Chapter 14

Accidental Letter

“Hey, Hyuk.” You glance over at him happily staring at his phone.

No reply.

“Hyukkie~” You add a sickening tone to your voice.

Still no reply as you slightly squirm around in your seat.

Hyuk had been smiling at his phone for the past half hour as the movie you both agreed to watch became background noise. What on earth could he be grinning ear to ear about? You pout before grinning at your own mischievous idea.

Unbeknownst to Hyuk, you get up from the little nest you made on your couch and slowly creep into the kitchen to put away your cup. Grabbing a few ice cubes from the freezer you slowly creep behind Hyuk.

“Hyuk~” You creepily whisper near his right ear as you slip the ice cubes inside the front of his V-neck before guffawing at his reaction.

“Y/n!” Hyuk jumps up at your voice as he drops his phone before screeching at the melting ice cubes stuck in his shirt.

As you watch Hyuk squiggle around like a giant worm he hits his shin on the coffee table and topples over the couch making you laugh even more. Till you realize his phone was wide open.

Trying but failing to stop yourself from laughing you get off the floor, grab his phone and try to make a run for it.

“Y/n, I’ll give you 2.5 seconds to drop my phone.” Hyuk shrieks at you in an abnormally high tone.

“Or what, you sack of potatoes?” You laugh holding onto your stomach as you look at Hyuk in fetal position, cradling his shin as the ice seeped through his shirt.

Hyuk gets on all fours and quietly inches towards you, despite wanting to die from embarrassment,

“Y/n, you’re gonna get it.” Hyuk grins, his eyes glinting.

You slowly back away, suddenly creeped out at his huge figure crawling towards you.

Before you can make a run for it, you feel a hand grab your ankle as you slip and expect the hardwood floor to catch your fall.

To your shock, you were instead on top of Hyuk. Your face to his chest.

“If I didn’t care about you so much. I would have just let you fall.” He glares at you before grabbing both your hands and flipping you both over.

His sheer strength alone making your drop his phone. “Hyuk, sorry, sorry. I won’t do it again.” You plead.

“Oho? Do what again? My shirt is drenched, my shin hurts and you’re trying to steal my phone? The way I see it, that’s three offenses.”

“To be fair, I had nothing to do with your shin.” You puff your cheeks out, starting to get embarrassed in the position you were both in.

Hyuk smiles at you sweetly as he tilts his head to the side, “really now?”

Before you could come up with a proper comeback you feel his fingers start to tickle your sides before you let out uncontrolable laughter.

“H- Hy- Hahahahahah. I- so-hahahhaha” You try to squiggle out of his hold while you try to plead for him to stop.

“What was that, Y/n?” Hyuk looks at you with a eating grin.

“Ple- hahahahah.” You continue to laugh as you try to contort your way out again.

“Sorry, I can’t understand you.”

Hyuk was met with more of your laughter. She’s so cute.

“I’ll stop, if you do what I say for an entire month.” Hyuk proposes.

“O-hahaha, okay hahahah anything.” You respond, so long as he stops tickling you.

“Perfect.” Hyuk abruptly stands, picks you up and places you on the couch before grabbing his phone and sitting next to you. “Ugh, my shirt is all wet, thanks to someone.”

You hold your sides, feeling a slight soreness from all the laughing and tickling. “Yeah, yeah, you big cry baby. I’ll go get you a shirt. Might be a little small on you though.”

“Why’d she do all that anyway?” Hyuk mutters to himself as he takes off his wet shirt.

“Well, well, someone finally has abs after being all scrawning.” You smirk as you fling one of your bigger shirts at him.

“Really?” Hyuk looks at the pink shirt with little bears printed randomly throughout.

“What? It’s my only shirt that’s loose enough for you to fit. You seriously grew too much.” You snicker as you take a seat beside him.

Hyuk puts on the shirt, still too tight on him. “Does this look loose to you?” He deadpans.

You look up, only to start cackling at Hyuk. The shirt hugged every muscle on his body. You would have said he looked nice in it, if it weren’t for the fact it was pink with cute little bear designs.

“Whatever, not like anyone is going to see me.” Hyuk flops down next to you as he looks at his phone again.

“Hyuk!” You pull at his ears.

“Ow-ow what?”

“Who are you texting? You’ve been smiling at your phone this whole time? We agreed to watch a movie together remember?” You pout. You had been looking forward to hanging out with Hyuk for a while. Your best friend for the most part was MIA and Hyuk was the only one who still treated you the same.

“Are you jealous?” He smirks.

You roll your eyes. “Is it the girl you like?”

“No, just my friend had some puppies. She sends me a bunch of videos. I can’t stop watching them.” Hyuk directs his screen at you.

You stare at the screen then at him before squinting your eyes. “You sure that’s all?”

“Well yeah, what else would I be doing?” Hyuk says as if it’s a matter of fact.

“Riiight.” You nod your head, looking at him incredulously.

“Anyway, my friend can’t keep all these puppies, you think Y/f/n, Jaehwan, or Hongbin would want one?”

“Who knows I haven’t spoken to Y/f/n in who knows how long.”

“Well, it’s almost the end of the term. I’m sure she’s busy preparing for her finals too.” Hyuk tries to reassure you.

“Hyuk, she stopped directly talking to me ever since the whole Jaehwan thing happened.”

He gives you a strange look, “Why do you think that is?”

“Who knows? She’s never just ignored me before. She doesn’t even answer my text messages. Even when she’s gotten a boyfriend in the past, she would still pop up to see me.” You pout, truly upset that y/f/n hadn’t been around.

“I’m sure she has her reasons. I bet she’ll come talk to you after finals are over. And she never misses your exhibitions, so she’ll probably be there too.”

“You think?”

“I know it.” Hyuk pats your head.

“By the way, Y/f/n is a cat person, not sure how she’d do with a dog.”

“Right, what about Jaehwan and Hongbin?”

“Well, you can ask Y/f/n about whether he wants a dog. Hongbin likes dogs though.” You mutter.

“Hey, Y/n. You better tell me the truth. How do you feel about Hongbin?” Hyuk asks, his voice suddenly serious.

“Nice segue, Hyuk, real nice.” You deadpan.

“Don’t change the subject.” Hyuk lightly flicks your forehead. “Do you like him?”

“I don’t know if I like him the way he likes me. I want to seriously think about it. Right now, I know I like hanging out with him.”

“And Jaehwan? Do you like him?”

Hyuk feels you stiffen at the question.


 

A few days had passed after your little hangout with Hyuk. For the most part, you and Hongbin had been getting along. But it came as a shock to you when he entered the café. You don’t know him, he’s just a customer.

“Y/n-“

“What can I get for you?” You force a commercial smile.

“Right- a 12 ounce Americano, no sweetener please.”

“Sure. Name please.”

Jaehwan looks at you strangely. “ Your- Ah- Jaehwan.” Jaehwan mentally slaps himself at his cheesy attempt to try to make you laugh but he knew now wasn’t the time. She’s acting like I’m a stranger.

Jaehwan quietly stands at the side of the counter as he watches you make his coffee.

“Y/n, listen, I’m sorry, I was-“

“I’m sorry, Jaehwan. I’m working right now. It’s not the best time to just strike up a conversation.” You cut him off.

“Right, sorry. I’ll wait for you to finish work. I need to talk to you.” He says chewing on the inside of his cheek.

What does he need to talk about? You hand him his coffee once you finish, not replying to a word he said. You hoped he would just leave sometime before your shift ended.

As the hours passed, Jaehwan sat in the corner, quietly sipping his coffee as he stole quick glances at you.

Is he going to tell me he’s dating Y/f/n now? I don’t need him to tell me, I already know. The thoughts circulated in your head before a customer waved their hand in front of you.

“You okay, Y/n?” Hongbin furrowed his brows.

“Yeah, sorry. I was just spacing out. What’re you doing here. I thought you were going to be working on your project all day?” You relax as Hongbin gently smiles at you.

“I wanted to take a little break, so I thought I’d grab a coffee.”

“Sure! Do you want the usual?”

“Yup.” Hongbin grins at you for remembering his usual drink.

“You’re just in time actually, I was just about to take my break.”

“Perfect. I’ll wait for you at our usual spot.”

Making his drink quickly, you forget Jaehwan had been waiting for you.

You sit and chat with Hongbin before Hyuk spots you and Hongbin while Jaehwan shot daggers in Hongbin’s direction.

“Perfect timing.” Hyuk snickers before taking out your pink shirt from his locker and heading towards you.

“Hey, Hongbin. Y/n, here’s the shirt you let me borrow when I went to your house. I already washed. Be sure to save it for me next time too. He grins, feeling the jealously of two guys slowly rise.

You choke from your own drink before glaring at him. “You could have just left it in my locker or given it to me later.”

“Riiight, I just thought I’d let you know. In case I forget, you know?” Hyuk smiles before backing away. Success.

You look over at Hongbin, blushing as he sips his coffee. “It’s not what you think. He- I- acciden-.” You try to explain, flustered.

“It’s okay, accidents happen.” Hyuk chuckles. “I should get going, I’ll see you tomorrow for the final session.”

Flabbergasted, you suddenly remember Jaehwan was there the whole time. You robotically stand up, hoping he never saw the whole thing.

“Hyuk, you did that on purpose.” You jab his sides after you dragged him into the staff room.

“No idea what you’re talking about.” Hyuk looks at you nonchalantly.

“Why are you scared they’d get the wrong idea?” He wiggles his eyebrows at you.

You roll your eyes at him. “I’m so embarrassed.”

“For what, not like we did anything naughty.” Hyuk suppressed a giggle.

“I’m getting you for his.” You purse your lips.

“Yeah, yeah. It’s closing. I have to leave to talk to my professor later. You mind closing today?”

I hope Jaehwan is gone. “Sure.”

You heave a sigh of relief when you see he’s not in the chair he had been in earlier.

Finally locking the front door you turn around and make a left to see Jaehwan sitting on the bench before he signals you to sit next to him.

Every in of your body screamed at you to turn the other direction and walk away but your legs lead you to him and as soon as you knew it, you were sitting next to each other.

Jaehwan was quiet as he collected his thoughts. The minutes passed by painstakingly slow.

“Jaehwan, I have stuff to do, so if you have nothing to say. I’m leaving.” You begin to stand.

“Wait.” Jaehwan grabs your hand and lightly pulls so that you sit again. 

“I’m sorry. I know I’ve been a jerk. Sorry isn’t enough. I ‘m sorry, I just left you and Hongbin on the project without saying anything. I know you wanted to combine our drawing together but I ruined it.” Jaehwan paces himself.

You didn’t reply, the heat from his hand almost felt like it would burn you.

“I decided to do something different, it’s a gamble but it was the only thing I could think of. I hope you’ll come see my final portrait at the exhibition.”

“I’m not sure, I already promised someone I’d go take a look at theirs.” You say trying to pull away from his hand as he steadily held yours in place.

“Even if you don’t, I wanted to tell you something. I hope you’ll meet me at the quad after the exhibition is done. I’ll be there at 7:30 pm.” Jaehwan nearly whispers.

“I’m not sure. I promised to meet with someone after the exhibition was done too.” You say, remembering Hongbin saying something similar.

“I’ll wait. No matter how long you take. I’ll wait for you there.” Jaehwan says with finality.

“I-“

“Hey, Y/n, I’m glad I made it. I thought you’d have gone home by now.” Hongbin pops up, lightly pulling you up and releasing Jaehwan’s hand out of yours.

You heave a sigh of relief, your burning hand now felt oddly cold and empty.

“Well see you Jaehwan, I had some things to talk about with Y/n.” Hongbin smiles as you two walk away. Leaving Jaehwan alone on the bench.

“You okay? You looked uncomfortable. He didn’t do anything weird to do did he?” Hongbin searches your face as you nod your head.

“I’m okay, thanks for coming.” You felt as if your heart was going to explode if Jaehwan held your hand any longer. Why am I like this. You reprimand yourself.

Putting the conversation with Jaehwan behind you, you listen to Hongbin chirp away at how excited he was for the exhibition.

You could only hope he hadn’t heard the conversation the two of you had.


 

Ehe. Aha. x.x Anyone else imagining Hyuk's toned body in a ridiculous tight pink shirt with bear designs?