A Chance of Something New (7)

A Chance of Something New

A man looked outside his window. Somehow, the luxurious view that he had paid for did not seem to cheer him up. Not tonight. Taking a big gulp of his bourbon, he let his mind wandered to those years when he had HER in his life. A girl with the sweetest smile and a heart that was meant to love. She was the sunshine that brightened his life, until it all went away. He knew that he was foolish to let her go but he did. Ever since that day, he regretted his decision for it caused a big hole where his heart used to be. A hole that will never be repaired. Finding tears on his cheeks, he quickly wiped them away when he heard a knock on his door.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

"Mom.... Hurry up, we are going to be late. Sheesh, mom. Why can't we just go? Mom....." Yoogeun shouted from the opposite side of Suzy's door. Grumbling to himself, he stood there, waiting for his mom to get ready as he wore his brand new school uniform. Hair short and tidy - check. Uniform clean and neat - check. Books in bag - check. School shoes and socks - check.

 

 

Normally, it was Suzy was the one who had to wake Yoogeun up. Repeatedly. That boy hated it when his sleep got interrupted and it was a constant battle of tug-a-war with his blanket. Thankfully, Suzy won most of the time, either by bribing him with chocolates or spraying his face with cold water. However, this day was different. This was the day that Yoogeun started his first day at his new school. He was super excited about it especially after hearing that they have their own swimming pool as well as mini stadium from  Uncle Key that he became the one who played tug-a-war with her blanket. His previous school only had a small field that was badly needing repairs after the years of abuse. Bald patches across the field had been one of the reasons why Yoogeun was reluctant to play football there after being injured when he fell.

 

 

"Haha.. Okay.. Okay.. I'm coming out." Suzy laughed as she found herself being caught up in her son's excitement too. She was happy to see that he had little problem adjusting to his new environment. In fact, he adjusted better than she did. For that, Suzy was grateful. Suzy, on the other hand had trouble sleeping, tossing and turning all because of HIM. A few days ago, after their first encounter in the morning, Suzy tried to convince herself that he was an idiot, a rude erted idiot. It almost worked until she met him again. Again, his cologne assaulted her senses, making her feel defensive. She knew that she should not have insulted him like that, but Suzy was not keen on exploring that part of her heart that jumped up in excitement whenever he was around.

 

 

"Wait. Please wait." Suzy instinctively pressed the elevator door open again after hearing her neighbour's voice, only to vigorously pressed the close button when she saw who was it. Unfortunately, HE managed to slip in just as when the door closed."Hey, Thanks. I thought I almost... You??!!! I should have known. That was done on purpose." Minho scoffed as he turned to look at her. Before Suzy could retort, there was a voice that interrupted. "Look, Mom.. It's that Clumsy Ahjussi. Anneyohaesaeyo, Ahjussi." Yoogeun bowed slightly before waving as he broke into a smile. " Are you going to work, Ahjussi? Why are you wearing that? How come you also have a bag with a tennis racket ? Do you have a tennis court in your workplace? Wow... My school have a swimming pool and a stadium. I'm Yoogeun and this is my mommy. We are going to my school.  It's my first day today and I can't wait to meet new friends. Mom say that it's okay if I don't have much friends yet but I want to because I want to play with my new friends. I didn't have much friends in my old school. Ahjussi, do you want to be Yoogeun's friend? I promise to share my toys with you. I like to play football. Can I play with you?" Minho looked down at the small boy who had been talking nonstop in the elevator as they travelled down towards the lobby. He sneaked a glance at his mother who suddenly found the poster in front of her to be more interesting before seeing Yoogeun widened his eyes in anticipation and fluttering them as he cocked his head to the side. Damn, he's good. His aegyo is on point that it would seem heartless to say no to those big eyes. Eyes that remind me of myself.

 

 

If not for the fact that Minho had a strict rule against being close to married women, he would have said yes immediately for he loved children especially if they are not his. He was not going to break that rule though. Married women were trouble. Married woman who looked like an angel that descended from heavens was a big NO-NO.

 

 

As luck would have it, they had reached the lobby. Minho would have just brushed Yoogeun aside and went on his way to work, but the look in her eyes stopped him. It was shimmering as though she was holding back on her tears. His eyes then lowered towards her lips where she was unconsciously biting on them as though trying to prevent herself from sobbing. Why? Why did those words from her child caused such a reaction? What secrets did those sad eyes hold? Without realising it,  Minho kneeled down to Yoogeun and nodded. What Yoogeun did after that, surprised him though. Yoogeun hugged him tightly and said "Thank you."

 

 

Minho strolled into his office, looking dazed. He kept replaying that moment over and over again. Yoogeun's hug was nothing spectacular as he had been hugged by lots of children before, but his hug was different. He felt warmth radiating from that boy. He felt like hugging him tighter and not letting go. He wanted to tell him that everything would be all right and that he would keep out the baddies away from him. Even though their moment was rudely cut short by his mother who grabbed Yoogeun and walked away quickly while muttering about being late for school, Minho didn't felt offended as Yoogeun turned back to him and waved back excitedly at him. It was a few minutes later that Minho snapped out of it when Key shouted in his ear "Yah! Choi Minho..... Stop standing in front of the elevator. The rest of us have lives, you know. We need the elevator to go home."

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Ahjussi, do you want to be Yoogeun's friend?..... Can I play with you?" Suzy kept replaying those words that haunted her since morning. Her heart broke when she heard Yoogeun said those words. In these past ten years, Suzy had thought that she had been enough. She thought that Yoogeun would be satisfied with just having her around. She did not realised that Yoogeun needed male companionship too. Most of her old neighbours were females with only one Harabeoji living on the 1st floor, but he was quite old and had not much interaction with Yoogeun. He was such a sweet boy who never asked for much. Suzy knew that he was curious but he only had asked about his father once when he was seven years old. It was for his show and tell presentation in which he had to talk about his father.

 

Flashback________________

 

"Mommy, where is Yoogeun's Daddy? Why didn't he come? Hongbin, Youngjae and Woohyun's daddies came for their show and tell presentations. It was fun. Hongbin's dad made origami animals for us. And even Mi Young's daddy bought for us rice cakes to eat. Yesterday, I heard that Candy Store Ahjumma say to Auntie Fei that I was a 's son.. a bastard.. Auntie Fei got so angry that she scold Candy Store Ahjumma. Auntie Fei is scary. She shouted at Candy Store Ahjumma and tell her not to say those bad words. Yoogeun got scared. What is that, Mommy.. What is a bastard?" Yoogeun asked innocently, making Suzy's heart clenched in pain. "Yoogeun.. Auntie Fei was right. Those are bad words. I want you to know that you are special and not those things what Candy Store Ahjumma said you are. Don't think about them anymore, okay? Daddy loved us, I'm sure he did but Daddy had to go far, far away. If he had known you, I don't think he will want to go anywhere as it's hard not to love you. But Daddy is no longer with us, he died before you were born. You have Mommy and Mommy will make sure that it's enough because Mommy loves you so, so much..." A silent vow was made that night to make sure that Yoogeun would not be missing any of his daddy's love as it was not needed due to Suzy's overwhelming love for him. 

 

_________________________

 

Looking back, Suzy wondered was it really enough? In her need to preserve her sanity, she closed off all other emotions that does not include Yoogeun. She chose to concentrate on Yoogeun, locking her heart away for good where it cannot be shattered anymore. Sure, there were guys interested in getting to know her and Fei had initially wanted to set her up with her male friends, but Suzy was adamant. Besides, most ended up being not interested when it was known that she had a child. Not that Suzy cared in the first place. Most just saw her as a pretty face they would love to bang, none actually taking any effort to really get to know her. 

 

"Hey, a won for your thoughts?.. Or maybe I need to give more than that considering you are still spacing out." With a smile on her face, Yeri decided to "wake" Suzy up by splashing a bit of her cold mineral water onto Suzy. "Yah! What was that for? Now I'm wet." 

 

 

"Then you should have answered me. Can't help it if you looked good being wet?!!" Yeri snickered. 

 

 

"Yeri, Yoogeun said something earlier and I just can't seem to stop thinking about it. Should I find him a father? I mean, maybe, he should have someone to talk to, you know, about boy stuff? I mean, all his life, he only had me. What if I'm not enough? What if he needs to have a father figure to turn out right? What if by behaving like this, I am denying him the right to have a father in his life? What if Yoogeun hates me for not letting him have a father?"

 

Seeing that Suzy was about to have a panic attack, Yeri immediately tried to calm her down. "Suzy, stop it. Take deep breaths. I have seen you with Yoogeun. Trust me when I said that YOU are enough for him. YOU did a lot for him, sacrificed so much just so that he will have a good future. And any one can see how much that boy adores you. He's a smart kid and I do think that he knows how much he means to you, okay?!! Don't worry about it. Calm down.. Breathe in.. Breathe out."

 

Although Yeri managed to calm Suzy eventually, she still can't stop thinking about it, especially when her thoughts strayed to a certain tall, big-eyed man who managed to press all sorts of buttons in her. Would it be wise of her to let those thoughts take over her? Or will it lead her to more pain and heartbreak, this time worse as she won't be the only one who got hurt?

 

-------------------------------------------

 

A/N: I'm so sorry for the delay. It was supposed to be up on New Year's day but I had to settle some stuff before school reopened. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this update, and Happy New Year 2016. Hope this coming year will be a better one and filled with lots of love and happiness for u and ur family :)