Chapter 12

Accidental Letter

The count down for your shared project was set to be due in two weeks. As the days passed you made a conscious effort to stay nonchalant around Jaehwan while getting to know Hongbin.

You hadn’t thought much about it, Jaehwan would naturally drift more and more away from you as time went by and things would go back to normal, prior to meeting him. Or so you thought.

With every smile or conversation you had with Hongbin during the sessions Jaehwan would interject.

“You guys I’m here too you know.” Jaehwan would pout playfully.

You were careful not to look at his face. Don’t look. Don’t fall for the pout. With an awkward laugh as a halfhearted response you’d cease your conversation and try to focus on your drawing once again. Your resolve felt as if it were going through a rollercoaster.

At the end of the session, you usually tried to leave earlier than usual with Hongbin but for some reason Jaehwan had started tagging along. Clinging to closer to you than Hongbin would ever allow himself. To say it was an awkward situation was an understatement. Hongbin’s discomfort was clear through his silence and forced smiles at you.

A walk that took less than 20 minutes seemed to last a lifetime as the three of you walked in silence.

“The projects due in about two weeks. Why don’t we have a get together at the end?” Jaehwan broke the silence as he looked at your side profile, tempted to brush the hair out of your face.

“Hmmm, I guess if Y/n wants to I don’t mind.” Hongbin replied scratching the back of his head. Something you noticed he did often when he was unsure of the situation. 

“Sure, why don’t we also invite Hyuk and y/f/n? Since you're dating and all, it’d be fun.” You act nonchalant as you chew your inner cheek. Why did I agree. I don’t want to see them all lovey dovey. You mentally slap yourself for agreeing so readily.

“Great, I can set everything up. I’ll let you guys know about the details later.” Jaehwan beams as you approach the café.

“Oh right, you wanted to talk to me about something right? Why don’t you go in Y/n, it’s kind of hot so we’ll chat outside. Right Hwanny?” Hongbin his head to the side as he stares down Jaehwan.

“But it’s the middle of wint-?”

“That’s right I almost forgot.” Jaehwan laughs as Hongbin nudges you to the door.

As you walk in you turn your head back towards their direction to see the two of them shooing you to work. What’s with them? You wonder as you head towards the counter.

“Ohoo, looks like someone’s being fought over.” Hyuk teases as he hands you your apron.

“What are you going on about now?” You roll your eyes at him as you loop your apron.

“Hmm, nothing, nothing. Oh manager said he wants you to help pick out coffee beans in the back.” Hyuk pushes your forehead lightly with his finger.

As he looks at your figure disappearing towards the back he snaps his head in the opposite direction and sneakily goes out through the side entrance to hear Jaehwan and Hongbin’s conversation.

“So what did you want to talk about?” Jaehwan mimics Hongbin’s head movements from earlier.

“I’ll just be frank, why are you suddenly acting so clingy towards y/n?” All the playfulness from Hongbin’s voice and facial expressions gone as he looked straight at Jaehwan.

“What do you mean, she’s my friend too you know.” Jaehwan feigns ignorance.

“The way I remember it, you couldn’t wait to see y/f/n and now you’re acting like she never existed.” Hongbin’s snarky comment left a bad taste in Jaehwan’s mouth.

“When did I ever-“

“This past week you’ve been clinging to Y/n, don’t approach her with half-hearted feelings. Or were you just playing around, after you got her bestfriend you got bored and decided you’d go after her?” Hongbin furrows his eyebrows as he looks at Jaehwan’s shifting expressions.

“You’re one to talk, if I remember you only wanted a muse.” Jaehwan steps closer to Hongbin. A menacing aura around them threatening to explode.

“You don’t know anything so stop flapping your lips and find someone else to mess with. Can’t you see she feels uncomfortable around you.” Hongbin’s voice dropped even lower than what seemed possible as he stepped closer to Jaehwan.

Hyuk couldn’t help but snicker as he listened to them, two grown men with nearly the same height arguing in front of a café was a spectacle.

Before he could stop the two of them, he saw Jaehwan ready to raise his fist before the door behind him pushed him forward, causing him to stumble onto the ground and into their view.

“Who the heck pushed the door?” Hyuk groaned and he got up and looked behind him before he went wide-eyed and whispered under his breath, “oh .”

Y/n stared at Hongbin’s clenched hand on Jaehwan’s collar whilst Jaehwan clenched his fist, threatening to hit Hongbin. “What’re you two doing?” You walk towards them noticing their slightly tousled hair and short breathes. If you weren’t in this situation, you’d think two cute guys getting close and arguing would be somewhat cute.

You walked up to the both of them, lightly pulling Hongbin’s hand off of Jaehwan’s collar. “Jaehwan, you know Hongbin is our model. Don’t ever think about punching him. You two are causing a scene in front of the café, please calm down and go home. Hongbin and I still have some things to talk about.” You glare at Jaehwan’s angered expression.

“But, y/n-“

“Just stop Jaehwan. I don’t care what you guys were talking about. Just go home.” You turn your back as you grab Hyuk and Hongbin before heading back inside.

Jaehwan heaves a heavy sigh before turning around and walking away.

“Ouch.” Hyuk says loudly before you left go of the both of them.

“Sorry did I hurt you?”

“No but I think Jaehwan was probably thinking that.” Hyuk nods his head.

You turn your head towards Hongbin, the obvious frustration still displayed on his face. “I’m not going to ask you what happened but you should probably go home too. I took your camera inside with me, I just wanted to give it back before you left.”

Hongbin’s face seemed to relax when he saw your worried expression. “I’m sorry, thanks. I’ll talk to you after I’ve calmed down.”

As soon as Hongbin left, you whipped your head in Hyuk’s direction before cornering him into the break room. “Do you know what happened between those two?”

“I dunno, I see a lot of things happen.” Hyuk feigns ignorance.

“Hyuk.”

“Y/n.”

“Ok, I’ll tell you if you give me a hug.” Hyuk breaks out into a huge grin.

“No way am I hugging a bear.”

“Daw, come on.” Hyuk glomps himself onto you. “I really don’t know what happened though I just came outside when you pushed me to the ground.” Hyuk lies, hoping you’ll stop interrogating him.

“Ok, ok, I’m sorry for pushing you.”

“Hey, you two lovebirds, get back to work your breaks almost over.” Your manager chides behind the two of you.

“We’re cute together right manager?” Hyuk teases as he turns around and swings your arms with his.

“In your dreams you big baby.” You chuckle before heading to the counter.


A few days passed before your next session with Hongbin and Jaehwan. You decided you’d apologize for being too harsh on Jaehwan. Truth be told you wished he would just spend his time on y/f/n so you could cleanly forget about him.

You walked into the studio, ruminating on the exact lines to say to him only to find Hongbin sitting alone.

“Where’s Jaehwan? He usually gets here before me.”

“Apparently, he decided to back out of the project. He talked to the professor already.”

"Oh."


 

TBC.

Sorry it took me so long to update. Hope you guys still enjoyed. I keep changing the story line so now I'm back to square one on who the MC is going to end up with. I'm seriously taking suggestions. x.x