장 4

Fairytale Feeling

After a week, here I am standing behind the counter at 7pm waiting for a costumer to come and thinking about the dinner I had with Byun Baekhyun. Earlier today, I encounter Jongin’s friends on the hallway talking. As I pass through them, I guess they noticed me and the matured-looking-guy greeted me a good morning so I slightly bowed my head and noticed the other guy with a killer-eyes nudged Baekhyun. I accidentally heard them talk when I started leaving. Accidentally, please take note of that.

            “I wish you all the best, Baek.”I don’t know who said that but I guess he’s the tallest guy with a deep voice.

 

I’m on my way to my parents’ room to say goodnight but I heard them having a conversation. A deep one. What’s wrong with me and my accidents of hearing other’s conversation today?

“Do you think we should tell her now?” Mom’s voice sounds nervous and worried.

“The sooner, the better, right?”

“I don’t think so, Hon. Maybe we should wait a little more?”

My eyes widened and I covered my mouth as I walk away from their room. What are they talking about? I can’t take this anymore. My day is full of jigsaw puzzles. I threw myself on my bed and all the conversations today is playing in my head unconsciously. Maybe it’ll fade tomorrow.

 

            ”You look… different. Beaten.”

            “What do you mean?”

            “Your eyes are swollen. You sleep late last night, did you?”

            “I guess. But I’m on bed at 9:30.”

            “But you didn’t sleep."

Sera has her way of connecting things out. Maybe she can be an investigator someday. At the cafeteria, she sat beside me. I’m starting to get suspicions why she sat beside me instead on the opposite chair in front of me. I turn my head to her and she’s using her smiling eyes back to me.

            “I’ve had enough weird things in my head now. What’s with you?”

            “Nah~ my boyfriend asked me out.”

            “So?” I asked confused.

            “I wonder when we’re going to have a double date.” The fact that she’s giggling, I want to wipe her face away.

I volunteered to order our lunch today so I left Sera and headed to the counter. Eyes were on me as I pass different companies of students. I cleared my throat and scan the dishes they have.

            “You’re having that for lunch?” Oh. That’s why the other girls beside me are trying not to squeal because my cousin is here. Standing next to me.

            “You’re not supposed to talk to me.” I try not to speak loud in order to keep my secret.

            “Why not?” Aegyo attacks!

            “Jongin, just –“

            “Noona!” He whined and my world officially ended. I saw the other students whispering. Maybe talking about me and Jongin.

In addition to what happened earlier. We – yes, we. I got my orders and went back to our table, Jongin trailing behind me. More eyes were looking now. Can someone open the floor now? I need to hide. But I can’t. Because Jongin’s gang is now with Sera. I almost drop our meal.

            “How are you, Seojin?”Baekhyun extended his hand to shake mine. Like, duh? My hands were occupied. “I see. Is this how you greet someone you had dinner with?” WTH?!

            “You had dinner with Hyung?”Jongin asked me, surprised to the fact that he doesn’t know.

            “Last Thursday.”Baekhyun interjects.

            “You didn’t know?” The guy with big ears asked my cousin.

            “I don’t have any idea too.”Sehun said.

            “Aww~ poor little boys.”

            “Seojin, you didn’t told me it was Baekhyun you had dinner with.” Oh. No. Is she ending our friendship now?

            “Okay. I’ll explain, but not today. And please tone down your voices.” I said with a low voice. “And, why are you guys here?”

It felt like I’m in a bee hive. I can hear the students around us buzzing and looking at us. I want to curse Jongin’s gang for ruining my day. What’s their purpose? Eating lunch with us has a way with words. What’s in your head? What are you guys planning to do?

 

I didn’t talk much during lunch. Why would I talk to them? What am I going to tell them? What topic should I open? The dinner one? No way.

They’re still with us when we head back to our class. Though, they’re right behind us. Before I even step on the first step of the stairs. A male student called me. Not sure what year he is. Everyone stopped and waited.

            “Seojin-ssi! Please accept this.” He bowed and extended his hands with a rose, letter and chocolates.

            “A confession, huh?” Sera’s side comment.

            “Look who’s getting a confession.” If my cousin didn’t shut his mouth. I’m going to knock his head off.

            “He’s from our batch.”Sehun added. The guy is still bowing. I look back to the guy.

            “Stop, Guys. You make him feel humiliated.” I cleared my throat and talk to the guy. “Sorry. But I can’t accept that.” He slightly raised his head and looked at me. Oh, no.

 

            “Why did you defend the guy back there?” Sera asked me after our classes.

            “Because it looks like you’re verbally bullying him.”

            “We’re not. But you still rejects his confession. Why?”

            “Because I don’t like him. And his younger than me.”

            “Other girls prefers younger and you accepted his gifts.”

            “I’m not one of the ‘other girls’ and he asked me to accept his gifts.”

            “So it’s Baekhyun.” I almost forgot to tell her that!

I didn’t have the chance to tell her the whole story because her boyfriend is already waiting for her outside the school gate to fetch her. She started running away and she said she’s going to call me tonight. She’s not letting go of that dinner thing.

 

I woke up late because of Sera’s phone interview last night. Fortunately, being late for work is not a big deal for me when I’m just 1 hour late. I can leave at 5pm later. We need to have lots of energy to serve our costumer since its weekend. More people are out to enjoy the weekend. And here I am, watching them as they pass our store. One costumer came from the bookstore across our store.

            “Good day, Sir!” I greeted him with a smile.

            “I’ll have vanilla sundae on cone, please.”I handed him his sundae and he placed the money on the counter. “Wait – you’re Jongin’s cousin, right?”

            “Uhmm..”He’s the matured-looking-guy!

            “I’m Junmyeon. Kim Junmyeon.”

            “Yeah. Uhm, I’m Yang Seojin.”

            “Why are you working here? You’re the daughter of –“ I put my finger on my mouth, signaling him to keep quiet.

He was like the male version of Sera. He keeps on pushing me to answer his questions but I’m in work. He insisted to wait for my break so he can ask me again.

            “Is that so?Does Jonginknow’s about this?”

            “Yeah. They saw me here before.”

            “With whom?”

            “Sehun. They’re always together.” I sigh “Can I have a favor?”

            “It depends.” He laugh. “What is it?”

            “Will you keep this secret of mine?”