Chapter 10

Accidental Letter

The sound of your ragged breath rang in your ears as you opened the door to Jellyfish café. It was apparent your face was flushed from the way everyone was peering at you.

Why you ran was a question you still had no answer to, you just knew you had to get away from Jaehwan. Passing by the customers you stormed into the break room leaving Hyuk standing in confusion at the cash register.  

You sat idly, unsure of what exactly happened or how things ended up the way they did. Jaehwan said he liked y/f/n, him kissing you made no sense.

The hell am I? Target practice? You heaved a sigh not wanting to think about him.

“You just going to sit there looking all transfixed?” Hyuk waved his hand in front of you.

“Do you even know what transfixed means you big baby?” You snapped out of your thoughts.

“Someone’s in a bad mood?” Hyuk surrenders before fixing your hair. “Why does it look like you ran from a ghost?”

“Aren’t you supposed to be working?” You shake your head at the touch of his fingers.

“Hey, I’m trying to fix your hair. I’m on break. Come and have a cup of coffee with me.” He leads you out the room before preparing a cup of coffee for the both of you.

“Patient y/n, please tell me, why do you look so distressed?” Hyuk half joked as he placed the drink in front of you.

Heaving a sigh you gather your thoughts and take a sip of the warm liquid, “if someone kisses you when they say they like someone else what do you think that means?”

“Hmmm, isn’t that person just a playboy then?”

You sat quietly drinking your coffee. A playboy?

“Or maybe that person has mixed feelings?” Hyuk smirked.

“Mixed feelings?” You squeak.

“Or could it be the other person they kissed is a replacement because this person got rejected?”

“Could that be it?” You give a soulless laugh.

“Oh look, it’s Hongbin and y/f/n.” Hyuk points his head toward the window.

Mentally groaning, you wished you went somewhere else instead before your shift started.

“Hey y/n, I thought you were still with Jaehwan?” Hongbin grins before sitting next to you.

“Ahaha, something came up.”

“So did Jaehwan kiss you again?” Your best friend asked sitting down.

You nearly spit your coffee out at the question. “What’re you talking about? I thought you two were dating?”

Y/f/n simply smiled at you. She usually teased you but lately she was always asking you strange questions and stared at you as if you were some science experiment.

Fiddling your thumbs, everyone fell into an awkward silence.

“Y/n, your fingers are so pretty.”

Visibly freezing in your seat you look over at Hongbin and shyly thank him.

Hongbin takes your hand in his before looking closely at them. You try to pull out of his grip but it’s too strong. Hongbin was flat out playing footsies with your hand and there was nothing you could do as the two across from you stared in fascination.

His hands were slightly cold compared to yours. The contrast between his big hands to your smaller ones made you think about what it would be like to hold Jaehwan’s hand in the same way.

“For my next project would you mind being my muse? I think I have a hand now. It’s so soft.” Hongbin asks as he examines your hands even more.

“Please let go-“

“No PDA, it’s gross.” Hyuk interjects before slashing his own hands between yours.

You look at Hyuk thankfully as he winks in response.

“Oh, I invited Jaehwan on my way here. He should be here soon.” Your best friend finally spoke up.

Letting that statement sink in you start to panic. This day couldn’t get any worse.

As if on queue Jaehwan bursts through the door. His eyes were frantically searching around him as if he lost someone in a crowd. You see him still as he spots your table and takes long strides in your direction.

You hadn't noticed Hongbin scoot closer to you, his hand holding onto yours again as Jaehwan glanced at you for what seemed like an eternity. 

Looking down at your lap you try to pull out of Hongbin’s hand. “You must really like skinship.” You try to joke.

“Only with you.” He replies seriously.

“You two are so cute. Are you guys dating?” Y/f/n giggles.

“No.” You scrunch your eyebrows.

“Not yet.” Hongbin smiles, you look over at him not quite sure whether his demeanor was one you should take seriously.

Hyuk chuckled at the sound of Jaehwan clicking his tongue.

The situation you were in couldn't get anymore awkward. Hongbin wouldn’t let go of your hand. Hyuk and your best friend were only fueling Hongbin on and Jaehwan was awkwardly standing by your table as he stole glances at you.

Unexpected, he grabbed y/f/n’s wrist, “I need to talk to you.” Before he hurriedly dragged her out the café.

I don't know why he’s lying they have to be dating. He’s probably jealous because Hyuk is sitting next to her or something. You pout to yourself.

Finally getting out of Hongbin’s grip you heave another long sigh. “I don’t feel too well, Hyuk can you cover for me. I want to go home.”

“Sure, Hongbin why don't you drive y/n home.” Hyuk adds before you can get out of your seat.

Hongbin takes your hand in his as if it was the most natural thing to do, “of course.” He beams.

“I’ll call you later, y/n.” Hyuk grins.

Following Hongbin to his car, he opens the door for you before getting in the drivers seat. For the most part the ride is mostly filled with you giving him directions and a strange calm silence.

Right before arriving Hongbin starts fidgeting.

“Are you okay Hongbin?”

“Y/n, I know I seem kind of like a playboy but I actually have a delicate heart.” To your shock, Hongbin’s usual grin and playful tone are nowhere to be found.

Not knowing what to say, you open and close your mouth repeatedly like an idiot.

“I’m joking.” Hongbin chuckles, his usual playful tone returning.

“Oh right. Haha.” You answer almost robotically.

Pulling into the driveway Hongbin sighs nervously.

“Y/n, you might not believe me but I really do like you. More than a friend.” A melancholic smile appearing on his face.

Why does he look so sad?

Before you could even form a sentence Hongbin rambles, “I’m not asking for an answer. I just wanted you to know. Later on when I’ve strengthened my resolve and I show you I really mean it I’ll ask for an answer. For now, it's okay if you see me as a friend.” Hongbin bites his lip, his nervousness obvious.

“Thank you Hongbin. I’ll take what you’re saying seriously.” You smile back at him, your mind racing.

 “Have a good evening. I hope you feel better.” He grins as you thank him before you step out the car and wave goodbye.

Pulling out of the driveway and parking a few blocks away from your home Hongbin puffed his cheeks out as he thought about what he just did. “Y/f/n is going to kill me.”


 

“Sooo what’d you want to talk about?” Y/f/n arches her brow.

“Who's the person who y/n likes?”

“That’s something you should ask her Jaehwan. More importantly, why does it bother you so much?” Y/f/n smirks.

"Because Hyuk and Hongbin won't leave her alone." He frowns.

"But why does it bother you that they won't leave her alone?"

"Why does it bother me so much?" Jaehwan tilts his head in confusion. 

Y/f/n stares at Jaehwan as she screams the answer in her own head. Because you like her you idiot. 

"Because she's my friend." He furrows his eyesbrows. 

Poking Jaehwan's forehead, y/f/n pushed him against the wall of the art studio. "Think about it Jaehwan, why did you kiss my best friend? Do you care about Hyuk and Hongbin because she's your friend or because you're jealous?" I swear if this boy doesn't get it soon I'm going to slam their faces together and lock them in a room. 

Y/f/n stared Jaehwan down, watching his every reaction before his eyes suddenly widened. 

"Oh, I-I'm so stupid." Jaehwan blinks as the realization hits him. 

"Do you get it now?" Y/f/n sighs in relief. 

"It's because Hyuk and Hongbin aren't good enough for her." Jaehwan nods his head at his own statement. 

Is it possible to be this dense about your own feelings? Y/f/n purses her lips together. 

"Jaehwan, you said you like me right?"

"Yeah?" 

"Do you ever think about kissing me?" Y/f/n smiles wickedly. 

 


 

 

TBC. 

I feel like this update is kind of boring. I still don't know who MC is going to end up with. Anyone want to tell me who they think it should be? x.x