living room. He try to close the sliding door but Yifan is too fast and with one jump he  attack Joonmyeon until they’re falling to the couch.

            “Okay.. okay… Sorry!” Joonmyeon  screaming in despair.  Yifan’s body almost pin him and he can’t breath.

            “Good. You are forgiven!” Yifan lift his body with big grin and look down to a Joonmyeon who laying under him. He just realize that he’s really in weird position. But he can’t move. His brain freeze completely. His eyes can’t take away from Joonmyeon soft lips, pinky cheek and smooth neck. He gulp in silent.

            Joonmyeon feel the weird feeling hit his body. His breath turn so heavy and slow.  Yifan’s  neck are so close with his lips. He can feel Yifan knee in his leg. Absently he spread his legs a little until Yifan’s body between his legs. He wrapped his hand  to Yifan’s neck.  Slowly Yifan sneak his hand under Joonmyeon’s back and kiss his lips. Yifan’s tongue began wander on his lower lips and naturaly Joonmyeon parted his lips and let their tongue dancing. They keep kissing and kissing passionately until run out of air.  Yifan give him the last sweet peck in the nose.  

           Now Yifan sit on the couch with Joonmyeon on his lap and facing each other.

          “Can we do like this forever?” Yifan asked in whisper.

            Joonmyeon nod in shyly. He look up again to the sky outside.  Star light, star bright, Please let Yifan be mine.  

 

-------------

            I didn't know why I put the Airplane song in here. it just  stuck in my head when writing this chapter. Hope you enjoy this chapter. Thank you for all of  you who give me  comment in every chapter. It really make me happy. Please comment more ha ha ha. 

         And  I'm wishing  every one who celebrate Chinese New Year, happy new year. May this year bring you a prosperity, good luck and good fortune. ^^