The Meeting

Running from Death (Discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

17/12

I never liked birthday parties. Despite my dislike towards it, my mother had decided to throw a huge “birthday party” for me. I could never understand why this time, out of all the other years, she decided to turn my birth date into a festive occasion.

“I have been hearing lots about girls your age liking to go to parties to drink and dance…” She said happily as she hung up the giant “Happy Birthday Hana!” banner on the wall, “As this is your first ever birthday party, I’ve decided to make it memorable!”

I stared at the giant hot pink banner on the wall and the table filled with party drinks – by drinks she meant: Fruit punch. Running my hand through my hair in disappointment, I sighed, “Thanks umma but I really don’t need a birthday party.”

“Don’t be silly, it’s your nineteenth birthday!” She smiled her usual eye smile, “Remember to invite all your friends!”

I nod half-heartedly while scanning the list of food to buy the next day.

“Ready for your big day tomorrow?” A gentle voice asked behind me.

I jumped slightly, “Sunbae! You scared me!”

Joonmyun sunbae placed his arm over my shoulder and peered at the list in my hands, “There’s lesser food than I thought. You know that you shouldn’t be stingy when it comes to events like this.” He criticized. I scowled in disagreement, “I think there’s enough food to go around.”

Joonmyun sunbae was always like this. Ever since we met 3 years ago when I was sixteen while he was eighteen, he was always acting as the big brother I never had. I only had an older sister that was studying law overseas.

“I guessed that you didn’t have enough friends to invite so I invited some of my classmates.” He said casually.

“Tell me you didn’t!” I gasped in horror. I had to admit that I wasn’t exactly a popular girl but even if I needed to invite more people, I would never invite seniors – furthermore they were males. He laughed, eyes turning into crescent moons, “I was joking. But some of my friends wanted to come.”

“Are you sure they want to come to a party like this?” I pointed to the kiddy decorations pasted on the walls.

He furrowed his eyebrows, “I don’t know. But I know deep down Jongdae has a for hot pink stuff.”

I fake a laugh and slap his arm lightly. Putting my attention back on the preparations for tomorrow, I scribbled down some notes about the locations of where to buy the cake, etc. Unknowingly, I let out a yawn. I didn’t know that getting ready for a birthday party was this tiring.

Without my consent, Sunbae snatched the paper from my hands, placed it on the table and pulled me out of my house while shouting, “I’ll be bringing Hana out for a breather, we’ll be back in an hour!”

Upon exiting the house, I pat his back, “That was rude but- Thanks, I needed that.”

“Treat this as your early birthday present.” He said as he pulled me far far away from the house. I tried my best to keep up with his pace as we walk jog to the bus stop. I panted, “You know that you have to tell me where we are going or else I can report you for kidnapping me.”

He smiled, “Just follow and you’ll see. Walk faster or else we won’t have enough time!” He hurrie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter