Chapter 5

Accidental Letter

“I’ll steal you away because I like you. Please look at me because I like you.” Hongbin looked at you with such serious eyes.

You nearly choked on the coffee you sipped. Your face felt hot, you couldn’t look him in the eyes.

“Which concept do you two like better?” Hongbin asked in a teasing voice.

“I veto these concepts, you’re making y/n uncomfortable.” Jaehwan clicked his tongue at Hongbin.

And there was that cold atmosphere coming from Jaehwan again. You still couldn’t figure out why he was so stiff around Hongbin, usually he was cheerful around everyone.

“I can’t change the concept, I already talked it over with my professor it has to be one or the other.”

You were almost sure Hongbin enjoyed teasing the both of you from the faint smirk gracing his lips.

“Oh, you have a bit of coffee residue on the corner of your lips.” Hongbin reached over to wipe your mouth before Jaehwan grabbed Hongbin’s forearm to stop him.

“You’re making her uncomfortable.” Jaehwan nearly sneered.

“I see you’re all getting along.” Your best friend walked up to the table you were all sitting around before she sat down on the empty seat beside Jaehwan.

From the corner of your eyes you could see Jaehwan’s blush creep on his face before he let go of Hongbin’s arm.

“What’re you doing here? I thought you still had class?” You smiled up at your best friend, welcoming the change in conversation. 

“Class ended early, anyway what’re you guys doing?”

“Say, does y/n have a boyfriend?” Hongbin grinned at your best friend.

“Ask her that yourself.” Your friend giggled as she looked over at Jaehwan who had his full attention on you.

You felt your face flush, three sets of eyes staring at you, waiting for your response.

“No.” You answered meekly.

“Have anyone you like then?” Hongbin pried.

“This has nothing to do with the project, you’re making her uncomfortable. Why do you even care?” Jaehwan interjected.

“Because I like her.” Hongbin deadpanned.

This time it was Jaehwan’s turn to choke on his coffee. “You can’t!”

Hongbin looked at Jaehwan quizzically.

“This is a project, keep your personal emotions out of it.” Jaehwan sighed in frustration.

“But don't you think Hongbin and y/n would make a cute couple?” Your best friend nudged Jaehwan.

“Who knows.” Jaehwan frowned.

You wanted the ground to swallow you whole. How did this turn into an interrogation?

“So do you have anyone you like y/n?” Your best friend raised an eyebrow.

You felt like crawling under a rock, you didn’t want to answer knowing your friend would sniff out your lie. You slowly turn your eyes in Jaehwan’s direction to see him staring at you too. 

“Breaks over y/n.” Hyuk called over the counter.

You quickly stand up mentally thanking Hyuk for getting you out of that situation.

“Why don’t you guys finalize the project and update me later on.” You quickly scurry away to Hyuk.


 

“So who is it? Jaehwan or Hongbin?” Hyuk teases as you both pick out bad coffee beans.

“Jaehwan likes y/f/n and Hongbin is just working with us on a project.” You frown throwing a coffee bean at Hyuk.

“Is that so?” You hear Hyuk giggle to himself.

Hyuk always had a way of teasing you that made you relax. “Y/n, you okay? I was just teasing you.”

You dropped the coffee beans into the tray in front of you before grabbing Hyuk’s sides and tickling him.

“You’re years to early to be teasing your elder.”

“But you’re such a midget, I couldn’t help it.” Hyuk laughs trying to pry off your hands.

“Shut it you overgrown puppy.”

“Okay I give up.” Hyuk surrenders in a fit of giggles.

You let go of his sides only to be attacked by him this time.

“Let go you overgrown giant.” 

Hyuk laughs alongside with you before letting go completely, “Sorry didn’t see you there.”

You turn your head to see Jaehwan frowning at the both of you.

“Oh, sorry. Did you want to pay?” You blush in embarrassment.

“No, I was just gonna tell you that y/f/n and Hongbin left. I wanted to talk with you about something after your shift so I’ll wait for you.”

“Oh, sure.”

Jaehwan smiles at you before heading back to the now empty table.

It was a good thing that no one really came in during closing time.

“Ohh, is he going to confess to you?” Hyuk popped up next to you as soon as Jaehwan sat down.

You jab Hyuk's side with your elbow. “Very funny, I told you he liked y/f/n.”

Hyuk looked down at you as if he wanted to laugh.

“What?”

“Nothing, y/n you sure you don’t like him?”

“And if I did, would it matter? He likes my best friend.” You tiptoe to flick his forehead.

“Then what about Hongbin?”

“He’s pretty but I don’t like him.”

Hyuk grinned at you.

“Stop asking me weird questions already you giant.” You jut your bottom lip out as you look at him. 

“Okay, okay. You’re too cute.” Hyuk smiles as he flicks your forehead in return.

“Oh, I’m closing today so you can leave before me.” You remind him.


 

“What’d you want to talk about Jaehwan?” You sit down in front of him as soon as Hyuk leaves.

Jaehwan sits there and stares at you intently.

You can’t help but blush at his piercing eyes. Maybe he wants to talk about y/f/n.

“Is it about y/f/n?” You ask tilting your head to the side.

“Do you like Hyuk?” Jaehwan deadpans.

“Eh? N-no Hyuk is like my little brother.”

To your confusion, you visibly see Jaehwan sigh in relief.

“Do you like Hongbin?” Jaehwan tenses at his own question.

“No. Why are you asking me this?”

You see a blush creep on Jaehwan’s face that spreads all the way to his ears.

“Well, we’re friends so I just wanted to know. You know, since you know who I like I thought I could help you with the person you like.” He responds in a rushed tone.

“It’s okay, the person I like isn’t available.” You bite your lip.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure. Just like you I helped him get together with another friend of mine.” You lied.

“Sorry.”

“It’s getting late. Can you just tell me what you wanted to talk about, I still need to commute home.”

“Please look at me because I like you.”

 


Yeahhh que awkward cliff hanger. I don't know where I'm going with this. aha. x.x