First day of working

You're my bright star

        Yifan scratch  his head while holding a big menu with alien words written on it. He never known how to pronouce it let alone know the meaning. It’s in French!  From all of four  languages he can speak well, why French?

            “Yo, Yifan, table six like to order!” Luhan smack his arm lightly. “I’m handling table five.”

            Luhan  holding another menu and walk really fast to the  customer’s table. He explain with smile and write on a small note in his hand.

            Yifan still standing and watching from the corner. Look again to big menu.  He feel like a stupid kid who ask to read in front of class by the teacher.

         

          This is his first day working in coffee shop. Correction, Minseouk will piss if his  boulangeri & patisserie being called a coffee shop. But from interior or food sell in here, Yifan 100% sure it’s the similar with coffee shop.

           “We are not  coffee shop. That’s a huge diferrent! All the foods here are  taste really french with recipe pass down from my mother. People will enjoy the same taste like any boulangeri & patisseries in street of Cour du Commerse Sait Andre, Paris, “ Minseok explain proudly when they first time met.

             Le belle boulangeri & patisseries  is new branch which just open a year ago. The first one and very famous is situated in down town and run by Miseouk parent. This new branch  target a new market;  young generation and college student. All interior are desain very chic and trendy with free wi-fi. Open on week end until 2 am. The person who in charge in here slash the owner slash the master baker is Kim Minseouk.  He just finish study from patisseries school in Paris.  He also hold a barista cetificate. His greeting warm smile is one of charm of this place too.  Customers often peek to kitchen window just to see how this master crafting his baking.  Since day one  this place  already  a favorite among students. They spend hours sipping a coffee and enjoy different kind of  pretty delicated food  or Minseok proudly  said patisseries. Wait, how to pronounce it correctly? Again, Yifan  scrach his head.

 

              Yifan feel bit trapped. Luhan didn’t said  anything at all about what kind of place he will dealing with. He only said there’s a vacant job for waiters. All he has to do is take an order and serve the food.  Considering he need a money immediately he said yes  without thinking too much. He need extra money to repair his car. He doesn’t have a heart ask his mother. His mother already send him enough money every month so he can have a decent life as a college student. Not any student can stay in beautiful  appartement with balcony plus a car. Yes, it’s second hand one but he more than grateful to take it. His campus only ten  minutes by riding a car. Definitely a life saver for a person who have a problem wake up in the morning. So, yeah, here he is. Trying to do job properly on first day. Hopefully he won’t get fired.

 

                Luhan look at Yifan and move his head to the table with three students who waiting impatiently. Yifan has to face it. Like it or not.

               “Ready to order?”

              Obviously  they’re a regular and know  exactly what they like to order without asking for the menu.

            “ One expresso and brioce.”

            “ Latte and chicken croissant no, wait. Latte and  cheese quice.”

            “  Hot chocolate and vanila enclare.”

            Yifan try as much as possible to cacth any ‘alient’ words. He can only  hear chocolate, expresso and latte.  Glance a little to big menu on his hand try to deciper what kind of  food those customer said. He want them to repeat the order but  they already busied with laptop and phone.

           

                                                                          

 

            In the kitchen Jongdae, the assistant baker , peek behind Yifan shoulder.  He graduate from high school and decided to postpone a college study  to be Minseouk apparentice. He introduce himself as prodigy baker and give a warm  welcome hand shake as soon as Luhan took Yifan a tour in the kitchen. Jongdae  assure that  Yifan’s going to have a lot of fun in here. Jongdae watch Yifan standing in front of display food blankly.

            “ What kinf of food they order?”

            “ Um… I think they order…. Um.. “ Yifan handed a note to Jongdae. The boy laugh really hard as he read what written on the note.

            “ How come they order a ‘claire’ and ‘kiss’? Are you sure? ”

            “I guess that what I hear.” Yifan definitely not sure at all.

            “ Impossible. We don’t have that kind of food. You have to read menu correctly!”

            “I can’t,” Yifan whine.

            “ How come? It’s very simple French. Every one know it,” said Jongdae shaking head disbelieve.

            “ Terrible sorry. I don’t. Could you help me to go them and ask again?”

            “No way! I’m in charge in kitchen and you're  in front!”

            “Please… “ Yifan claps his hand together and bow a little as a way of begging.

            “ Cheese quice, vanila enclair and brioce for table six. Who’s in charge there?” a soft voice come from the door.

            Yifan glup. Does he see a little angel? There’s a standing very adorable, delicate and tiny  young man with innocent smile and pinky cheek. His dark black bang cut right upper the thick eyesbrow that match with his warm eyes. He dressed simple with red and white stripe sweater, a blue collar peeking underneath the sweater. He wear light blue washed jeans, slightly tore in right knee.  Backpack strapped tighly in both shoulder  and his righ hand holding a book in front of the chest like elementary kid on first day of school.

            Jongdae pointing  his finger to a giant figure next to him.  Yifan wave his hand awkwardly as if to inform the angel, where he is standing.

            “Hyung, this is Wu Yifan. He’s doing temporary job as waiter. I think he going to the same college as you do. Yifan, this is my favorite hyung. Myeonmyeon,” Jongdae introduce him. Joonmyeon glare a Jongdae  in protest. “I mean. Kim Joonmyeon,” he corrected it.

            Yifan  offer his hand for hand shaking. His hand already half in the air but Joonmyeon only bow polite. He put his hand to fix his hair in awkward.

            “Nice to meet you. This is my first day, please guide me.”

            “ Nice to meet you. Let me do it.”

            Yifan say thank you almost audible. He just lost all the cool. Noone ever make him so stunned and mesmerize like today.

             Joonmyeon walk on the corner to put his backpack in locker and wear a white apron decorated with with small bunny pin immediately. He work really fast; brewing all the beverage, pour in the cup, put a small plate, little teaspoon, three pastries, and small folded tissue. Everything arrange so neat and beautiful.  Joonmyeon turn his head,nod politely and walk to the customer.

            “Why  Myeon serve a table six? He just arrived. His shift hasn’t begin yet,” Luhan enter the room with empty cup and plates pilling in the tray.

            “Some one just can’t read,” Jongdae snort.

            Yifan scratch his head in embarrass.  “Lu, you have to help me.”

            Luhan shake his head. Put the empty cup  and plates in the sink and rolled his sleeve up.  Yifan not give up. He’s holding a note and shove a big menu to Luhan face. He really need his friend  to read all the menu. He will write it down and memorize it.

            “I have a lot to do,” Luhan stubbornly refuse.

            Yifan still insist and follow every where Luhan move around the kichen.  Jongdae lean on the table in amuse and enjoy the view. Yifan really like a lost puppy.

            “ What’s going on here? I need someone at the front, ” Minseok suddenly standing in front of the door. He mostly spend a time in kitchen. But this week, he has to divide his time in front house since the manager, Yixing, on sick leave.  It’s kind of hetic day. He has to back and forth between serving a customer and checking all breads that Jongdae made in the kitchen. He seriously need some back up in the front.

            The three employee  turn the head at the same time to the door.

            “Blame Yifan. He can’t even read a menu,” Luhan said.

            Minseok take a menu from Yifan hand.  He knew he should get rid of an old dummy long time ago. At least hide it in his room so noone ever misused it.

            “I don’t understand French! “ Yifan frustated.

            “ Guys, stop trolling him!” Minseok shake his head and arm folded.     

            “Terrible sorry. I will learn French imediately,” Yifan apologies. The prospect of losing a job is almost near.

            “ Don’t worry about it. You don’t have to understand French. Everything both written in French and Hangul. Here’s the menu!” Minseouk handed him another menu. The bigger glossy one. All written in French, Hangul with  picture. It’s really easy for every one to understand it.  That’s completely different from what Luhan give to him before. Luhan and Jongdae laugh echoing the kitchen.

            “ Now go. Table three is waiting,” Minseouk smile.

 

                                                                            

 

            Everything goes smooth afterward. Minseok warned him beforehand, the shop always fully seat. That’s why he need an extra waiter to handle the customers. After he serve one table, put all the empty utensil in kitchen, a new customer come.  He take an order, clean a table, the another customer come, take another order and so on until his shift almost ended.

            Yifan drop his body on kitchen floor. His long legs spread widely. He can’t feel his feet. He never know working as waiter could be this exhausted.

          Jongdae still busy baking. Pouring a flour on batter and whistle a song happily.  “ Tired,eh?” he ask.

            Yifan nod and stand up slowly. Now he’s thirsty but he can’t find a glass. He hestitate to ask the troll boy. Yifan look around try to finding by himself.

            “ What are you looking for?”

            “ Nothing. Just looking around.”

            “ Glass on second cupboard over your head.  There’s a ice water or ice tea in refrigerator too,” he said.

            Yifan ignore him.

            Then Joonmyeon come in. Place an empty cup in sink. In tip toe he take a glass from cupboard, open a refrigarator, pour an ice water. He’s standing near Jongdae.

           Yifan follow Joonmyeon act and enjoy his ice tea.

            Jongdae snort, “Why you’re not believe in me?”

            “ And why should I?” Yifan snapped back. 

            “Hey, I’m a good boy, righ hyung?” Jongdae turn to Joonmyeon ask for confirmation.

            “Yes you are,” Joonmyeon nod. His finger nibble a batter before Jongdae smack his palm.

             “ You better eat the cooked one.  I’m just baking a madeleine. Here’s take a bite,” he placed a baking tray  on a table in front Joomyeon who without hestitate take one piece. He let a loud hiss because of the heat.

            “Hyung, it’s still hot! Be patient,” Jongdae use a tip of knife to loosen madeleine from tray and put it in plate.  Joonmyeon accept it happily . Like little kid who can’t wait for yummy food, he blow couple time before take a bite. His eyes crickles as soon as the food enter the mouth.  Chewing in fast speed  then  his mouth open a little because its heat still burn his tounge. His left hand waving vigorously in front the mouth  to get rid the heat.  He do another bite and chew happily. “ My gosh, Jongdae, it’s really delicious. You getting better make it.”

            Jongdae smile widely.

            “ Can I have another one,” Joonmyeon eyes glued to a tray.

            Jondae  laugh. That’s why he loves Joonmyeon as food taster. His expression tells it all.

            Yifan pretend to concentrate on his ice tea but he intensely peeking his co-worker between the glass. Well, mostly his attention to Joonmyeon who eating second madeleine with head move right and left enjoying every bite.

            “ You want some?” Jongdae handed another plate to him.

            Yifan say thank you and take a bite. He never eat the shell shape cake before but indeed it’s really delicious.

            “I hope Minseok hyung let my madeleine on display next week,” Jongdae said.

            “ I’m sure he will,” Joonmyeon smile.

            “ Yeah, it’s delicious. I agree with Joonmyeon,” said Yifan.

            Joonmyeon look shocked when Yifan mention his name. As if it’s an alarm to remind that he still on working shift ,Joonmyeon take an empty tray, “I have to back to the front. Thank you Jongdae that’s really delicious,” he walk briskly to the door.

            Yifan stunned. Did he just said something wrong?

 

-------------

    Well, thi is a first chapter. Hope you enjoy it.  Sorry for the grammar error. Comment always welcome. And thank you for spending your time reading this fic. ^^