Chapter 13

Accidental Letter

You’d be lying if you said you were okay with the fact that Jaehwan just dropped out of the joint project. He didn’t even mention anything to us. Is he angry that I told him to leave the other day? Racing thoughts circulated and racked your brain as you blankly stared at Hongbin’s sitting figure.

“Are you okay, Y/n?” Hongbin furrows his eyebrows.

Placing your pencil down you sigh at the entire situation, “I’m just kind of shocked I guess, I was excited to see the end result of the project but he just dropped everything without saying anything.”

“I’m sure he has his own reasons. Besides he’s going to miss out on how great your portrait will be!” Hongbin grins trying to lighten the mood.

You know what, fine. If Jaehwan wants to drop everything just because of one incident there was nothing you could do. You didn’t think he’d do something so petty and bring it over into a professional standpoint. It’s not like he just became my friend by chance, he’s just someone I helped get with Y/f/n. Nodding your head, you pick up your pencil and stare at Hongbin again, looking at the angle his body was positioned in.

“If you stare at me that much, I might actually blush you know.” Hongbin bites his bottom lip to stop himself from grinning.

“Mr. Lee, I’ve stared at you a lot. Getting shy now would be a waste.” You suppress the grin creeping on your lips as you raise your eyebrows at him.

“Ah, you tease.” Hongbin shyly whispers, his cheeks flushing.

“Haha, you’re actually blushing. How cute.” You respond nonchalantly as your begin drawing.

The whole time Hongbin tried suppressing his grin at how upbeat you became after trying and successfully cheering you up. 

The time passed with Hongbin almost seemed to go by too fast. He was easy to talk to and hanging around him ensured that you both would be smiling about something. Hongbin was misunderstood and you both, to your amazement had a lot in common. Falling for him could very well be natural but you never thought that deeply about it. You still had to talk to Y/f/n, but she had been, for the most part avoiding you. You wanted to talk to her about Jaehwan and Hongbin, but you weren’t sure what to exactly say. You’d be lying if you said you didn’t like Jaehwan anymore either. 

As the week passed by, the atmosphere around you and Hongbin was seemed even better without Jaehwan making things awkward.

“The project is due in a week, I hope it turns out okay.” You fidget as your organize your materials.

“I know it will, I look at the portrait you made and I almost can’t believe it’s me.” Hongbin modestly replies.

“Well, you are good looking, but you made the project a lot more difficult with that jaw line.” You half joke.

Hongbin blushed at your comment, unable to think of a witty comeback. He felt like a teenage boy around you. The amount of effort he used to try to hide his bursting emotions towards you was almost too difficult to contain.

“Oh yeah, Hyuk told me he was going to stop by and walk with us to the café, said he had to speak with his professor. He should be here in about 5 minutes.” You tilt your head getting ready to put your tools away.

“I’ll help you put it away.” Hongbin stands up.

For some odd reason, an unusual awkward silence disrupted your usual banter. “You okay, Hongbin?”

“Yeah, uh. We have one week left before the project is due. I’m just nervous and-“

“Don't be nervous, I know everyone will love the pictures.” You smile pinching Hongbin’s cheek as you shove the memory of the photo shoot with Jaehwan to the back of your mind.

“Thanks. I was actually hoping you’d come see the final prints during the exhibition. But it’s during the same time as yours so I understand if you can’t.” Hongbin blushes, suddenly feeling very shy because of his own request.

“Of course! You have to see mine too!”

“You don’t think people will think I’m cocky for looking at a portrait of myself?” Hongbin asks, genuinely worried.

“If anyone has a problem, they’ll have to get through me.” You state as a matter of fact as you point to yourself.

“Haha, no one wants to mess with an angry Y/n...” Hongbin trails off as he starts to fidget.

You look at him quizzically, your eyes inquisitively reading his body language as he bites his lips.

“I- I was wondering if you had time after the exhibition that evening. There’s something I want to tell you.” Hongbin looks down as his fringe covers his eyes. The apparent flush reaching his ears makes you realize that Hongbin wasn’t simply just your friend.

He peeks at you, waiting for you to answer. His tall stature and the expression on his face reminded you of a giant puppy waiting for his owner to pet him. Be still my heart. It was moments like this when Hongbin made your heart skip a beat. Not thinking too much about it you tell him the first thing that comes to mind, “Of course.”

Hongbin breaks out a smile that nearly makes his eyes close. “Great, I can’t wait.”

“What are you two whispering about over there?” Hyuk pops up behind the two of you, causing you and Hongbin to visibly freeze.

You turn around wide-eyed before aiming a light flick towards Hyuk’s forehead. “Don’t go scaring people like that.”

“Hey, hey no flicking, you can barely even reach.” Hyuk snickers at his own remark.

You squint your eyes at Hyuk before grinning at Hongbin, “really?”

Hongbin sneaks behing Hyuk and holds his hands behind his back as you attack him with tickles.

“This is unfair, you can’t go double teaming on me.” Hyuk nearly cries at the attack of tickles.

You and Hongbin let go and high-five each other as Hyuk holds his sides.

“How long have you been here anyway? Let’s go get our stuff then we can go.” You ask Hyuk as you point your head toward your seats.

“Oh, I just got here.” Hyuk purses his lips as he trails behind you and stares at Hongbin.

“Anyway, come on, we’re going to be late.” You say as the three of you rush towards the cafe, Hyuk glued to his phone as you and Hongbin try but fail to sneak glanes at his screen. 

“I’ll see you next week, Y/n. I hope everything turns out okay.” Hongbin waves once the three of you reach the café.

“Okay, see you then.” You wave back.

Once Hongbin’s figure disappears you snap your head toward Hyuk and squint at him. “Who have you been texting this whole time?”

“No one in particular.” Hyuk looks at you weirdly.

“Don’t make me confiscate your phone.”

“As if you could reach.” Hyuk chuckles and raises the phone above his head.

“Don’t forget you have shins, Hyukkie.” You grin, creeping even closer to him.

“Okay, okay. It was just my project mate. Our deadline is almost here too, I just had to make sure everything was going as planned.” Hyuk lies, tucking his phone into his pocket.

“Oh, why didn’t you just say so.” You look at him incredulously.

“Well, you were too busy giggling with your dear Binnie.” Hyuk teases.

“Yeah, yeah. Let's go in, it looks like we’re loitering.” You turn your head hoping he didn’t see your blushing face.

“So, what’s up with you two? Do you like him?” Hyuk asks as you both get ready for work.

The thought of Jaehwan immediately popped into your head. “Well, I haven’t really thought about it that deeply.” You try to dismiss the conversation.

“You should. With the way he looks at you but don’t forget I’m also here and I get jealous.” Hyuk playfully flicks your head.

"Har- har, very funny." You roll your eyes and reply dryly. 

"Anyway, I have to fix some stuff out in the back." Hyuk says before giving one last forehead flick. 

You rub your forehead at his flick, trying not to think about what he said. You were purposely not thinking about Jaehwan because of how upset it would make you.

Hyuk sneaks glances at you as he goes out to the back and pulls his phone out.

----

Anything happen?

 

Seems like BinBin’s making a move, babe. Talk to you after my shift. Hyuk replies before placing his phone in his apron pocket.

----

“Oh boy.” He sighs before heading back inside to Y/n.

To his amazement, Y/n was consumed by her own thoughts. She didn’t feel him poking her cheeks.

“Earth to Y/n? Hello?” Hyuk waved his hand before throwing a coffee bean at her.

“Huh? Don’t throw coffee beans, you’ll waste them.” You furrow your brows before pretending to throw one at him.

“Oh yeah, I’ve been meaning to ask. Why wasn’t Jaehwan there?”

You freeze at his question before purposely shrugging your shoulders.

Y/f/n told me he has huge dark circles under his eyes lately.

“Good for him.” You reply abruptly.

“Someone’s in a sour mood.” Hyuk raises his hand in a surrendering manner.

“Anyway, are you sure that wasn’t your crush you were texting on the phone?” You change the subject, nudging your elbow at his side.

“And if it was?” Hyuk teases.

“Come on, you can tell me.” You grin, jabbing your elbow even more.

Hyuk breaks out into laughter, “You and your wild imagination.”

Y/n pouts before glaring at him, “Whatever, I’ll get it out of you eventually.”

“I hope you don’t.” Hyuk whispers under his breath.

“Huh?”

“Nothing, anyway I’m working counter so I’ll take you home after your shift.” Hyuk smiles.

“Okay, let's watch a movie, we haven’t hung out in a while.

“You’ve got yourself a deal.” Hyuk gives you a thumbs up before walking to the counter.


 

TBC. 

Aheh sorry I didn't update in so long. o.o The beginning of the end is almost here.... x.x