WELCOME X

We Were Liars (ON HOLD)

 


 

 

GRANDAD WALKED IN on us. Taeyeon sprang up. Stepped awkwardly on the color-sorted books that had spilled across the floor.

          "I am interrupting," Grandad said.

          "No, sir."

          "Yes, I most certainly am."

          "Sorry about the dust," I said. Awkward.

          "Sara thought there might be something I'd like to read," Grandad pulled an old wicker chair to the center of the room and sat down, bending over the books.

          Taeyeon remained standing. She had to bend her head beneath the attic's slanted roof.

          "Watch yourself, young lady," Grandad said, sharp and sudden.

          "Pardon me?"

          "Your head. You could get hurt."

          "You're right," Taeyeon said. "I could get hurt."

          "So watch yourself," Grandad repeated.

          Taeyeon turned and went down the stairs without another word.

          Grandad and I sat in silnce for a moment. "She likes to read," I eventually said. "I thought she might want some of Dad's books."

          "You are very dear to me, Sooyeon," said Grandad, patting my shoulder.

          Only he calls me that. "My first grandchild."

          "I love you, too, Grandad."

          "Remember how I took you to a baseball game? You were only four."

          "Sure."

          "You had never had Cracker Jack," said Grandad.

          "I know. You bought two boxes."

          "I had to put you on my lap so you could see. You remember that, Sooyeon?"

          I did.

         "Tell me."

          I knew the kind of answer Grandad wanted me to give. It was a request he made quite often. He loved retelling key moments in Jung family history, enlarging their importance. He was always asking what something meant to you, and you were supposed to come back with details. Images. Maybe a lesson learned.

          Usually, I adored telling these stories and hearing them told. The legendary Jungs, what fun we'd had, how beautiful we were. But that day, I didn't want to.

          "It was your first baseball game," Grande prompted. "Afterward I bought you a red plastic bat. You would practice your swing on the lawn of the Boston House."

          Did Grandad know what he'd interrupted? Would he care if he did know?

          When would I see Taeyeon again?

          Would she break up with Jace?

          What would happen between us?

          "You wanted to make Cracker Jack at home," Grandad went on, though he knew I knew the story. "And Sara helped you make it. But you cried when there weren't any red and white boxes to put it in. Do you remember that?"

          "Yes, Grandad," I said, giving in. "You went all the way back to the ballpark that same day and bought two more boxes of Cracker Jack. You ate them on the drive home, just so you could give me the boxes. I remember."

          Satisfied, he stood up and we left the attic together. Grandad was shaky going downstairs, so he put his hand on my shoulder.

 


 

I FOUND TAEYEON on the perimeter path and ran to where she stood, looking out at the water. The wind was coming hard and my hair flew in my eyes. When I kissed her, her lips were salty.

 

 


 5 more of WELCOME to go!!!