장 1

Fairytale Feeling

This is why I hate this class. Our teacher usually finish her lecture 30 minutes before lunch. I’m currently staring outside the window, busy with daydreaming. We’re always like this. Waiting for the bell to ring so we can leave the room and head to cafeteria.

Someone nudges me trying to surprise me. I rolled my eyes, closed it, before turning my head and meet the face of that person who on earth loves me enough to ruin my daydreaming.

“Come on! We’re leaving for lunch now. Stop being so stoical.” She throws her handkerchief on my face and started pulling my hand so she can drag me out of my seat.

Oh Sera. She’s a friend of mine since junior high. That’s why I can say that I’m unfortunate. I need to bear with this shopaholic girl. But I love her.

 

We have our own place at the cafeteria. The table is always available every time we head here for lunch. I don’t know why. That’s why this table became our daily-lunch-buddy.

Placing my meal on the table and starting to seat. Suddenly my head turns to the entrance when the girls inside the cafeteria started squealing. The reason why many students here came late for class after lunch because they are busy talking about those guys. I think they’re forgetting their food.

 

Okay. This is a typical event for everyone. But not to me. The boys from my batch and our juniors came inside. In a story, there is always a famous girls or boys. And that’s what we have in here.

I don’t know their names. But I’m sure with the juniors.

Oh Sehun, Oh Sera’s younger brother.

Kim Jongin, Annoying tanned skin boy. Sadly, my cousin.

I guess everyone here doesn’t know anything about me and Jongin’s relationship. In fact, we don’t have the same surname. His mom is my father’s younger sister and I’m trying to keep it to everyone. Hiding secrets is very challenging but yet somehow fun and thrilling.

 

After class I went straight to Hongdae Playground so my driver can pick me up. I asked the driver to meet me there every day so no one from school will know what kind of life I really have. (“The driver will bring you to school and pick you up after school or else I won’t allow you to have job!” That’s what my Mom said if you’re wondering.)

I work 4hrs every weekdays after class. That’s the minimum working time. Every Saturday, I usually work 5 to 8hrs, it depends if my parents wants me to attend an event with them. Sunday is my free day. Though, it’s a family day. I also use my free day to finish assignments from school. This sounds tiring, right?

 

I’m on the counter ready to serve customers. I didn’t expect to see my cousin here at this moment. What is he doing here? I need to hide before he sees me!

            “Noona?” What the—

            “H-hey!”

            “You’re working here?”

            “Can’t you see?” I rolled my eyes.

            “I didn’t know this is the kind of job you’re doing.” I snatch his soda and chips so he can pay and leave.

            “Jongin! Can you include this?” Sehun popped out behind him.

            “Have you met my cousin?” Jongin points at me. I raised my eyebrow at them.

            “Hi! Nice meeting you.” He smiles and extends his hand asking for a handshake.

            “Hi. Is this all you’re going to buy?”

 

When I got home the empty hallway welcomes me. The silence is what I want now. This is all I need to regain my energy after spending it the whole day. I run upstairs to my room and heard my maid talks outside my bedroom’s door.

            “Seojin-ssi, don’t run like that. You should never have done that.” Gayoung Unnie said.

My Mom and Gayoung Unnie can be a bit of a scold sometimes. The first time my Mom saw me running upstairs. She said, she’s going to cut my feet. I make so much noise whenever I do that. When I was five, I got my knee injured because I fell from stairs. My recovery last for months. That’s why they were very cautious.

            “Sorry, Unnie!” I hugged her the moment I opened my door.

            “Stop playing with me, Seojin.” She smiled and I chuckled.

Every time she tries to reprove me, I will use my skills on being cute and puppyish so she’ll stop scolding me.

            “Be ready for dinner. Your parents will be joining you.”

I rarely eat with my parents but it doesn’t feel uncanny. At school, I hate talking while eating. But here, I love it. It’s our quality time. My Mom and Dad will ask me about school and I’ll ask them about work. Just like a normal family do.

            “You look tired, darling.” Mom raised from her seat to hug me.

            “I’m fine, Mom.” I assure her.

            “I really hate the fact that you want to work. Look at you!” She looks at me from head to toe. “You need to relax. Let’s go shopping tomorrow.” I pouted my lips.

            “I have classes and work tomorrow. I don’t have time.”

            “See! You don’t have time for yourself.” Mom outcries.

            “Honey,” Finally! I need him to rescue me. “stop over reacting. Seojin can manage her time.”

            “Dad’s right, Mom.” I nod in approval.

            “But—“

            “No buts, Mom.” I interrupted her and Dad laughs which made me and Mom chuckle.

As I help our maids to clean the table. Dad walks towards me and said to meet them at his office whenever I’m done here.

This means a serious conversation. Why do I need to meet them at his office just to talk? I haven’t done any violation at school. What mistake I have possibly done?

 

As I walk towards the office, the silence starts to scare me. This time, the silence makes me feel anxious. I think I’m going to throw up! Just kidding. I stand outside the room, eavesdropping. Maybe I can have a little information on what we’re going to talk about. Still silence. I started to knock and Dad calls my name.

            “What is this for?” Seriously. I’m starting to feel nervous.

            “You know Hyeonu, right?”

            “Yes, Dad. Why?”

            “Hyeonu and his wife is asking us out for dinner tomorrow.” Mom interjects.