Epilogue

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

Thank you. You mean a lot to me.

{ epilogue }

‘thankful’

Gosh darn it my back hurts.

Being a ing hero isn’t always rainbows, popularity and kindness; those are bull. It’s pain!

But what’s cool is to see my family unharmed.

“Careful, you may end up with a permanently scrunched up face,” Se Hun’s voice made me turn to him, “come on, a bullet wound isn’t that bad.” He jokingly said, his face obviously restraining a laugh.

I lessened the frown in my face and rolled my eyes, “You can laugh, Se Hun. Trust me, restrained laughs turn into farts.”

He finally exploded into laughter as he made a left, a new road coming into our view. The guy beside me was driving painfully slow, probably scared to hurt me like he hadn’t done that to me for months. No grudges though, it’s just funny and ironic.

It’s been days since I was discharged from the hospital and I could’ve dashed my way out if it wasn’t for the wheelchair they advised for me to use. No wheelchair, I’d be walking like an old person suffering from rheumatism, holding my painful lower back all the time. The painkillers sometime effect, sometimes they don’t.

ers really knew how to aim and shoot a gun.

I stayed at home for a week, not attending my class the whole weekdays, but Dwight might as well transfer our room to our home since the squad always goes to our house after classes and they’d stay until dinner. It was like auntie and dad had temporarily adopted seven kids. But overall, it was fun having them around. I don’t have to sit on my wheelchair or lie on my bed the whole day, scrolling through my phone or staring off to space, thinking if I’d be able to move up to twelfth grade, judging by the amount of my missed lessons and classes.

Thank God for the guy named Byun Baek Hyun who gave me notes. Bless that guy, even though he’s already blessed for having me.

Such confidence.

Over those days, I trained myself not to depend on wheelchair. Not that I loved the wheelchair they gave me. My wound would ache, but it’s nothing. I’ve been into worst.

Hitting your pinky toe on the doorframe, worst that is.

Chan Yeol would shriek in horror when he’d see me walking all by myself, with no wheelchair in help. He’d say nothing but he’ll dash to my room to get the damn thing and force me to sit on it. Seriously, he’s the Mother Hen of all the Mother Hens!

But seeing my oldest brother like that, I realized how lucky Na Young is. That girl better put a collar on him quick.

Se Hun would be caring in a subtle way. He’ll hide his good intentions under his witty and teasing remarks. Like for example, he’d say that I’m such a ing idiot for catching a bullet for him and acting like Wonder Woman when in fact I’m The Hulk but I’ll be tenderly tucked in bed and sleep with a pat on my head.

Yeah, Se Hun’s just like that, no need to worry.

As for Dad, he’s become extra protective after the incident, but—gladly—he got rid of the bulky men in suits, that apparently those were Uncle Ji Soo’s men. It’s not like we’ll need them anymore. Well, maybe if I can’t open a jar of peanut butter, I will need them.

I don’t hear some news about the old woman and her other sons. I’m not holding a grudge, it’s just that there’ll be a point in your life when you’ll realize that you can’t please everyone, and you have to avoid the people who hurt you or is against your happiness. It’s not being coward; it’s being wise, because your happiness comes first. But I did hear that Dad had talked to her.

Baek Hyun and I still haven’t visited my mom’s grave due to my wound, but I think we will today, after the classes, I'm not sure.

I guess I could say, my relationship with Baek Hyun has really stepped up. We still bicker a lot, but there are things that were added, and some of those we do them a lot more than we bicker, and it was weird yet refreshing. We stare into each other’s eyes, hold hands, random and stolen kisses on the cheek and forehead. Honestly, though I was damn confident on getting him back then, I still can’t believe we’re in this stage now. Cue Drake’s song.

Started from the bottom now we’re here! Started from the bottom now the—

I also didn’t expect it. Okay, maybe at times I did, but I didn’t hold onto that tightly. The past few months had the ‘go with the flow’ system in which we just go with what we feel, and fortunately, it resulted to some young sweet love, which I think I kind of deserve after all the bulls I’ve gone through. Like hey, give yourself some worth! You deserve it!

Today, Se Hun is the one driving me to school. He and Chan Yeol could’ve argued longer if it wasn’t for their own classes’ schedules. The oldest was acting like the youngest, stomping his foot and pouting like a kid. Se Hun, on the other hand, isn’t any much of a difference since he was sticking his tongue out to Chan Yeol’s direction when Dad was the one who decided who my driver will be for the week.

Seriously, am I the only sane one in our family aside from Auntie, Dad and Altair?

“I’m guessing Baek Hyun doesn’t like Lu Han that much?” Se Hun spoke and pressed the horn once when he passed by a familiar white car. Must’ve been Lu Han’s, judging by his sudden topic.

I chuckled, “He’s just jealous. I don’t know why, though.”

“It means Baek Hyun sees something in him that only he can see. That’s how us boys work sometimes.”

“Yeah? Like how we instantly know when a fake is around?”

It was his turn to laugh, “You could say that. Maybe Lu Han likes you.”

“Doubt it. Besides, it’s not even going to matter right now.”

“For Baek, it matters.”

“Then it’s his problem.”

Minutes later, we arrived at the school. The gold car we brought—Se Hun’s car—was kinda a new figure in the campus since it’s the original one, that’s why some heads turn when we arrived. Se Hun ran around his car like he’s fully recovered from the wound on his leg when in reality, he still hasn’t yet, he’s just stubborn. He helped me go down, and the first step felt like hell’s touch on my lower back, but I could handle it. I mean, am I not handling all things together already?

I watched as Se Hun’s car zoomed away. Actually, I’m just as stubborn as he is. I’m supposed to be resting for two weeks, or even longer, but boy ain’t nobody got time for skipping school and . I need to study! And I can almost memorize all the details of the wallpapers of my room!

It was still early, like thirty minutes before our classes start, so it wasn’t a surprise when my friends still haven’t arrived, but still, I looked around, hoping to see a familiar face.

“Hey, Jin Hee!” a voice echoed beside me and I turned to see who it is. Min Seok’s smiling face greeted me, “Good morning. You okay there? Do you need some help?”

I nodded, giving up, “Yeah, as much as I want to act independently and like I can handle myself, I honestly can’t because my back’s such a pain in the even though it’s not in the .”

“Here, I got you,” Min Seok offered his shoulder, which I wrapped my arm to for a support, and it was a big help, “well aren’t you a hardheaded one to be going here when you’re supposed to be resting.”

“I’m cool, Seok, don’t worry. I can take care of myself most of the time, but this isn’t most of the time. Besides,

Please log in to read the full chapter