VERMONT V

We Were Liars (ON HOLD)

 

This is one of Jessica's fairy-tale:


 

 

ONCE UPON A there was a king who had three beautiful daughters. He loved each of them dearly. One day, when the young ladies were of age to be married, a terrible, three-headed dragon laid siege to the kingdom, burning villages with fiery breath. It spoiled crops and burned churches. It killed babies, old people, and everyone in between.

          The king promised a princess's hand in marriage to whoever slayed the dragon. Heroes and warriors came in suits of armor, riding brave horses and bearing swords and arrows.

          One by one, these men were slaughtered and eaten.

          Finally, the king reasoned that a maiden might melt the dragon's heart and succeed where warriors had failed. He sent his eldest daughter to beg the dragon for mercy, but the dragon listened to not a word of her pleas and swallowed her whole.

          Then the king sent his second daughter to beg the dragon for mercy, but the dragon did the same. Swallowed her before she could even get a word out.

          The king then sent his youngest daughter to beg the dragon for mercy, and she was so lovely and clever that he was sure she would succeed where the others had perished.

          No indeed. The dragon simply ate her.

          The king was left aching with regret. He was now alone in the world.

          Now, let me ask you this. Who killed the princesses?

          The dragon? Or their father?

 

 

AFTER GRANDAD LEAVES the next day, Mummy calls Dad and cancels the Australia trip. There is yelling. There is negotiation.

          Eventually they decided I will go to Beechwood for four weeks of the summer, then visit Dad at his home in Colorado, where I've never been. He insists. He will not lose the whole summer with me or there will be lawyers involved.

          Mummy rings the aunts. She has long, private conversations with them on the porch of our house. I can't hear anything except a few phrases: Jessica is so fragile, needs a lot of rest; Only four weeks, not the whole summer; Nothing should disturb her, the healing is very gradual; Also, pinot grigio, Sancerre, maybe some Riesling; deifinitely not chardonnay.

 

 

 


To Beechwood we go~