Chapter Fifteen

Like Cars in the City
Please log in to read the full chapter

THIS!!!!!! is where the fun starts hhhh 5 chapters to go until our last stop! <3 

{ chapter fifteen }

‘the calm before the storm’

The foundation week ended with the students making a bonfire when darkness fell on a Friday noon. The stalls were wrapped up and abandoned, and the students surrounded the dancing fire in front of them, illuminating their smiling faces that were being covered by darkness. After the cheers that echoed after the bonfire was lit, the dean came up in front of them to tell a few words, mainly congratulating them for the success of their foundation week and recognizing their hard works and efforts they put into building their booths and practicing for their sports festival.

When Monday came, everything was back to normal. In lunch break, the cafeteria’s buzzing with life, as usual, with the occasional laughter and sounds of plates and utensils. Jin Hee’s group of friends were seated in the table, and the image of them fitting their selves in just one table was similar to when they push themselves inside her car.

On the other side of the table, across Jin Hee, were the Kim brothers who, aside from eating, laughed their asses off in every single joke one would produce. It was an amusing yet cute sight to see; Joon Myeon’s eyes turn into slits every time he’d laugh, Min Seok’s gums would shine, Jong Dae’s curled corners of his lips would be defined even more, and Jong In’s head would be thrown backwards while his deep laughter echoes.

Baek Hyun on her right and her own two friends on her left were also having fun, but her gut was saying that something was off, like something is going to come. It’s like the calm before the storm.

Calm before the storm, she scoffed and stuffed a spoon of rice into , every ing day of my life is a damn storm. And these idiots are the rays of sunshine that keeps me going.

“You’re quiet.” Baek Hyun noticed beside her and whispered to her, “Something happened again over the weekend? I told you to call me.”

“I just visited my old neighborhood, that’s what I did, remember? And I didn’t call you because nothing happened aside from that,” she squinted to nowhere and tilted her head, “but I feel like something’s going to.”

“You’re just paranoid.” He countered and took a swig from his water bottle.

“Maybe. Maybe not.”

People often say, always trust your gut feels because most of the time, they’re right. Most of the time, they prepare you because they’re your little yet unofficial predictors of the future, but sometimes, they’re there to make you feel jumpy and to make you worry about non-existent things when you should worry about the things right in front of you, not ahead of you.

But right now, this is most of the time.

She was on her last spoon of rice and chicken nuggets when their quiet classmate, Do Kyung Soo, approached their table.

Jin Hee was already looking at him before he could even speak first, like she was expecting him.

Bring it on, life, this time, I’m damn prepared.

“Lee Jin Hee, the dean asks for you in his office.”

This, was somehow, unexpected, “The dean? Right now?”

The boy nodded, “Yes.” He then took his leave.

Alex cluck his tongue, “Girl, you better be studying well.”

“I am, idiot. Maybe it’s other…matters.”

Jin Hee went directly to the dean’s office, confused. Once she got there, after knocking twice, she opened the door and was shocked when she saw four big guys who wore black suits and earpieces.

“Ms. Lee, you’ve arrived. Come, close the door and take a seat.”

She did what she was told, but her eyes trailed weirdly at the uptight guys. One whispered something to his wrist upon seeing her, and she had this little idea in her head.

If that’s true, then we’re ed in a whole new level.

“I’m not going to go through pleasantries because time is important right now, so I’m going to get straight to the point.” The man in his late forties said, making Jin Hee sigh in relief, “These bodyguards were sent to you from your father to you anywhere you go. I know I am not in the right place to tell this to you, but I know you’re a responsible grown up teenager, so I’m going to break this to you. There’s been a threat to your family, as Eric had said, and it is not just a simple threat.”

Jin Hee pulled her head back in shock and confusion, “A threat? What did they say? Are my brothers fine?”

“Your brothers are fine, he said he also sent them their own guards.” The man shook his head, “But your father did not tell me about the threat. I do not wish either to know it. I am concerned about you and your family, but I don’t want to compromise my family and this school, too.”

“It’s alright, Mr. Jung, I understand.”

“These bodyguards will be around you wherever you are, Ms. Lee. And be cautious. If you notice anything suspicious, let the guards and us know.”

She stood up and was about to take her leave but a thought stopped her from doing so. Looking at her bodyguards who seemed to follow her every movement, she turned around to the dean.

“Mr. Jung, you said that you don’t want to jeopardize your family and the school, right?”

The old man nodded, “Yes, Ms. Lee. Why?”

She bit her lip, “Can I order them around?”

“Ask them, Ms. Lee.”

Jin Hee faced one in front of her and tilted her head, “Can I order you around?”

“Depends on the order, ma’am.”

“Alright,” she grinned, “who’s the best driver among of you all?”

The man in the suit expressionlessly answered, “Our best drivers are back at the parking lot, ma’am. Is there something you want to do?”

She nodded, her face full of certainty, “Yes.” She then picked something out of her pocket and tossed it to the man, the latter successfully catching it, “I want you to get me out of here.”

“But wait!” the man abruptly yet weakly stood up from his swivel chair, “Ms. Lee! That’s dangerous! We do not know if they’re just outside the campus, lurking and waiting for you to come out. They might…” The dean

Please log in to read the full chapter