Chapter Five

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

{ chapter five }

fam bam?

“It’s nice to meet you, Jin Hee. You’re a beautiful young woman!” the woman named Lin kissed her cheek and held her elbows, “Eric, Soo Yeon, the great genes don’t really run low on your family, huh?”

Soo Yeon chuckled, “Now, now, Lin, don’t talk like you don’t have a handsome son and gorgeous daughter!”

Jin Hee’s heart was pounding like crazy.

She thought that they’ll take the news of her existence badly, but then, in a world where infidelity occurs, it’s not shocking news anymore. What really matters to the society is how you’ll handle and take responsibility.

society.

She saw Baek Hyun talking to his brothers and heard a ‘what’s up’ from him. It became like a catchphrase of him. Jin Hee thought she was just going to awkwardly stand in there and watch the legit families get closer, until a young woman approached her.

“Hello.”

Jin Hee immediately faced the woman who had the Mayor’s features, and she was beautiful. Her eyes were lighter, almost brown and different to Baek Hyun’s, but her black hair shone under the chandelier lights and her porcelain white skin stood out.

“Hi.” Jin Hee shook hands with her.

“You’re Mr. Lee’s daughter? I thought it was just Se Hun and Chan Yeol…”

The girl that looked years older than her was straight and frank. Jin Hee wasn’t bothered. After all, she was already used to Se Hun’s blunt hatred and Alex’s shameless and explicit mouth.

“Yes. Originally, it’s just them. They’re the legitimate, and I’m the illegitimate so I’m that new character in the story.” She shrugged and smiled. The girl lowly chuckled.

The elders called them to the dining room and the two young women walked together, side by side.

The other girl nodded, “Oh, it’s okay. I’m Na Young, by the way, Baek Hyun’s sister,” she smiled, “How come I’ve never seen you here? I mean, we’ve had occasions like this before.”

They sat on the table. On one end were Eric and his family, and on the other was Byun Ji Soo the other Byuns.

“Uh, my mom just died last year so that’s how I ended up here,” she sheepishly smiled. Na Young was about so say sorry when she interrupted her, “It’s okay, I’ve moved on anyways.”

“Looks like the two of you are getting along well,” commented Lin.

Na Young nodded, “It’s about time I have a girl friend whenever we come here. I’m getting tired hearing the boys brag about their daily lives.” She jokingly rolled her eyes, causing the elders to chuckle. She was known for being mildly frank.

“Yeah?” Chan Yeol grinned at her, “Says the girl who boasted her School of Fashion and Arts admission letter all night.”

“It was worth boasting, Chan.”

Soon, they were eating while talking about things that Jin Hee had no idea about. She only got something from her father that his company would release a new car model next month, which was just around the corner, and also that coaster buses for tourists that the Mayor had asked him for.

That’s when she realized that his company was bigger than she thought.

Now, the facts about my real identity are extra sinking in.

Okay, deeper, deeepeer—alright, it’s official, I’m his daughter.

She stayed quiet most of the time since Na Young just kept complementing their grandma’s cooking. Besides, she had nothing to talk about and no one to talk to. The boys across her were eating quietly; if they’re talking they do it real quiet she was almost impressed.

Jin Hee glanced at Baek Hyun who looked he regained his composure after the sudden ‘freeze!’ moment. After the shock, of course there’s confusion and many, many questions. Baek Hyun started with asking by looking at her with ‘what-are-you-doing-here-you-little—!’ look on his face.

Jin Hee replied with a deadpanned look that said ‘are-you-stupid-im-his-daughter-and-this-is-where-I-live’.

Baek Hyun’s look: ‘no-way-!’

Jin Hee smugly grinned ‘yes-way’.

“Baek Hyun,” he turned to his caller, Eric, “my daughter mentioned that you guys are classmates.”

“Ah, yes, uncle,” Baek Hyun glanced at Jin Hee with a faint grin, “we’ve met and we’re actually good friends.”

Eric sent his daughter a look and she thought he was going to join their look conversation. Jin Hee simply cleared and smiled to Baek Hyun.

She may be smiling but her mind is full of: ‘what good friends you wit do friends constantly make you write abstract lines in your notes and make you sit on the floor and when the teacher comes in you have no choice but to pretend you’re practicing for your non-existing modeling gig’.

“Really?” it was the Mayor’s turn to look at Jin Hee, “so, dear, when’s the wedding?”

Jin Hee’s neck almost snapped when she looked at Baek Hyun’s father. Meanwhile, Eric choked on his drink, Na Young chortled, Baek Hyun coughed, and everyone else laughed.

Jin Hee put up her wondering face and grinned, “Hmm, good question, uncle,”

Byun Ji Soo heartily laughed and his wrinkles became visible. He nodded approvingly and looked at his son, “I like her for you, son.”

Bam! One point for Jin Hee!

She winked at Baek Hyun who glowered at her.

The dinner went smoothly with their occasional laughter and jokes. Jin Hee’s anxiety flew away with all the doubts in her head. She really just has that habit called over thinking, and it’s a bad one.

Really, really bad.

After dinner, Na Young bid goodbye saying that she needed to go home first and her unfinished works were waiting for her. Before leaving, she approached Jin Hee.

“It was nice meeting you, Jin Hee. Let’s spend time together in the future, okay?”

Jin Hee nodded and smiled, “Sure.”

“But when that time comes, I want our little Baek Hyun wrapped around your finger.” The older girl winked at the younger and said goodbye.

She could just shake her head.

Baek Hyun’s family is just as crazy as him.

The elders had settled in the living room; the patriarchs were, of course, talking about their roles in their businesses while the housewives discussed about some news about their ‘friends’.

More like, gossips.

Meanwhile, the boys decided to stay in the kitchen, sitting in the bar stools while drinking some beer they found in the refrigerator. The really good thing about the married couple is that they weren’t too strict to their kids; though they did a good job raising the two because they grew up disciplined and not abusive to their parents’ looseness about the rules.

Jin Hee leaned on the wall in the kitchen, behind her were the boys. She eavesdropped.

“I can’t believe it…” it was Baek Hyun’s voice. That moment, she was sure that she was their topic for their conversation.

“Pretty ing messed up, huh?” Se Hun scoffed and drank from his bottle of beer.

Chan Yeol shook his head, “Se Hun,” he sternly called, but the younger merely rolled his eyes, “come on, you’ve got to accept her. It’s been months, we can’t just ignore her forever!”

“I Don’t. Care.” Se Hun hissed, his eyes blazing with anger, “If you can talk to her and look at her for so long without thinking the sin Dad and her mother committed, then go ahead. I do not care. Just don’t expect me to do the same and don’t even try to recruit me to your Acceptance Party.”

“Watch your damn tone and words, Se H

Please log in to read the full chapter