장 2

Fairytale Feeling

It’s Wednesday and I don’t want to be absent on my job. My Mom keeps on texting me that I should attend that dinner tonight. I even asked them if that dinner is about serious business.

            “What should I do?” Mentally talking to myself while staring outside the window.

            “Can you read page number 365, Miss Yang.”

            “I can hide from them.”

            “Miss Yang.”

            “What if I didn’t attend that dinner? Or my wo—“

            “Pssst! Seojin!” Sera throws a crumpled paper on me causing me to turn my head and she points towards our teacher’s direction.

            “You seem distracted, Seojin.” Our teacher shakes his head. “Please read page 365 out loud.”

That’s embarrassing. Seriously! That’s the first time I’ve encounter that kind of situation. I’m always attentive in class, I’m also one of the honor students. Why is this dinner bothering me so much? Or being absent is what causes me to be distracted?

 

At lunch, Sera asked me what’s happening. So I told her the whole story about my parents asking me to join that dinner. She jumps to so many conclusions like my parents are going to meet a business partner who are richer than us who doesn’t have kids and can’t have kids and they’re going to adopt me so they can have a child and live happily ever after. Then we walked silently and she starts talking again.

            “What if you’re going to meet your prince tonight?” I can see excitement in her eyes the fact that I’m going to have a boyfriend.

            “Who the hell on earth would have thought of that?” I gave her my big-questioning-eyes look.

            “Me.” She said stoically. Okay. I surrender. “It’s just a conclusion, you know?”

Even though it’s just an imagination of my oh-so-awesome friend. I can’t bear to think of meeting the guy for me tonight. I can’t also think of my parents giving me to other married couple who can’t have a child! That’s harsh.

 

I went home after class because my Mom instructed my driver to bring me home not to work. I can’t ask him not to, because my parents are the one who gave him the job and giving his salary so I don’t have that kind of authority even though I’m his boss’s daughter. If only I can drive my own car. *sighs*

Since my parents didn’t gave much information whether the dinner is formal or casual. I’m on my closet now busy picking my jeans and shirt. Then suddenly, while I’m halfway wearing my jeans, I receive a text message from my Mom that I should wear dress.

            “SERIOUSLY!” I shouted then throws my clothes and raised my hands in surrender. “Ugh!”

            “Miss Yang, is everything alright?” Gayoung Unnie asked.

            “Why are you here?”

            “I accidentally heard you while I’m passing the hallway. Do you mind if I come in?” I opened my door for her. “Are you alright?”

            “No.” She tries to suppress her laugh maybe because of my expression.

            “Maybe I can help you?”

Gayoung Unnie can be my fairy godmother sometimes. She helps me to look for a dress, she even do my hair and put some make-up. I wore my sneakers that suits my dress but Gayoung Unnie shakes her head in disapproval but then smiles when I used my shenanigans on her.

 

As I enter the restaurant. Someone approaches me and asked if I’m the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Yang. The staff leads me to a private room where my parents are already waiting with their friends.

            “Here’s our daughter!” Dad said.

            “Wow! She’s beautiful. I remember when she was a little girl.” What?! They know me since I was little? Oh, my. Are they going to adopt me?!

            “I know you don’t remember us.” I guess they saw my confused reaction. Though, I know their name. “I’m Mirae. I used to be your second mother.” She smiles motherly.

            “When you’re baby, she’s always in our house with her baby too.” Mom explains. They’re not going to adopt me! They have a child. “Their doctor mistakenly read the ultrasound result and told them that they’re having a baby girl. She visits us to give you gifts because they thought their baby is a girl and they went shopping the moment they know they’re having a baby.” They laugh reminiscing the past.

            “I remember how excited I am that time.” Ma’am Mirae shakes her head.

            “I really hate that doctor for giving us false information.” Mr. Hyeonu said.

            “At least you have a handsome son now.” Dad said making them forget that awful past.

Their story made me engrossed all the way to the surprise ending that they have a son. Wait—Son?! This can’t be. I remember what Sera said earlier. No way!

I let them do the talking since I don’t have any story to tell them. They just ask me about school and why am I working. I’m hyperventilating! Sorry, that’s exaggerated.

In the middle of their deep conversation. Mr. Hyeonu’s phone rang. He excused his self and answer his phone outside. When he returns, he told us that his son can’t be with us tonight and he’s disappointed and embarrassed at the same time. Ma’am Mirae sighs and told us that we should start eating. I should have attend my work instead.

 

On our way home, Dad said Mr. Hyeonu is apologizing and asking for another dinner. He will make sure his son will attend this time. And the alarming part is, they want us to have that dinner alone. Means, me and their son only. And the scariest part is, I need to skip work again.