Chapter Twelve

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

i just realized that having no internet for days can make me productive... i finished ch17 last night and that ch is hmm haha lmao i could double update!! depends on your feedbacks ;) anyways, thank you for reading this story! lovelovelove xx

{ chapter twelve }

‘fire’

When Jin Hee saw the unfamiliar faces in the living room, she knew it will be a long day ahead.

If you’re thinking about the game yesterday, they almost had it. But little Lee Jin Hee had to be tickled by Baek Hyun’s warm breath on her neck while he was carrying her. The result? She jumped out of his arms, causing them to lose. Competitive Byun Baek Hyun was not happy. At all.

Jin Hee, for an unknown reason, overslept and almost ran late. She was supposed to go to school to look over the booth for an hour, and then go watch Baek Hyun play basketball because it would be her first time to see him play.

“Lee Jin Hee! Seriously, we’ll both be late!” Chan Yeol yelled from downstairs, causing her to brutally open her closet.

“Five minutes, Chan! I got this!” she yelled back.

“You better! Na Young’s waiting for me, idiot!”

“Ah, !” she exclaimed and dashed for the door and popped her head out, “you can go without me! I’ll take my car!” Though I feel really lazy to bring my car today.

Whatever, it’s for the sake of my brother’s love life anyways.

“Alright!”

“Kids, why are you yelling at each other so early in the morning?” their dad’s voice echoed around the house.

Jin Hee laughed as she dressed up. It was like that sometimes. The deadpanned voice of their father was so funny to hear amidst all their hyped up voices.

She cursed again when her phone started ringing and it flashed ‘Jong In’. The class rep must be looking for that one assigned person to look over the booth. Instead of answering his call, she sent him a message that she’s already on the way.

She almost ran down the stairs, but stopped immediately when she saw five figures in the living room, all their heads turning to her. Her dad, aunt, Se Hun, and two men who squinted almost at the same time.

Jin Hee almost grunted, an uneasy feeling crawling up to her system. She wondered when this will ever end.

Or maybe, it won’t end at all?

Her father gestured for her to come to him, and she wordlessly did, heart pounding against her ribcages. There must’ve been non-existent holes on her body by the way the men looked at her, and when she had the courage to do the same, she saw the resemblance them and her father had.

Eric squeezed Jin Hee’s shoulder “Joon, Nam Hyun, this is Jin Hee, my daughter.” He introduced, and she bowed, stopping herself from almost dashing out of that tense scene.

“She looks she’s just around Se Hun’s age?” the man named Joon, spoke up.

“Se Hun’s a year older.”

“What, you screwed some woman when he was born? Eric, were you out of your mind? No wonder Mom is going nuts because of you and your…” the other man paused, and then ran a not-so-subtle disgusted look over Jin Hee, “mistake!”

“Look, Nam Hyun, Mother’s just shocked—“

“Soo Yeon! You’re defending this?” Nam Hyun exploded, causing him to shout at the woman in front of him, “Were you brainwashed by our cheating brother?!”

“Uncle, please watch your tone.” Se Hun butted in, his voice stern.

“Don’t tell me you’re with them?”

“I’m not defending her!” exclaimed Se Hun, “Just don’t yell at my mom and drag her into this! She’s also a victim!”

“Se Hun, stop it…”

“Look, Nam Hyun, I don’t know what’s the point of making this a big deal!” Eric argued, “Everything’s been done! I’m okay with my wife, we talked about everything, and my daughter’s here!”

“Cheating isn’t a big deal? Infidelity isn’t a big deal? Eric, what has gotten into you?! Did her of a mother still have you good, huh? What? Where is she now? I bet you’re still getting it with her—“

A gust of wind, then everything broke loose, including one man’s nose. Jin Hee just found the man named Nam Hyun on the ground while Eric punched him on the face. They quickly came to them and Jin Hee took all her energy to just pull her father away from her uncle to stop him from ruining his brother’s face. Soo Yeon and Jin Hee held Eric, while the other was held by Se Hun and Joon.

And by that moment, Se Hun was already shooting glares to her direction.

“What, Eric? Guilty? I hit a nerve, didn’t I?” Nam Hyun spitted blood on the floor then snorted, “You still punch like a little girl.”

“Nam Hyun, can you stop it?! We’re not teenagers anymore!” Joon scolded his brother, “You’re older than him!”

“Don’t get me started with who’s older and who’s not. This man needs a wakeup call.”

“And don’t forget that I’m still older than all of you. Stop this.”

“My mother’s dead, sir,” Jin Hee spoke, not meeting anyone’s eyes and her hands on her father’s arms tightened, “if you’re really that desperate to know.”

“Jin Hee!” Se Hun hissed. It was the first time he said her name, and it was unfortunate that it had to be under these circumstances.

“Mom’s right, the girl has some guts to act like a victim.”

“Sir, in such a mature age, why do you have to act immaturely?” Jin Hee composedly said, now keeping a brave eye contact, “Why do you have to be affected like I just ruined your life, when in all honesty, this is the first time I’ve seen you?”

“Young lady, you clearly do not understand how the world we live in works. This is not some street gossip. We’re talking about image and moral!”

Jin Hee snorted, feeling numb, “Funny, you’re talking about moral when you don’t even have that, judging from what your mouth’s been saying all day.”

It was like the day when they ate lunch at their grandmother’s house. The adrenaline flowing through her veins was unstoppable, as well as from speaking out what her mind supplies; raw emotions and sharp words that got her

Please log in to read the full chapter