SUMMER SEVENTEEN V

We Were Liars (ON HOLD)

   

 


 

 

MY ROOM AT Windemere is wood-paneled, with cream paint. There's a green patchwork quilt on the bed. The carpet is one of those rag rugs you see in country inns.

          You were here two summers ago, I tell myself. In this room, every night. In this room, every morning.

          Presumably you were reading, playing games on iPad, choosing clothes. What do you remember?      

          Nothing.

          Tasteful botanic prints line the walls of my room, plus some art I made; a watercolor maple that used to loom over the Clairmont lawn, and two crayon drawings; one of Granny and her dogs, Prince, Phillip, and Fatima; the other of my father. I drag the wicker laundry basket from the closet, take down all the pictures, and load them into the basket.

          There's a bookshelf lined with paperbacks, teen books and fantasy I was into reading a few years back. Kids' stories I read a hundred times. I pull them down and stack them in the hallway.

          "You're giving away the books? You love books," Mummy says. She's coming out of her room wearing fresh clothes for supper. Lipstick.

         "We could give them to one of the Vineyard libraries," I say. "Or to Goodwill."

          Mummy bends over and flips through the paperbacks. "We read Charmed Life together, do you remember?"

          I nod.

          "And this one, too. The Lies of Christopher Chant. That was the year you were eight. You wanted to read everything but you weren't a good enough reader yet, so I read to you and Taeyeon for hours and hours."

          "What about Minho and Tiffany?"

          "They couldn't sit still," says Mummy. "Don't you want to keep these?"

          She reaches out and touches my cheek. I pull back. "I want these things to find a better home," I tell her.

          "I was hoping you would feel different; better when we came back to the island, is all."

          "You got rid of all Dad's stuff. You bought a new couch, new dishes, new jewelry."

          "Jessica."

          "There's nothing in our whole house that says he ever lived with us, except me. Why are you allowed to erase my father and I'm not allowed to-----"

          "Erase yourself?" Mummy says.

          "Other people might use these," I snap, pointing at the stacks of books. "People who have actual needs. Don't you think of doing good in the world?"

          At that moment, the goldens hurtle upstairs and clog the hallway where we are standing, snarfling our hands, flapping their hairy tails at our knees.

          Mummy and I are silent.

          Finally she says, "It's all right for you to moon around at the tiny beach, or whatever you did this afternoon. It's all right for you to give away your books if you feel that strongly. But I expect you at Clairmont for supper in an hour with a smile on your face for Grandad. No excuses. You understand me?"

          I nod.

          And she's gone.