Chapter 2

Accidental Letter

A/N: I'm sorry this chapter is quite boring and right when I have break my mind decides to go blank. TT-TT


You sat in your usual spot and began the project you had been working on where you received the little letter from Jaehwan. A few minutes had passed and there was no sign of him. You didn’t expect him to show up and it was better if he didn’t because your best friend couldn’t stop by today. At the same time you felt let down because he had said he would.

You pushed Jaehwan out of your thoughts as you immersed yourself in your charcoal drawing.

To say you were timid and introverted was an understatement despite your best friend always trying to put you out there. Truth be told you liked being alone. Despite what people thought, the comfort of solitude soothed you and you felt you could really be yourself in these moments. It was was normal for you to be alone, especially when working on your projects. It was also normal for you to talk and hum to yourself as you thought out your process of what to create on the canvas. So that’s what you did, you hummed to yourself as you drew. A smile escaped your lips as you saw the drawing coming together.

“Oh, you’re almost done?”

Jaehwan’s voice startles you causing you to jump and drop your charcoal pencils. You were so immersed in your work you didn't notice him settled next to you with his own drawing.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you.” Jaehwan half laughed as he helped pick up the pencils you dropped.

“It’s okay, I didn’t even notice you were here.” You whisper, accepting the pencils back from him.

“I’ve been here for about 10 minutes. Do you always hum to yourself?” Jaehwan smiles cheekily at you.

“Ah -um. I guess. Sorry, did it bother you? I’ll try to stay quiet.” You clench the pencils in your hand in embarrassment.

“No, no please just work like you usually do. Your humming is pretty soothing. I did say I would start coming the same time as you. I’m the one bothering you, so please be comfortable.” Jaehwan smiles at you.

You can feel your heart beating faster from just looking at his smile.

“You didn’t have to come. (F/n) can’t come today, I should have texted you. I forgot. Sorry.”

“I didn’t just come for (y/f/n), you’re my friend too. I always notice you working so diligently and you do always get the highest marks and your pieces are always so thought provoking.” Jaehwan complements you and you blush.

“No, no I just try my to do what our professor wants.” You feel your face getting warmer.

Jaehwan smiles at you in response.

You both stay silent for a while as you both get back to your own drawings. From time to time you take sneak glances at Jaehwan and like always he has his lower lip slightly jutting out and his eyebrows furrowed together.

His facial expressions always made you smile.

“Do you mind if I ask you a question?” Jaehwan looks at you then your drawing.

You nod your head.

“The theme for this project is longing for something you can no longer have. If you don’t mind me asking, who is it you’re drawing? She’s beautiful and looks somewhat familiar.” Jaehwan can’t help but stare at your drawing as he observes the soft features of the woman’s smiling face.

You look at the drawing yourself before contemplating on whether or not you should answer. You never really talked about it and you never planned to, especially not with the person you were supposed to be setting up with your best friend. But Jaehwan seemed like a genuine person who wanted to be your friend, so why not?

You let out a small breath before answering, “it’s my mother.”

“To be precise it’s the last memory I had with my mother.” You smile to yourself as you look at the drawing of your mother.

“I’m sorry for asking. It’s just when I saw it when I walked in, the drawing itself had a beautiful smiling woman but the feeling it gave was so melancholic. I couldn't help but ask.” Jaehwan apologizes as he looks at you with a somber expression.

“It’s okay.” You give him a slight smile.

“How about, everytime we meet we talk about (f/n) and how you should approach her.” You suggest, trying to avoid anymore question about your art piece.

“We don’t have to just talk about (y/f/n/).” Jaehwan says almost pleadingly.

You nod your head, not really sure what to say.

From time to time Jaehwan sings and you had to admit his voice was heavenly. Sometimes he shares some jokes that make you giggle. Now you understood why everyone near Jaehwan was always smiling and laughing. He’s a mood maker.

You lost yourself in comfortable silence and to Jaehwan sharing tidbits about himself with you before you realized you had to leave to go to work before you were late.

“I actually have to leave for work soon. (Y/f/n) is going to stop by next week to bring me some coffee. To start things off, I should introduce the two of you. I’m sure she’ll really like you.”

“Right, of course. I can’t wait.” Jaehwan beams and you can see the slight blush appear on his face from the mention of your best friends name.

You start to put all of your equipment away as you questioned and tried to sort your feelings. You felt fuzzy inside. Jaehwan was an open book who really wanted to be your friend. His smiles made you blush. But the reason he smiled so brightly wasn’t for you or because of you.

You wave at Jaehwan before walking towards the exit. "I'll see you next week."

Jaehwan stops you before you can take another step, “if you don’t mind me asking, where you do work?”

“A few blocks off campus, at the Jellyfish coffee shop, not many people go since it’s pretty small and there’s a closer coffee shop near campus. I should really get going before I’m late.” You wave at him again.

“Be careful, it’s almost winter so it gets darker earlier.” Jaehwan calls out before he sees your figure disappear.

You can’t help but smile at his comment. Jaehwan was everything you could ever want but never have.

You quickened your pace, thinking about how you would introduce your best friend to Jaehwan without seeming suspicious.