Chapter 1

Accidental Letter

“If you give me a chance, I promise I can make you smile and laugh. I can promise to love you more than anyone ever has. Please meet me at the coffee shop across campus at 5 pm.” -Jaehwan


 

You clutched the small piece of paper in your hand, trying to control your nerves as you walked to the small coffee shop across your university to meet him. The piece of paper was left on your desk in the art room you worked in by none other than Jaehwan. The guy you had a crush on ever since you saw him working in the same art room as you. You thought you were dreaming when you saw the small scribbles in the envelope encased paper.

You opened the door, the aroma of brewing coffee wafting in the air. You spotted him sitting towards the back of the shop with two drinks already settled on the small round wooden table. You wished you had actually tried to look presentable. Instead your hands had stains of charcoal with some probably on your face and clothing from the drawing you were currently working on.

You walked towards him, unsure of whether or not you should take a seat, Jaehwan turned his head to look at you confusingly.

“You told me to meet you here at 5.” You shyly whisper, unable to lift your eyes too look at him.

“Oh. Wait. W-weren’t you supposed to give it to your friend, (f/n)?” He looks at you wide eyed.

You mentally face palm yourself before taking the piece of paper out to see the written words you missed to read. But there were none.

“There’s no name on here.” You reply handing him the piece of paper, you could feel your face becoming hotter and hotter from the embarrassment. Your mind racing at what this exactly meant.

Jaehwan looks at it before looking at you. “Oh my gosh. I am so sorry. I left it on your desk to ask you to give it your friend. I was so nervous and I heard footsteps, I must have forgotten to write it down. This is so embarrassing. I am so sorry. Please sit down. Here, you can have the coffee.”

Jaehwan lightly grabs your wrist and pulls you down to the seat across from him. You on the other hand feel like dying from embarrassment. Of course he wouldn’t like you. There was nothing to like about you. Your best friend on the other hand would be perfect for him.

“I’m so sorry to put you in this position. I hope this doesn’t send you mixed signals. I’m really so sorry. You were probably working on one of your art projects. We have the same class and I always see your friend come by to give you coffee when I’m leaving. This is so embarrassing.” Jaehwan talks a mile a minute and you have to stop yourself from standing up and just running out the door from the sheer embarrassment from thinking that he would actually have feelings for you or even confess to you.

Instead you take a deep breath before taking a sip of the overly sweet coffee while you clear your thoughts and think of a way to get out of there as soon as possible.

You look him in the eyes after setting the cup down and he immediately stops talking, “It’s okay.”

After a pause that seemed like an eternity you hear him let out a breath of relief but the look he gives you says otherwise.

“It’s really okay. I get it, you were nervous.” You force a smile.

“It’s just, I really like your friend and I didn’t know how to contact her any other way than through you and I didn’t want to just ask you about her seeing as we’ve never really talked to each other before and you always come in to work on your projects right before I leave and I can’t really talk to you while we’re actually in class because our work areas aren’t close to each other and the professor expects us to complete the assignments by the time class ends. I’m sorry, I’m rambling aren’t I? I’m just so embarrassed and sorry.” Jaehwan says in one breath before taking a drink of his coffee.

If it weren’t for the fact that you weren’t the person Jaehwan was expecting and just sitting here drinking coffee with him under any other circumstance, you’d laugh at him. You’ve never seen him so flustered. The only time you see him is when he interacts with the people around him during actual class. You on the other hand were quiet while you worked as you tried to sneak quick glances at him. You tended to leave right after you handed in your assignment.

You both awkwardly sit there for a while, both staring at your own respective coffees.

You break the silence with the crack of your voice and you just want to bang your head on the table at this point. “If you want, I can give you (f/n's) phone number?”

“No, no it’s okay. I guess I should just-“

“I could set the two of you up. She is my best friend. Of course knowing her, she won’t just go on a blind date so it may take a while.” You blurt. You mentally slap yourself for saying that. You did not want to set your best friend up with your crush.

“Really?” Jaehwan grabs both of your hands in excitement, his eyes practically sparkling.

“Yes, really.” You blush at the feel of his warm hands around yours before shrugging his hands off of yours.

“Sorry, I keep invading your personal space.” Jaehwan says apologetically as he retracts his hands farther away from yours.

You both exchange phone numbers after agreeing to help him. He also says he’ll start working on his solo projects the same time as you because you’re his “new friend” but you think it must be because he wants to know more about your best friend.

You walk out of the shop in separate directions. You slowly walk back towards the art room as you look up at the clouds. The entire event kept playing in your head as you finished your charcoal drawing and you felt like kicking yourself in the face.

What have I gotten myself into?