A Chance of Something New (1)

A Chance of Something New

It was a warm, beautiful morning with mild scattering of clouds in the sky. There was a slight breeze whispering around her body, enveloping her in their warmth. Yup, it's a perfect day to move. After years of scrimping and saving with minimal expenditure on herself, Suzy managed to save enough to snag this unbelievable deal. The previous owner wanted to let go of this apartment as soon as possible before their migration to Australia and was willing to negotiate on a reasonable price. 

 

 

Yup, today would be the day when a new chapter would unfold in her life. No more tiny, moldy apartment which needed lots of repairs that overlooked a shady alleyway with questionable businesses. No more late night scares after returning from work when drunk men seemed to think that she's an easy prey or sirens breaking the silence of the night when people fights which usually ended up in bloodspills. No more frantic knocking with shouts of vulgarities on her door when loansharks mistook her apartment for a neighbour who was in bad debt. The first time that happened, her child had been so traumatised that he refused to sleep and cried the whole night long, causing Suzy to be late for work.

 

 

That was not the best environment to bring up her child but it was the best she could do considering her circumstances. Being a single, unmarried mother in a conservative Asian society was tough and Suzy had to deal with lots of negativity and hardships to the point that she had felt like giving up and crawled back home to beg, but the look on her child's face each time he looked at her made it worthwhile. Suzy had learned to ignore the whisperings behind her back like the false accusations of her being a for being unmarried and desperate enough to seduce their husbands or boyfriends which made her roll her eyes mentally as well as assumptions regarding the father of her child like he's a married man,thus she's a mistress etc. People are funny; they would rather create nonsense and false rumours to make their one-sided judgement more believable just to cover their own insecurities instead of actually seeing the real picture.

 

Yoogeun....

 

 

The love of her life. The reason for her constant struggles against the world. Her sunshine that brightens up her day. Her everything....

 

 

Even though she could have chosen the easy way out and had an abortion 10 years ago to save herself all these troubles, she was glad that she did not take that route, for she would not have him in her life right now. Suzy will never regret that decision, even after being disowned with nothing but a small suitcase and her wallet along with whatever money she had in that same wallet. Not after having her heart broken into a million pieces by the man whom she thought loved her too.

 

 

Growing up, Yoogeun's childhood had been filled with memories of a tired-looking Suzy who had to work two jobs in order to make ends meet, often relying on her kind-hearted neighbour, Fei, who would help to take care of Yoogeun while she was busy earning money for their basic necessities. Suzy tried her best to be there for him, though it was never enough. She often cried silently to herself at night whenever she remembered his sad face each time she had to refuse his plea to accompany him for his school's excursions and his eventual acceptance that she would need to work in order to have the money, causing him to stop going as those excursions costs money too.

 

 

 

A big break in Suzy's life came a few years later when she saw an opening at JYP Private Limited. Initially, she was hired to be a receptionist in one of their branch offices. Months of dedication soon showed as she was promoted a year after she joined to be an assistant clerk to Ms Min, before her determination and hard work promoted her once again to be a personal secretary to Mr Kwon. With this new promotion, Suzy was finally able to afford a new change in her environment, to find a better one for Yoogeun. 

 

 

 

 

She was sad to leave her neighbours behind as they had been a great help in taking care of Yoogeun while she was busy, but they understood that Suzy and Yoogeun needed to leave. Yoogeun needed to be in a better environment in order to thrive as he was a smart boy and he should be placed in a better school than where he was right now. He had the potential to go far and no matter how much the neighbours loved that boy, they would not stand in his way of achieving greatness. With lots of hugs and promises of keeping in touch, Suzy and Yoogeun finally left to go to their new apartment in Midtown Seoul. Looking at Yoogeun, who had been super excited to move, Suzy smiled and wished in her heart that Yoogeun will find only happiness from now onwards.