Breaking World - Chapter 10

Breaking World

Namstar stood motionless.  He felt as if someone had ripped out his still beating heart and trampled all over it.  He felt the agonising pain of a thousand deaths.  He felt the world around him crumble into nothing.  The one he promised to protect. The one he loved, was the leader of the Yong clan.  Why?  Why is it you?

Sunggyu, finely dressed in a suit, stepped forward with two bodyguards by his side.  Namstar recognised them as the same two men he saw following them.  He had thought they were after him, but in actual fact they were guarding their boss.

"Rumour has it," said Sunggyu as he ed his jacket and loosened his tie.  He looked at the three masked men.  "That the Commissioner set up an elite group of killers to rid society of people like us."  He gestured to himself and his men.  "If not for him, my father would still be alive.  If not for him, I would never have been forced down this path."

Namstar wanted to call out to him.  There was so much he wanted to say but the words were caught in his throat as tears formed in his eyes.

"I will hunt you all down," Sunggyu declared, eyes full of rage.  "Every last one of you."

Namstar closed his eyes as the tears leaked from their corners.  He finally realised that the night of the fireworks when Sunggyu was waiting for him, was the night he set out to kill his father.  The sad realisation that he himself had caused Sunggyu's suffering made his heart ache a thousand fold.

Sunggyu gave the orders with a nod of his head.  The group of men charged towards the three members from all directions.  Sunggyu glanced at his watch.  Almost time, he thought. 

Hoya and Kenya were quick to block all the attacks, however Namstar did not move a muscle.  His eyes were fixated on Sunggyu.

"Idiot!  Snap out of it!" Hoya shouted.

He fired a shot killing one of the men on Namstar's left.  Namstar did not even flinch.

"That's it!" said Hoya in frustation.  He turned his attention to Sunggyu who had started to walk back to his car.  Hoya ran over and aimed his gun in Sunggyu's direction.

"No!" Namstar realised what was happening and without thinking he ran in between them, facing Hoya, pleading with him.

Hoya held his fire when he saw Namstar in his line of sight.  Sunggyu heard the commotion behind him and turned back to find Namstar turning to face him with a sword in his hand.

Without warning, Sunggyu drew out his gun, aimed it at him and pulled the trigger.

Namstar dropped his sword to the ground and closed his eyes as he waited for the end.  If he was to die he would rather it be by the hands of the one he loved.

He heard the sound of a shot but he did not feel the impact.  He opened his eyes and noticed the gun was no longer in Sunggyu's hand.  He noticed Sunggyu's glare directed behind him.  Namstar turned to find Hoya pointing his gun in their direction.  He realised Hoya had fired the shot and knocked the gun out of his Sunggyu's hand.  He breathed a sigh of relief, grateful that Hoya did not harm Sunggyu.

The moment of relief was short lived when Namstar felt the cold steel rip through his body.  He looked down at his sword embedded in his abdomen.  Blood gushed out as the blade plunged deeper.