VERMONT VII

We Were Liars (ON HOLD)

 

The last chapter of part 2: Vermont.


 

 

THE PHONE RINGS at ten the night before we leave for Beechwood. Mummy is in the shower. I pick up.

          Heavy breathing. Then a laugh.

          "Who is this?"

          "Jessica?"

          It's a kid, I realize. "Yeah."

          "This is Sooyoung." Tiffany's brother. He has no manners.

          "How come you're awake?"

          "Is it true you're a drug addict?" He asks me.

          "No."

          "Are you sure?"

          "You're calling to ask if I'm a drug addict?" I haven't talked to him since my accident.

          "We're on Beechwood," he says. "We got here this morning."

          I am glad he's changing the subject. I make my voice bright. "We're coming tomorrow. Is it nice? Did you go swimming yet?"

          "No."

          "Did you go on the tire swing?"

          "No," says Sooyoung. "Are sure you're not a drug addict?"

          God, I thought he has good enough sense. "Where did you even get that idea?"

          "Yuri. She says I should watch out for you."

          "Don't listen to Yuri," I say. "Listen to Tiffany."

          "That's what I'm talking about. But Yuri's the only one who believes me about Cuddledown," he says. "And I wanted to call you. Only not if you're a drug addict because drug addicts don't know what's going on."

          "I'm not a drug addict, you pipsqueak," I say. Though possibly I am lying.

          "Cuddledown is haunted," says Sooyoung. "Can I come and sleep with you at Windemere?"

          I like Sooyoung. I do. He's slightly bonkers and lanky and Tiffany loves him way more than she loves the twins. "It's not haunted. The wind just blows through the house," I say. "It blows through Windemere, too. The windows rattle."

          "It is too, haunted," he says back. "Mummy doesn't believe me and neither does Yoona."

          When he was younger, he was always the kid who thought there were monsters in the closet. Later, he was convinced there was a sea monster under the dock.

          "Ask Tiffany to help you," I tell him. "She'll read a bedtime story or sing to you."

          "You think so?"

          "She will. And when I get there, I'll take you tubing and snorkeling and it'll be a grand summer, okay?"

          "Okay," he says.

          "Don't be afraid of stupid old Cuddletown," I tell him. "Show it who's boss and I'll see you tomorrow."

          He hangs up without saying goodbye.

 

 


A/N: Keep in mind of all the Jungs family traits