Chapter Eighteen

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

{ chapter eighteen }

‘here’

Something was off.

Jong In felt something tickling his guts in a bad way, something bothering him nonstop. The sweating of his palms wouldn’t stop, together with the constant swirling of his stomach, and he knew he was nervous. He was anxious, about something he couldn’t point out. Was it the essay that was due tomorrow yet he still hasn’t started it? Was it the upcoming exams?

None of it was the right answer. It was something deep that he couldn’t reach to see. Jong In looked around him, trying to hold himself with the familiar couple of faces he sees. The boy was already used to attending these kinds of event, his friendly and approachable personality putting to use.

The classical faint music in the background was supposed to relax him because the soothing violin was also doing its job to others. The banquet was calm yet gently buzzing with utensils clanking and hushed chatting. The tanned boy was alone, sitting in his seat on the round table. The dinner was already over, and he wasn’t in the mood to approach some acquaintances because of the jumpy feeling. He couldn’t stop the movement of his right foot, tapping and shaking, trying to shake off the anxiety but to no avail.

Seems like he wasn’t the only one. Baek Hyun, on the other hand, kept texting him, asking for updates on how Jin Hee was doing. Jong In kept replying correspondingly, and once he’s done, he’d then tap his phone screen.

The boy was transparent; anyone who’d watch him intently could tell he’s tensed about something.

Yet one face washed his worries away; Jin Hee’s.

When he saw her laughing with Chan Yeol on their table, Jong In was suddenly reminded that there’s nothing to worry about. Her smile shone the brightest, among all the smiles inside the hall, because so far, it was the most genuine he’d seen. There’s always something about her luscious, contagious laugh that could make anyone’s day, including his. Jin Hee is that one laid-back lady in their busy and fast-paced world. She could not do anything for a day, and still wouldn’t miss a thing because the girl would always find a way to get something. Seems like the death of her mother changed her; fortunately, for the better.

Jong In stared at the girl and unconsciously smiled. He was about to stand up and join the siblings when a guy took the seat on his right, therefore blocking his view. The face of the great Lu Han greeted his eyes.

“You like Jin Hee?” the older directly asked, a sly smile resting on his lips.

Jong In defensively inched away from him, eyebrows meeting, “What?”

Lu Han laughed while settling himself comfortably on the chair, not caring if his maroon suit gets crumpled, “Kim Jong In, anybody can see through you.”

The younger grunted, “Then why did you even ask…”

“Assurance.” Lu Han answered, “And to see your reaction. It must be hard seeing a friend of yours gets the girl you like.”

Jong In rolled his eyes but did not say anything further. He was in no mood to humor the older any longer.

From afar, the Lee family stood up. The adults started to bid goodbyes to their friends and some acquaintances nearby. Jong In waved goodbye to Jin Hee when the latter turned to him and waved. He didn’t get to go to them because they seemed in a hurry. But what bugged him was they left Soo Yeon in the hall and only Eric and his daughter and sons were the ones who went outside. Jong In immediately texted Baek Hyun that they already left.

Jong In: Baek they already left

Jong In: But they left Aunt Soo Yeon here I don’t know whats happening

Baek Hyun: Maybe she asked to be left you know women and their gossiping habits

Jong In: Idk

The boy knew everything’s going weird when the main doors of the hall closed as soon as the Lees got out. He even heard the other possible entrances being closed, and two armored men guarded each door. Jong In slowly stood up to see the situation.

“Dude, what’s happening?” he asked Lu Han, eyes looking around.

The older shook his head, “I honestly don’t know.”

There was a single sound of a gun outside, a piercing ‘bang’, and then, it was followed by many of it. The people jumped in shock, others—especially those who were near by the entrance—automatically lowering their bodies in fear. Jong In’s head snapped to the main doors that was heavily guarded and widened his eyes in realization.

“, Jin Hee!” he was about to dash for the doors carelessly when his father stopped him and held his both arms tightly.

“Son, Jong In, calm down!” the man exclaimed.

“Dad!” Jong In cried, “Jin Hee’s outside with her brothers and father! My friend’s there!”

“It’s because this is their plan!” his father harshly whispered, “and very few of us knows it! Now stay calm and pray for their lives instead! They’ll be alright!”

Jong In’s lips trembled in anger and fear as he looked to the direction from where the sounds were coming from. His heart had never been beaten this fast before in worry, and he couldn’t stop from tapping his foot on the floor. They’re squeezed away from the entrance in a minute, women quivering from fear and shock. His eyes flew to Soo Yeon, who was being comforted by his mother.

Jong In fished his phone from his pocket and successfully dialed Baek Hyun’s number, despite his shaking hands. Baek Hyun answered after two rings.

“Jong In? Why—hey what’s going on? What are those sounds?”

“Baek! There’s a situation outside! Polices and some terrorists are exchanging fires!”

“What?! Why would they—oh !” Baek Hyun shouted over the phone, “Where’s Jin Hee?! Where are the Lees?”

“That’s the thing, Baek!” Jong In paused, hearing a shattered glass from afar, “It started when they went outside! The doors are guarded and it’s pooling with police here!”

“Holy , holy …” there was a shuffle and Jong In guessed his friend was now pacing in panic and worry, “! !”

“Sir, can we refrain from making phone calls right now? It may compromise the operation.” A man approached Jong In and the latter sighed in exasperation. What should he do? Just wait for the standoff to be finished?

“Hey, Baek Hyun, I’ll call you later.” Jong In said then ended the call. Baek Hyun wasn’t responding anyways.

Jong In was left with his family and the other guests panicking and calming each other. He was left with the feeling of hope and horror. And when he sat on his chair to bite his nails, he waited.

He dreadfully waited.

 

Baek Hyun clutched his phone tightly that he almost crushed it with his own hand if he hadn’t thrown it to the bed. He thought of actually throwing it to the wall to hear the satisfying crack of the thing, but he wondered how would Jong In call him back if his phone’s broken?

So he chose the fluffy bed instead of the solid wall.

Baek Hyun paced inside his bedroom, his right hand playing his lower lip, min

Please log in to read the full chapter