Chapter Fourteen

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

{ chapter fourteen }

‘enough’

It was around eight p.m. when Baek Hyun dropped off Jin Hee their house. Their mushy attitudes long gone, and all was left was their usual bicker and small fights. How did they stand each other all throughout the day? I have no idea.

Suspiciously, even when they’ve gone to school for the photo booth and for a glimpse to the ongoing basketball game, Baek Hyun seemed to avoid bumping onto their friends. He was the one who lead their little escapade and bonding, and they hid well at the sea of people filling the food stalls. Jin Hee had wondered if their group of friends was busy watching the game in the gymnasium to not notice that Baek Hyun was already gone. But overall, they did not bump into any of them.

Except for Lu Han, who grinned slyly once he saw the two.

After a small talk between Jin Hee and the son of a Chinese senator, they got out of the campus. While in the ride, she thought that the only way to bring back the not-mushy Byun is through Lu Han’s sudden appearance.

It worked. It worked well that if Jin Hee had not poked the flesh out of Baek Hyun’s face, he wouldn’t crack a smile.

That soft smile that had her smiling too.

He is her escape.

“Byun, thank you.” Said Jin Hee and gratefully smiled to the boy beside her, in the driver seat, who saved her.

Baek Hyun nodded, “Call me when something like that happens again, okay?”

“Okay…”

“I’ll hold onto that. You promised me, Jin Hee.” He sternly said, afraid that if that happens again, she wouldn’t call him first.

She chuckled, “Yes, yes, I promise, Byun. And can you call me Lee again? You calling me Jin Hee makes my heart…” she bit her lip, “warm…”

Baek Hyun bit his lip too, to stop himself from smiling widely. He was happy to have that effect on her, now he knew that they’re on the same page. But biting his lip wasn’t enough, so he put his elbow to the window on his left and used his fist to cover his lips.

There goes that tingling feeling again, like someone’s poking their stomachs and they couldn’t help but to smile.

Jin Hee bid goodbye and got out of the car before anything sweet happens again. No, she couldn’t handle those yet. It would be the death of her.

After she watched Baek Hyun zoom away from their house, she opened the door to find her father and aunt in the living room. The man was pacing while trying to call someone, and her aunt was seated on the couch, looking worried and stressed about something.

“Auntie, Dad, what’s going on?” she asked, eyebrows furrowed.

Her father snapped his head to her, looking shocked and relieved at the same time. From her peripheral view, she could see Se Hun looking down at them from the second floor, but she did not spare him any glance. It was like she was angry and tired, but she was not looking for any more fights with him. She would stay quiet, and let him live his life his own way.

The man hugged her tightly while his wife stood up in front of her, sighing in relief.

“Where were you?! We were worried! I called the school and they said you weren’t there!” Eric flooded his daughter with questions.

Jin Hee blinked and scratched her head, “I… I was with Baek Hyun…”

The man’s face softened, realizing what just had happened between them, “You should’ve told me… Can I talk to you for a minute, dear?”

She immediately shook her head. She did not want to remember and talk about those again. “Dad, can we do it some other time? I’m tired…” she uneasily smiled.

“Yes, Chan Yeol, she’s already here. Come home now. Hey, hey, calm down, she’s okay.” Her aunt was talking to Chan Yeol on the phone.

“Alright, if you say so. Have you eaten yet?”

“No, dad. Thanks but I’m not hungry.”

She walked up to the stairs and entered her room without looking at anyone. Not even back at her dad, aunt, and her older brother who followed her every move with his eyes.

Her older brother who was feeling guilty, but did not know how to express his feelings, to say sorry, and to talk to her.

She almost passed out on her bed, if Chan Yeol hadn’t barged in, slamming the door open, eyes hard. Jin Hee knew it was him, judging by the loud and heavy footsteps she heard outside.

“Hey!” Chan Yeol yelled and jumped beside her, making the bed wave with the impact, “Where have you been?!”

“I was with Baek Hyun. Chill.” She casually answered while she stared up the ceiling like it was the most interesting thing she’d ever seen.

“Chill?! Are you kidding me woman? You know, I have this habit of thinking the worst case scenarios in my head whenever someone’s missing and I’m worried! Imagine me doing that while I’m driving!” Chan Yeol squished his sister’s face between his palms.

Jin Hee didn’t need to pout, “Sorry. I know, I should’ve called you blah blah but what’s important is I’m alive.”

Chan Yeol’s hands loosened and voice softened, “Hey, what happened today? Do you want to talk about it?”

She sat up and pursed her lips, “I don’t want to, Chan, just… just ask dad about it, or your brother. I just want to sleep right now.”

The older stayed silent for a second, but laid a kiss on his sister’s head and nodded, “Okay. Sleep well, little brat.”

The next morning, Jin Hee got down a bit later than her parents and brothers. She found them talking casually, like nothing happened, and instead of sitting down beside her aunt, she kissed her and her dad on the cheek.

“You’re not joining us?” Soo Yeon asked.

Jin Hee shook her head, getting two pieces of toasted bread, “No, auntie. I’m a bit late for school, I still have a basketball game to watch.”

“Are you sure? You didn’t eat last night.”

“I’m sure. Thank you.” She smiled.

Chan Yeol could’ve scolded her if she hadn’t got out of the house quickly and zooming out the village by her car. The stereo was so loud she thought she’s deaf once she’s out of the car, but overall, it was a good ride with her crazy lip-syncing every song she knew.

Thank God for tinted windows.

Before going to the gymnasium, Jin Hee passed by their class’s dessert stall. There, she saw her other classmates, including Stephanie, managing the stand. It was already the fourth day of the week and the booth’s sale has lessened, but it was still successful.

“Hey, Steph, how many more minutes until your duty’s over?” Jin Hee asked, plopping down the seat next to hers and getting a brownie in front of her.

“You need to pay for that,” Stephanie pointed to the pastry inside . She raised her wrist to look at her watch, “Thirty more minutes. Stay with m

Please log in to read the full chapter