Chapter Nine

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

{ chapter nine }

‘plan b’

“I honestly thought Jin Hee would mess this up, dad,” said Chan Yeol at the back seat of his car, “but she’s really good at it. So far, we still haven’t felt the need of calling 911.”

“Chan Yeol, you’re forgetting that she’s a Lee. It just runs in the blood.” Their dad chuckled in the shotgun seat.

Jin Hee drove carefully around the village using her brother’s car. Though she lacks some sleep, she still managed to get all the things her dad taught her about the car and how can you drive it. It also surprised herself that she could drive so well. Maybe it was because she already knew how to drive a motorcycle, which gave her a little heads up for the controls, though they’re very much different.

“Hey Chan Yeol, what would you do if I crash this to a post?”

“Make dad disown you.”

She laughed even more. Now, she could fully understand the sparkle of sadness in her father’s eyes when he said that Chan Yeol was not usually quiet and distant. He was definitely a giant ball of sunshine and the number one mood maker in the household. Whenever he is around, there’s no such thing as a quiet and peaceful life.

“Where did Se Hun go though? It’s only nine in the morning, and it’s a Saturday.” She asked.

“Soccer practice, of course.” Her brother sighed.

“Maybe Se Hun wants that most valuable player award,” Jin Hee chuckled and took a right, “he’s been practicing too much. He must hate me that much that he’d rather overwork himself than to see me every day.”

“Watch the clutch, Jin Hee,” her father beside her commented, “and just give him some more time. I’m sure he’ll open up.”

Jin Hee glanced at her brother at the back through the mirror. He just shrugged but kept his eyes on his phone, like he wasn’t agreeing with his father. She only kept quiet, beside she had been giving Se Hun all the time in the world, it’s up to him if he uses it to actually reflect on the situation or just ignore it.

Driving was sure tiring, but fun. It feels like strolling through the whole village but not actually using your hundred percent energy, but also feels like burning your and breaking your wrists. Eric told her that beginners often experience it, but when you get used to it, it will be child’s play for you to drive.

When the three arrived at their house, Chan Yeol exhaled loudly.

“My car is now safe!” he exclaimed while he looked up the ceiling and raised his hands, “Praise the Lord!”

Jin Hee hit his arm, “Shut up. We didn’t get into any accidents today, fortunately.”

“Lady Luck was on our side.”

She snorted upon hearing the words ‘Lady Luck’, “Lady Luck… right, that sinful song.”

Jin Hee went upstairs to take a quick shower and dress up. In an hour, after Se Hun gets home, they’ll go to their grandmother’s house. She bit her lip; it’ll surely be one of those moments again where she needs to defend herself. Jin Hee thought that she’ll be finally able to know where Se Hun got his insulting skills.

Mom, if you’re watching another drama up there, forget that lame , watch me instead. She sighed, much better than the stupid dramas on television.

After dressing up, she killed time by aggravating Baek Hyun through texts.

Jin Hee: Byun you free today?

Baek Hyun: Why

Baek Hyun: Sorry I got a date today

Jin Hee: Bull! No seriously are you free

Jin Hee: You’re going to be my plan b if everything goes south today

Jin Hee: HSHSHSH plan b! plan byun! HAHA

Baek Hyun: what do you want why where are u going

Baek Hyun: if you’re worrying then don’t go stupid

Jin Hee: as much as I want to do not go, I can’t My Highness... it’s compulsory

Jin Hee: SOOOOO!!!!!! You don’t have plans today? No? Great! Expect me after lunch

Jin Hee: or maybe halfway through lunch whatever

Baek Hyun: Ugh I’m not going to answer your calls anyways

Jin Hee: hey hey don’t be like that

Jin Hee: my brother who still hates me to the pits of hell, also known as Se Hun, has arrived. Bye!!!!!!!

Jin Hee: Luv ya Byun!

Baek Hyun: Ew

She loves annoying Baek Hyun through the phone because she could already imagine his face while typing his short yet full of love messages. Jin Hee continued to wonder about on how many other texts he could take until he explodes and throws his phone straight to the wall.

Just… random thoughts.

Minutes after, she found herself squeezed between her brothers at the back of the car while her father drove, and his wife beside him on the shotgun seat. Se Hun on her left pressed himself so hard to the door he could’ve just gotten out and walked his way to their destination, while Chan Yeol on her right was chilling while scrolling through his phone. She peeked and a picture of a beautiful girl greeted her.

A beautiful girl that she already met.

She gasped.

“Chan!”

Chan Yeol immediately hushed her and put his finger on his shut lips, telling her to keep quiet.

“Keep quiet. I’m not stalking, alright?” he whispered.

Jin Hee lowly snorted, “Right. Definitely not stalking. By the way, you’ve already reached her June 2014 activities when it’s September 2015 today.”

“Really? I’ve been stalking that much?”

She could only shake her head. He was as impossible as his younger brother, though in different fields.

The past family dinner flashed in her head and she recalled the little interaction between her brother and Na Young. The two definitely match each other. And who knew Chan Yeol had this crush over Baek Hyun’s gorgeous sister?

An idea popped in her mind.

Brilliant, Jin Hee, brilliant!

The family arrived at the white, modern-styled house that almost looked like theirs, but this was smaller. A touch of white, peach and gray. The owner sure has a weird yet good taste when it comes to the color combinations.

“The Byuns live here,” Chan Yeol said, looking around, “in this village.”

Relief gushed through her veins. How could she say she has a plan b when she doesn’t even know where he lives? Though she was confident, she still doubted that Baek Hyun will actually answer her call if everything gets crazy.

When they got inside, an old woman in her late 60s—she estimated—just got down the stairs. Sagged skin, wrinkles visible on her face, and slightly bent posture, but her porcelain white skin was the thing that got her attention. The woman’s skin made her younger, surprisingly.

“I’m glad you actually made it!” sh

Please log in to read the full chapter