Thank You, Yifan

You're my bright star

 

            Joonmyeon wash the last two plate slowly.  He decided it’s not clean enough and wash it again. His heart beat really faster.  There’s a butterfly on his stomach. He bumped his head to Yifan chest twice!  Only stupid people do it  in this big spacey kitchen.  He  internally cursing Luhan.  If only he didn’t say yes  to fill in Luhan  shift today all the embarassing thing won’t happened.

            “But you said it’s okay yesterday! ” Luhan sound  disappointed on the phone. 

            “ I know bu- but  I just remember I have to finish my paper,” Joonmyeon  whisper and cup his hand near a mouth. Afraid that tall guy who just arrive  overheard it.

            “No, you’re not! I saw you doing all the assignment. You don’t want working with Yifan, right?”

            “I’m  just…. “ 

            “ Minnie only can go on Sunday and the exhibition will ended on Wednesday. Please.. please Myeon, I buy you an box of ice cream, pleaseeee !”  Luhan whine.

            Joonmyeon bit his bottom lips. Thinking. Minseouk and Luhan always help him. Support him without he asked for it.  Mainly  Minseok who always on his side when nobody care about him. As soon as he planned open the boulangerie & patisserie, he promise to give Joonmyeon a job. Minseok really understand  how his financial condition is. Working  as a waiter definitely help a lot. Not to mention all the left over bread Minseok let him to bring a home. ‘take  as many as you want, Myeon’  That’s  what Minseouk said every time the shop begin  50% discount  before closing time.  Not even Yixing, Luhan or Jongdae got special privilege like that.  Maybe he should endure this time for the sake of his friends.

            “Fine. But I want two box of ice cream! ”

            Luhan scream happily until Joonmyeon has to pull out his phone from the ears.

            “Sure. No problem. “

            “Okay, have fun with Minseok.”

            “ You too, Myeon.  Try to talk with Yifan, okay. He’s nice guy!”

              Joonmyeon sigh heavily. What make thing worse is today’s Sunday.  It’s a short day of service. They open only until five o’clock.  It’s only need two person in charge; himself and Yifan.   Minseok usually take day off on Sunday. Jongdae already finish all the baking by 11 afternoon. He flung himself faster than a bird as soon as  last  bread ready. With big smirk he give a hug and say, ‘ have fun, hyung!’

            Spending time alone with Yifan is not what kind of fun he think of. Not that he hate the present of that gorgeous boy. It’s more that he really really really like him to the point it’s hurt and confuse him. His brain can’t  work properly.  His leg wobbly like a jelly, his tongue frozen. He can’t speak clearly and give that tall man an questionable  expression every time Joonmyeon open his mouth.

            Probably Yifan never know that he exist before. Since the first year of college he admire Yifan basket ball skill. As a captain basket, Yifan had a  lot admirer. Boys and girls flock around him. He has not guts to come closer. He pretty happy by watched it  from a distant.

            When he’s not busy, he companied Baekhyun sitting for hours in bench near basket ball court watching Chanyeol playing.  Once he and Baekhyun watching basket ball competition to cheers their college team.  Although he didn’t really understand the game, but his eyes couldn’t take off from tall guy who really good a passing the ball and score the points. And now they share in one room, he really don’t know how to act.      

           “Joonmyeon,  could you help me in the front. I have to handle table two and four. And um… new customer come,” Yifan standing next to him with a high pilling of plate  and cup.   

            Joonmyeon look up and see Yifan with his messy hair. All his damp hair  from a sweat sticking up near forehead. A long necklace chain dangling in his neck moved a little while he’s walking.  The rag skinny jeans wrapped his long leng. The black Adidas t’shirt underneath the apron  make him look so delicious. A Joonmyeon glup in silence.  It almost like an electrick  shock when their hand accidently bump in the sink. Joonmyeon  can smell scent of his cologne.

            “Oh …so-sorry,”  Joonmyeon  place all the cup and dried his hand.  He walking and look down to the floor. He almost hit he door.

            “ God, Joonmyeon  are you okay?” 

            Joonmyeon  nod and walk to the front. He can feel his face burning. Kim Joonmyeon why you’re so awkward, he cursed himself.

 

 

                                                                                   

 

            Joonmyeon glad that  lunch time is coming. It’s a busy time! Althought not as hetic as Friday and Saturday, but all seats are full. Every one is too lazy to cook at home. Customers come to order a famous brunch set menu. This is  everybody’s favorite. There’s also the 15 % discount if you order for two person or more.

            Joonmyeon help to check Yifan’s  arrange  all  the set menu correctly.  One big plate for tomato and basil quiche, a bowl of onion soup with croutons and cheese on top, small plate of apple or melon in slices and a cup of hot beverage. Most customers prefer espresso but few others like a hot tea.  They have to serve fast and right. You never know how a hungry people do if they have to wait too long. 

           Minseouk make sure every brunch set menu being serve less than 10 minutes.  Joonmyeon thanks for that rule. He and Yifan have no time for useless chit chat. They need to back and forth to the kitchen as fast as possible.  Before leaving, Jongdae already cut all the quiche in pretty slices and prepared a big basket of croutons to make the job easier.

            By the 2 o’clock everything start slowing down. Now customers prefer to order something light. Pastries or a hot beverage. There’s only three customers sitting and enjoy their drink.  

            Yf sit near the television with a hand support his head. Actually he want to sit down on floor in the kitchen just to released his cram leg. But, now, he just happy lift his leg to the seat in front him. Inside the shoes he wiggle his toe to release the tension.

            He peek with corner of eyes to wacth Joonmyeon. That boy standing in front cashier desk and do a counting.  Unbelievable, he’s still working!

            Yifan try his luck to start a conversation.

            “I’m going to make a coffee. Do you want some?” Yifan tap Joonmyeon shoulder.

            Joonmyeon look shock. He blinks a little. 

            “ Th- thanks.  But I’m not drink coffee.”

            “ I can make an espresso or latte or cappuccino, pro-bab-ly?” his voice became unsure.

            Joonmyeon still not look interest of the offer. For the first time he think he failed as waiters. This special customer doesn’t like any thing!

            “ I think I just need a water. If you don’t mind,” Joonmyeon subtly smile.

            “No problem. I don’t really want drink a coffee too,” Yifan grin. He sure he look like a stupid. What Yixing said about Joonmyeon echoing in his head. Maybe Yixing only teasing him.  

            After failed conversation, Yifan back to his place and watch the news. The last customer already leave. They’re having nothing else to do.  Yifan head nod slowly and falling asleep.

            Joonmyeon still behind a cashier desk. He watch Yifan face intensely. Noone  would believe that he only several meters from the most favorit basket ball player in college.

           Yifan mumble something in his sleep, moving a little to place his head in more comfortable position on table. Joonmyeon come closer to take a empty glass near Yifan’s  hand. Funny how this guy have different kind of expressions. When he played basket he has this cool and intimidating aura that scare away the opponent. When he serve the customer, his wide gummy smiles give the most adorable smile which can melt your heart instantly. Now, he sleeping.  He turn into giant cute dragon with eyes close and mouth slighly open which remain him of  Toothless dragon. Joonmyeon wish he bring a blanket.

 

 

                                                                                       

 

 

            It’s almost 5 o’clock. Shop about to close. Most the utensil has been washed by Yifan. Joonmyeon  only need to wash a few cups on the sink. He about to do mop the floor when Yifan wake up. 

            “ What time is it?” Yifan stretch out his arm and let a big yawn.

            Television is turn off. The table are clean and all chairs are place upside down on table. Suddenly he remember he still on working shift. He stand up fastly.  “Oh God, I’m sorry I’m falling a sleep!”

            Joonmyeon ,again, give him a nice smile.

            “Let me do the sweep and mop,” Yifan take a bucket and mop.

            Joonmyeon nod and walk to the kitchen. He need to check and writing down all the left over pastries and breads.

            In short time Yifan finish mopping all the place. He put the cleaning supplies in the corner. Take off the apron and wear his jacket. His shift is done.

              In the kitchen Yifan hestitate. Should he wait or going home now? Joonmyeon still writing down something. Maybe he should offer him walking to the bus shelter together.  He doesn’t mind wait couple a minute.

              “Joonmyeon,  do you… “

             “It’s okay. I still have sometime to do. You can leave first,” Joonmyeon answer without let Yifan finish his words.

            Yifan rub his nape awkwardly.  “Alright, then. Um… see you.”

            Joonmyeon nod and smile.

               Yifan close the door and walking to the bus shelter. He still in doubt. The sky turn into dark. It’s going to rain. He remember Joonmyeon wearing thin clothes. What if the rain falling  and Joonmyeon not bring an umbrella? He  will got sick.  ‘Okay I’ll be waiting near the door and offer him a jacket,’ He decided. 

                Yifan  walking back to the shop and wait near back door. Joonmyeon will  lock the back door like Minseok  always do every time he closed the shop.  He wait and wait. Thirty minute passed. Yifan peek from a window. Light still on but he can’t see Joonmyeon at all.  He knock several time. No one answer.  He pushed the door and suprisely, it’s not locked. He walk inside.

              “Joonmyeon.  Are you still here? ” 

              Still, no answer. Yifan heart beat faster.

              He turn on another light to give him a better view of the kitchen. He called Joonmyeon name again. This time louder. He looked around and gasp.  There’s Joonmyeon  curling on the floor.

            “Joonmyeon what happen? Are you okay?”  Yifan  shake his shoulder. No reaction. Yifan pat Joonmyeon's cheek lightly. He shudders because it’s really cold. Joonyeon groan. Put his hand on temple and try to sit up but fail.  He really weak even to open his eyes. All look blur and spinning. Suddenly  a strong hand slipped under his knee and arms. He’s being carried to the sofa.  Slowly Joonmyeon open his eyes.  Yifan sit next to him look really worried.

              “Are you okay?” Yifan hand support his back. He placed a backpack as a pillow.  Joonmyeon whisper thank you weakly and close the eyes. Strong light make him dizzy again.  

            “ What happen?” Yifan put his hand on Joonmyeon forehand. Cold and slightly sweat. Yifan take off his jacket to cover Joonmyeon body.

            “It’s nothing I’m just bit dizzy,” Joonmyeon finally have a strength to speak.

            “ Do you need something?”

          Joonmyeon shake his head. “I just need lay down a bit. I’ll be fine.”

            Yifan still not sure. Joonmyeon has been working non stop  since morning. When he come an hour before opening time, Joonmyeon already here and busied with his textbook.  Jongdae said Joonmyeon is the first one who come to the shop early in the morning.

            “Here, drink it,” Yifan hand him a warm water. 

           Joonmyeon hand trembling a little so Yifan hold the glass until it reach the lips to help him drink it slowly.

            “ When the last time you eat?”

          Joonmyeon groan. He forgot having his meal again. He has a last meal yesterday and this morning only a cup of hot chocolate.  

           “ You need some thing to eat,” Yifan walk to the refrigerator. There’s a bacon,egg, tomato and letucce.  There’s some left over bread on the table too. “I’ll make  you a sandwich,  okay. “

          He’s not a best cooker but simple sandwich is his masterpiece. Every one like it include Joonmyeon . Yifan cut the sandwich in four slices and feed him. Joonmyeon feel really embarrassed.  But he really don’t have any strengthen to move his hand.  Yifan seem doesn’t mind at all. In fact he sit and watch Joonmyeon  chew with concern eyes. He smile in relief when Joonmyeon  eat  all the sandwich.

              “That’s the best sandwich I ever eat. Thank you, Yifan.”

             Yifan  grin widely.  Joonmyeon said his name.

 

---------

      And this is the chapter  three. Enjoy the story. ^^