09

She's Already Taken

Kyungsoo slowly made her way into the gardens near the castle, Sehun had asked to see her and while she detested that man, she was the better person.

 

“Kyungsoo.” She stopped and looked ahead of her.

 

Sehun stood in front of her with a cold expression “Sehun.” She said.

 

“Do you know why I’ve asked to see you?” He asked taking a step towards her.

 

Kyungsoo frowned “Should I know?”

 

Sehun scoffed “Don’t act innocent, Luhan found out because of you. I almost got killed by her older brother because of you!” He shouted.

 

Kyungsoo sighed with a small chuckle “I said nothing of the sort to her. She must have asked one of the maids. And it’s only natural Yifan did what he did, he’s protective like that. His little sister was infatuated with an engaged man, not that he had the decency to act as such though.” She brought her arms to her chest and looked away from Sehun “I’d prefer you not blame this on me, however, that’s how you are. Though I don’t particularly care that you and Luhan seemed to be so in love, it would have been smarter to tell her beforehand rather than her having to unfortunately find out on her own.”

 

Sehun just stared at her “What? Shocked that I don’t care in the slightest that you two were endlessly fawning over each other?” She laughed “Don’t be stupid, you know just as well as anyone that I gave nothing of consent to be betrothed to you. Do what you will, I’m ending this engagement.” And she turned to leave.

 

That night, Kyungsoo returned to the castle with her brother and close friends, though, she wasn't expecting to see Luhan that night.

 

"Kyungsoo." She said softly walking up to her.

 

"Luhan." Kyungsoo said turning to her.

 

"Can I speak with you for a moment?"

 

Kyungsoo nodded and followed her out of the ballroom and into one of the hallways before Luhan turned to face her and took a breath "I apologize." Luhan said looking down at her hands.

 

Kyungsoo chuckled "No need to apologize." She said waving a dismissive hand “He is nothing to me as I nothing to him. If you love him, then it cannot be helped can it? The heart knows what it wants.”

 

Luhan frowned a little however, “But what he did…”

 

“Definitely not what one would consider gentlemanly, however, the Sehun you saw is the real Sehun. He did not pretend in front of you.” Kyungsoo touched her wrist gently.

 

Luhan met Kyungsoo’s gaze “How do you know?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled “Sehun may be a royal pain in my and I may dislike him, but I am not a fool nor will I ever hold a grudge against him. Luhan, you’re a beautiful and sweet girl and Sehun took a true liking to you.”

 

“I really like him, he was so sweet and funny, gentle… I just don’t know how I feel about how he treated you…”

 

“What you saw was truly him, I promise you. Do not worry over me, what he did to me is nothing you should worry about. If he makes you happy, then maybe sometime you can learn to forgive him for things that you feel he has wronged in his life, but I should not be a part of that. He and I will settle this situation soon.”

 

“Are you breaking the engagement?” Luhan asked softly.

 

“Yes. And for good. It is obvious that neither one of us wishes it anyway.”

 

Luhan nodded “Will you be okay?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled taking Luhan’s hands “I will be fine, I always am.”

 

Luhan smiled gently “You’re really strong, I wish I could be like you… I cried like a child when I found out about the engagement and figuring out that I was infatuated with him so much and he was supposed to be with you, I’ve never cried so much before since I was a child.”

 

“Don’t worry, you don’t need to be strong, you just need to be you, that is all you need because that’s what you need.”

 

Luhan smiled chuckling softly “I can see why Kai likes you so much.”

 

“Kai?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

Luhan nodded “Kai has told me about you when it was just you two, I’ve never heard him talk about someone the way he talked about you… He’s looking for you tonight too, so don’t hide from him, okay?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled “I’ll be sure not to hide from him. But, you should go dance, go enjoy yourself.”

 

Luhan smiled and nodded giving Kyungsoo a gentle hug before she disappeared into the ballroom filled with people.

 

“Who was that?” Kyungsoo turned to find Baekhyun standing in the doorway.

 

“Luhan.” Kyungsoo answered walking up to her.

 

“Luhan? Yifan’s little sister? The one that brat fraternized with?”

 

Kyungsoo nodded “She did nothing wrong Baek and you know that, Sehun was in the fault, I as well.”

 

Baekhyun pursed her lips “Well, as long as you’re happy, that’s all I care about.”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled “So simple minded sometimes. But let’s go see the others, I’m quite curious about this Kim Joonmyun boy Yixing seems to like.”

 

Baekhyun laughed “Oh dear, maybe I should go ahead and warn him.”

 

The two walked through right as a new dance started, they paid no mind at all, more intent on finding the rest of their group, well until someone stopped them.

 

“Soo.” Kyungsoo stopped and turned around.

 

“Kai?”

 

“Kai?” Baekhyun asked looking between the two of them confused.

 

“May I have this dance?” He asked gently, holding his hand out.

 

Kyungsoo smiled a little before nodding taking his hand.

 

Kai smiled leading her out to the dance floor where the two bowed to each other and reconnected, their hands placed perfectly together, Kai gently holding the small of her back with Kyungsoo holding his shoulder.

 

“I wondered where you disappeared to.” Kai said softly looking down at her.

 

“I was speaking to Luhan.”

 

“Is everything okay?” He asked worried.

 

She smiled “Everything is fine, she was more intent on knowing if I was okay.”

 

“And you are, right?”

 

“Yes, Kai, I’m fine, I promise.”

 

He smiled “Good.”

 

“Where have you been though?” She asked looking up at him.

 

“My family missed me, I wasn’t even allowed outside most of the day yesterday because they feared I would sneak away.” He chuckled making Kyungsoo laugh.

 

“Oh? Well, we wouldn’t want that, now would we?” Kai just laughed before he met her gaze.

 

“You look beautiful tonight, you did last night too. You’re always beautiful to me though.” Kyungsoo felt her face heat up a million degrees and she laid her head on Kai’s shoulder.

 

“Thank you…” She said softly “You look very charming tonight as well, like a prince.” She chuckled.

 

“Soo, take a look around.” He then said.

 

Kyungsoo looked up at him confused before she did so, they were the only ones dancing…. Everyone had created a circle around them, allowing them the whole dance floor.

 

“What…” She asked softly.

 

Kai took her hand and spun her out before pulling her back in “Actually, my names Jongin.” He smiled “Kim Jongin.”

 

‘Kim Jongin? Where did I hear that?’

 

Then it clicked.

 

The prince of Luvalas.

 

When he pulled her back against him “Figure it out?”

 

“You lying little brat.” She glared making Jongin laugh as they kept dancing.

 

“I was wondering if you’d figured it out already and simply refused to see me, but, seeing you tonight, I knew you hadn’t, so I figured I’d give you a hint.”

 

Kyungsoo scoffed “Unbelievable. Is a crown prince and doesn’t even tell me. I can see that this friendship is very real.”

 

Jongin then stopped with the music and took her hands “I do apologize my lady, however, I usually do not speak of who I am, hence my nickname Kai. Are you mad?” He asked gazing down in to her chocolate eyes.

 

Kyungsoo stared back at him before she dropped her head laughing a little “So the mysterious quiet Kai I met in Wisteria is actually prince Kim Jongin of Luvalas. I did not expect that.” She then looked up meeting his eyes again. “But, no, I have no reason to be mad.. You’re someone I treasure as a friend and I wouldn’t get mad over something like that.”

 

Jongin smiled still holding her hand “I am glad then. Though we’ve attracted quite the crowd.” He said frowning a little taking a glance around making Kyungsoo laugh at him.

 

“What are you laughing at?” He gawked at her and she just laughed.

 

Jongin just stared at her until Chanyeol came out of the crowd “Yeol… I … I think I broke her?” He wondered somewhat worried.

 

“Who? Soo?” Chanyeol asked and then waved a hand dismissively “She’s just rude like that and laughs at people.”

 

Someone then laughed “Oh? And you don’t do the same?” Baekhyun then asked walking up next to Chanyeol.

 

“Pot meet kettle.” Chanyeol frowned making Baekhyun laugh too.

 

“This is why I never bring you people anywhere!” Yixing said walking towards them as well with a young man following “You all draw crowds!”

 

“That may be so, but we do offer the most amusing company, do we not?” Kyungsoo asked eyeing her close friend who just rolled her eyes.

 

“You should feel very privileged that I love you as I do. Otherwise I would have most likely killed you by now. You and that god awful attitude of yours.” Yixing frowned at Kyungsoo who just laughed “I mean honestly, I almost feel bad for your future husband.”

 

“Well if that is the case, maybe I should inform Joonmyun of a certain incident?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

Yixing narrowed her eyes “You swore to never speak of that again.”

 

“Yixing darling, you of all people should know that I am not always a woman of my word.”

 

Yixing scoffed a laugh “Oh believe me. I know.”

 

“Soo, may I borrow you for a while?” Jongin asked softly.

 

Kyungsoo looked up at him before nodding following her prince down to the place similar to where they met for the first time.

 

"I wanted to see you last night, but my parents wouldn't hardly let me breathe," Jongin said turning to face Kyungsoo with a small smile "But I could see you from the balcony and I would check in on you whenever I could. I also heard from the maids that Letty was sent out this morning to find you for Sehun, may I know what happened?"

 

Kyungsoo sighed a little "Nothing worth honestly fussing over. He called on me, blaming me for the fact of Yifan about ending his life, Luhan finding out that he and I were actually engaged." Jongin's eyes narrowed "I don't particularily care though, that child may do as he pleases. He is not a concern of mine, I just want this engagement over. That is the sole reason I'm here right now, my father has asked for company at noon tomorrow for lunch and I plan to tell him that I am breaking it and there is nothing he can do."

 

Jongin pursed his lips nodding his head and looking away "Jongin? Are you alright?" Kyungsoo then asked and Jongin met her eyes and reached out gently grabbing her wrist and pulling her against his chest "Things will work out." He said softly feeling her return his embrace.

 

"Why do you dote on me as you do, Jongin? I heard the women in town talking about you yesterday, why do you refuse to marry?"

 

Jongin smiled pulling back slightly and tucked her hair behind her ear "Because, the woman I wish to spend forever with hadn't yet come to me."

 

"Hadn't yet?"

 

"It doesn't matter, what matters is you freeing yourself from that betrothment of yours." Kyungsoo pressed her lips to a thin line before she simply nodded and leaned against Jongin closing her eyes breathing in his scent, loving the feeling of being wrapped in his arms.

 

"Are you tired?" He asked.

 

"Not really."

 

"Good, come with me." He smiled taking her small hand in his and leading her out of the gardens.

 

"Where are we going?" Kyungsoo asked amused following him not wanting to let go of his hand.

 

"You'll see." Jongin smiled brightly glancing back at her as he kept walking.